Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Thud" coming from underneath the car.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 12:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Thud" coming from underneath the car.

I'm placing this under multiple forums because I don't know what it is.

Ok, so I have some weird thud coming from the bottom of my car. I just drove it for the first time since I put it in my garage for winter tonight. It ran fine, but I have a thud coming from the bottom. When I accelerate normally, up to about 30+ or so and let off, I get a thud. I'm thinking it's coming from somewhere near the tranny [automatic] or from the tranny itself.

I don't know if the previous owner installed a shift-kit or not, but I know the tranny is really strong under hard acceleration. I can chirp my tires going into 2nd off the line [but I think it's do to having the stock 245/50/16 Eagle RS-A tires]. I don't think one was installed, because I have all the recipts and paperwork from the previous owner, and nothing suggests any tranny work was done.

Also, sometimes when I'm slowing down to a stop, from say 40mph or so, I sometimes hear a thud coming from the underneath the car from the front. Could it be something suspension, tranny, or motor mount related? Or could the exhaust be hitting something when deaccelerating? The previous owner did have a Borla cat-back installed.

Any help?

Here's a list of stuff that I had installed last year since I took ownership if any of it helps. Prothane transmission mount and a 32mm front swaybar with polyurethane endlinks and durometer bushings.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:49 PM
Teching In

Look at the transmission mount, or the torque mount on the back of the transmission. I have a borla cat back, check where it goes over the axle make sure it is not hitting the bottom of the car mine has done that.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gr8whte
transmission mount
+1

Thats the driveshaft hitting the trans tunnel because the trans mount is ripped in two.