Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuddle TH400 Stall ordered, few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuddle TH400 Stall ordered, few questions.

I just ordered a 4000 stall from fuddle which is this deal:

High-Performance/Street Converter - $555

Built by Hand
Built to your specs with stalls available up to 5500 RPM
245mm Conversion Lock-up Converter
Uses an anti-ballooning plate for power-adder and nitrous applications
Rated to 900 ft-lbs
Has a billet front cover and larger clutch, allowing the converter to be locked at WOT

But it's for a TH400 so it has the steel stator which is a little stronger according to the gentlemen I spoke with and a little pricier at $595. Also it's obviously not a lock up deal. It's rated for 900 ft-lbs which i'm sure i'll never exceed in my 434 c5-r headed pump gas motor with a possible shot of juice down the road. Now for the question.

I have the option to either spec out the bolt pattern of the front half of the stall for a ls1 flex plate or a standard flex plate. This car is being converted from a manual so I don't have a flex plate yet. I have the choice of either one so which should I go for and why (stronger, cheaper, no odd mounting provisions, etc. etc.)???

Thanks, and any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default lock-up

the only one l know that has a lock up system for the th400 is yank. just putting a lock up tc on the 400 does not mean it will be a L-U
Old 01-23-2006, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by john kilgore
the only one l know that has a lock up system for the th400 is yank. just puting a lock up on the 400 does not mean it will be a L-U

It's not a lock up converter like the 4L60E, the one for the th400 is different. Thanks though
Old 01-23-2006, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got off the phone with TCI and they indicated their flexplate will work with either a converter set up for the ls1 bolt pattern or the standard bolt pattern. He did indicate something about the pilot being longer or something for the ls1. Do you guys know of this issue or have anything to add to that? I'm a little unclear about what he's saying. Thanks.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The vette/LT1 converters will not fit a shaft made for an LS1 converter. You need to choose which set-up and go with it so everything is consistent. Good choices exist for both, so I am not aware that there is a best answer.

It is not a big deal to drill holes in the flexplate to accomodate the bolt pattern. When Yank came out with the Extreme series, I had to do that to my stock flexplate. It spinned to 6800 without any vibration that I could detect.