Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worst time to go WOT

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 01:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just drive the dam thing if you beat on it it will eventually break... but just to add i beat the **** out of my car and i leave it in 4th even though i knoe the 4-2 shift is suppose to be the weaklink in a 4l60e i think so long as you keep things cool your tranny woll probally enjoy a long life....if your really worried id put th selector in 3rd before a race this way you dont have to come out of overdrive on the wot downshift
Old 03-31-2006, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jpr5690
just drive the dam thing if you beat on it it will eventually break... but just to add i beat the **** out of my car and i leave it in 4th even though i knoe the 4-2 shift is suppose to be the weaklink in a 4l60e i think so long as you keep things cool your tranny woll probally enjoy a long life....if your really worried id put th selector in 3rd before a race this way you dont have to come out of overdrive on the wot downshift
But you see that is the problem, read back a few posts and see the correct way to do this.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jpr5690
? ? ? ? ?
Old 03-31-2006, 01:46 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I just replace mine every couple of months I drive a heavy *** truck though.

Ive heard before that the worst thing for the 4l60's is the WOT 4-2 downshift. I dont understand enough to know why, but I know that of the trannys Ive fried since September, most have lost the 3-4 clutch pak. I dont know where the 4-2 downshift comes into play here, or if it does, but if you are making a lot of power and drive the **** out of it it WILL break. Thats when you get a real one built.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:34 PM
Teching In

All this **** is confusing the hell out of me. For racing a 1/4 mile from a dead stop with no tranny work(no converter or cooler), whats better D or OD?
Old 03-31-2006, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Madmax054
All this **** is confusing the hell out of me. For racing a 1/4 mile from a dead stop with no tranny work(no converter or cooler), whats better D or OD?

like stated earlier..from a stop leave it in OD..from a roll...drop it into D but as you do it press the gas to keep the rpm's up so it doesnt drop hard into the lower gear..
Old 04-09-2006, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

this thread is retarded. we will never know the answer because people arent talking about the same thing in each reply. some are talking 4-2 shift others are talking 4-3 shift. i argued with a local tranny builder about tearing up the tranny from leaving it in OD and he said it doesnt hurt it going 4-3. i then tried to explain to him that it was going4-2 not 4-3 and he said that the tranny doesnt do that and if it did it still wouldnt tear it up. as rough as that shift(4-2) feels i guarantee its hurting something or at least wearing it out faster. heck, i killed my tranny in 10k miles racing about 3-4 cars a month every time from a roll. so in 3 months i killed my tranny but 4-2 has nothing to do with it???? btw, i race from a roll cuz i have no traction from a stop in my pickup. basically, if you think you are tearing something up you probably are so stop doing it or buy a better tranny.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by pSSycotic
like stated earlier..from a stop leave it in OD..from a roll...drop it into D but as you do it press the gas to keep the rpm's up so it doesnt drop hard into the lower gear..
I think the confusion here is that in the Camaro you have an OD and D...for the Pontiacs its just 1-2-3-D, with D being the OD...
Old 04-09-2006, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ohohsilverado
this thread is retarded. basically, if you think you are tearing something up you probably are so stop doing it or buy a better tranny.
best line of this thread..just drive it and if and when it breaks...build it stonger and drive it somemore...if you cant afford it then get a honda.. you pay to play..if you race shyts goin to break and if you make any power its goin to break something sooner or later...just have fun untill it happens! IMO
Old 04-09-2006, 07:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by pSSycotic
HA i wish....if im gion 60-70 and floor it...my downshifts dont catch and it will redline until i get off the gas and then it catches... i need to fix it....any other time it shifts very firm...any ideas of what to do to fix it...im plannin on a tranny cooler next week
I experience the same thing. I'm guessing this is the 4-2 shift everyone speaks of. Is this something that can be solved with a simple rebuild or does this mean don't waste your time and spend the 3k on a hardcore built MotherF$%*(U?