Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP 4L60E-Can't Remove Input Shaft and Drum

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 10:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP 4L60E-Can't Remove Input Shaft and Drum

I am rebuilding my 4L60E and I have reached a point of frustration. I am unable to remove the input shaft and the drum assembly. I am using a video, with step by step instructions. Everything has gone perfectly until this step. The pump is out, the 2-4 band is out and I was able to pull the band drum. For some reason I am unable to pull out the input shaft assembly. I have pulled and pulled and twisted and pulled. I have done every step exactly like my video shows. I am running the video on my laptop and pausing it after every step to make sure I am not missing something. I do see several cracks in the input drum and I think that something inside may be broken and causing it to not come out. If anyone can help me figure this out I would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
KAH
Old 03-05-2006, 07:53 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's probably stuck on the 3-4 clutches because they are fried. Or your front planet and sun gear are screwed up do to a bearing failure. These are the reasons why the professionals get paid the big bucks....
Old 03-05-2006, 08:57 AM
Launching!

Agreed. I just tore down a core yesterday and had to break the input housing to remove it. Either the 3-4 cluthes got so hot they are welded together or the input planet is broken causing it to get stuck. Be very careful trying to pry it out. The housing is cheaper then the case, so if you have to sacrifice something, sacrifice the input housing (depending on what failed, the bottom of the housing may be ground down, making it useless anyway).
Old 03-07-2006, 11:30 PM
Teching In

Talking Thanks Everyone

I was able to remove the input shaft - finally. The input drum is toast. The planetary grars were toast as well. The case is OK, but man - something ugly took place in there the day it left me on the road. No warning, just made a loud grinind noise and that was all she wrote... I appreciate the replies, and have a special thanks to Probult Automatics for contacting me with a suggestion for getting the shaft and drum out, saving my case. I have ordered the parts, and eagerly await their arrival. BTW - I just bought a K5 Blazer 4x4, that I am restoring for my 16 year old daughter. She has been working on it with me the past few months. We are going to tackle the trans on this one as well. For such a large vehicle, does anyone have any suggestions/input related to the trans on this vehicle. 350 V8, with a 700-r4 tranny.

Thanks again for the responses.

KAH
Old 11-01-2022, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by khorseman
I was able to remove the input shaft - finally. The input drum is toast. The planetary grars were toast as well. The case is OK, but man - something ugly took place in there the day it left me on the road. No warning, just made a loud grinind noise and that was all she wrote... I appreciate the replies, and have a special thanks to Probult Automatics for contacting me with a suggestion for getting the shaft and drum out, saving my case. I have ordered the parts, and eagerly await their arrival. BTW - I just bought a K5 Blazer 4x4, that I am restoring for my 16 year old daughter. She has been working on it with me the past few months. We are going to tackle the trans on this one as well. For such a large vehicle, does anyone have any suggestions/input related to the trans on this vehicle. 350 V8, with a 700-r4 tranny.

Thanks again for the responses.

KAH
Hi, how do you remove it? I have the same issue

Quick Reply: HELP 4L60E-Can't Remove Input Shaft and Drum