Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hurst shifter on 4L60E?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 11:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hurst shifter on 4L60E?

Hey guys, just saw a picture of the Hurst Hauler Trans Am stationwagon and I saw how the builder put a Hurst Pistol Grip shifter over the stock shifter and I was just wondering how it was done? I e-mailed Hurst about it and this is what they told me "The Hurst Hauler was a custom car done by a car builder. He used the stock 4L60E but fit the grip on to the stock shifter." Didn't know how this could be done cause I think it looks real nice and wouldn't be expensive to do. Here's a link to the Hurst Hauler from ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hurst...QQcmdZViewItem if you scroll down and look at the interior pics you can see the shifter. They even used the stock console and doesn't even look like they modified it.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:55 PM
TECH Resident

This is how Hurst said it's done "They took a pistol grip handle and placed a helicoil in it to match the thread size of the stock shifter." What exactly is a helicoil?
Old 01-30-2006, 07:22 AM
TECH Addict

helicoil? a steel coil (like a tightly coiled spring) that is used to repair stripped bolt holes, the edges of the coil serve as the new threads. They come in varing sizes, thus they most likely used the coil to make the hole smaller or drilled it out and used the coil to thread the hole.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:58 AM
TECH Resident

It's been a while since this was talked about but I'd still like to attempt the install. I've been researching on the helicoils and such and wondering if anyone else has tried to attempt a shifter install like this? If so what all was involved in making it fit properly?
Old 05-25-2006, 12:38 AM
TECH Resident

Anyone?

Quick Reply: Hurst shifter on 4L60E?