Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on 3200 stall

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 01:07 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Question on 3200 stall

I recently pick up a used 3200 vigilante for my car and had a couple of questions about how it is going to drive. The car is dd in the summer months and was wondering if i am going to notice a significant difference under normal driving conditions. When will it lock up? How loose are these converters? I don't want it to drive like my buddies th400 with a 4000. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an ss3200 and it’s not too bad. The car starts to move almost as soon as you give it gas. It’s a lot of fun to play with on the street because under moderate acceleration when the transmission shifts you loose almost no RPM and the car pulls hard. The only negative for me is my exhaust is fairly noisy in the 2 to 3 thousand rpm range so until the converter locks up at about 40 mph the exhaust is loud when cruising around town. Mine is not a DD so the fun factor out weights any other negatives involved. I knocked off 3 tenths in the ¼ mile, I went from 2.1 to 1.8 60’ times. I only had 4 track passes since I installed the converter with more practice launching I should be able to better 60’s
Good Luck Rick
Old 02-17-2006, 09:49 PM
11 Second Club

You'll like the 3200 Vig, during normal driving it will keep your RPM's around 2500 with normal acceleration. It will also roll from a stop without any throttle & should lock up like your stock converter. You will notice a slight increase in fuel burn during city driving & a good 5/10th off your 1/4 time. My 3200 Vig keeps impressing me with the 60's im able to get.

Enjoy.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

The only problem you will have is getting the smile off your face once you drive your car with the Vig installed. In my opinion it is probably the best converter on the market for a mostly street driven, modified, LSx motored car. I have cut 1.5 60' times with mine and yet it drives so easy on the street.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:28 AM
12 Second Club

i like my vig. but I may go the route of your friend with the 4000 in my th400. even without a lockup converter i love it and it is alot of fun to drive.

in my eyes i cant consider it loose because i easily got used to it after about 1 week of driving and it feels like stock now to me.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rdewalt
I have an ss3200 and it’s not too bad. The car starts to move almost as soon as you give it gas. It’s a lot of fun to play with on the street because under moderate acceleration when the transmission shifts you loose almost no RPM and the car pulls hard. The only negative for me is my exhaust is fairly noisy in the 2 to 3 thousand rpm range so until the converter locks up at about 40 mph the exhaust is loud when cruising around town. Mine is not a DD so the fun factor out weights any other negatives involved. I knocked off 3 tenths in the ¼ mile, I went from 2.1 to 1.8 60’ times. I only had 4 track passes since I installed the converter with more practice launching I should be able to better 60’s
Good Luck Rick

Good review, but I believe the Vigilante 3200 is quite a bit looser than the Yank SS3200 which is designed to be "tight". The Yank is an extremely efficient converter also, actually more so than stock, and I'm not sure about the Vigilante in this regard. Both good converters, but if you're looking for a close to stock feel the Yank SS3200 probably is the one you want.
Ed
Old 02-18-2006, 11:46 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool thanks guys for the clarification. Sounds like it will improve the cars fun factor. I will also be adding a transcooler and a shift kit at same time so reliability won’t be compromised. I can’t wait till spring so i can put it in. One last question will I have to cut the stock TC bolts?