Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tranny will not go into reverse and redlines 1st

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006 | 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by O-townLS1
aod in your notch? i am tranny illiterate remember?
Stock automatic in my old mustang notchback.
Old 04-06-2006 | 07:05 PM
Banned

for the guy who requested some 4l60e info the 3/4 clutches are on in 4th gear and if they werent with band applied it would go back to second.NOW here is how the 700 works:first gear front planet is on in reduction,second gear front planet is still on but overdriven by the rear planet,third gear by driving the reaction tube and rear carrier the pinions cannot rotate thus the front and rear sets are locked together.fourth gear the rear planet produces overdrive ratio by once again holding the rear sun gear as in second except the front planet is inneffective as the reaction shaft drives the rear carrier causing the pinions to rotate in the rear carrier around the grounded sun gear thus driving the rear ring gear and output shaft.so with this known it would infer that the rear sun gear and drive shell are stopped instantly on a wot upshift and this can cause spline strippage without the use of a premium type shell.also power transmittal through the pinion gears from stationary in third to power transmission when overdriven can cause chipping.the reaction shaft is already in motion so it does not recieve a shock load.remember overdrive in general without the technical end is to provide an output speed faster than input .on the 4l60 not the 4l60e even with perfornmance valve bodies (except for a few)you cant auto shift into 4th at wide open throttle without backing out of the throttle enough to close the detent hole in the plunger that feeds the tv upshift circuit its shift delay oil (regulated from 0psi at closed throttle to 90 psi wot ).this allows the goverer psi to win the fight against modulated tv upshift oils influence in shiftvalve position at the tv upshift sleeve by reducing it to less than governer (also shift land diameter and a calibrated shift valve spring.with the new gm 5 pinion planets ,our heat treated reaction tube,e4340 output shafts ,and proper valve body calibrations id say your safe to about 450 horsepower with a genuiene wot upshift into 4th.this is with a functioning 4th accumulator circuit and one with the proper accumulator spring in the valve body for the application as well as finding a SMALL accumulator valve and bushing.ckperformance
Old 04-06-2006 | 10:25 PM
On The Tree

i think i just went braindead but thanks alot for the info chris. this is why i dont like auto trannys. too complicated. but thanks anyways
Old 04-07-2006 | 11:21 PM
On The Tree

got the car back with the sheet saying what all they did. shell, bands, filter, fluid, and an overhaul kit. he also told me i have a 3000 stall on my car and i had no idea it was on there.they also replaced the shell with a beast shell. good news sometimes comes in bad places huh?