Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L65E comes in what vehicles?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 06:23 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Crap, I thought I was on the powerstroke forum.
Nevermind.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 574 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28
Crap, I thought I was on the powerstroke forum.
Nevermind.

yea you seem to do a lot of stroking.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:07 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

You want to know why I can't take this thread serious....

You give someone a list of vehicles to look for in a junkyard it doesn't guarantee that any certain vehicle still has a real 4L65E in it. It can have the case and all the numbers, but due to the age, what if it's been burnt up and rebuilt?
Is it sound advice to tell someone to just grab the transmission out of a six liter escalade without warning them it might not really be the original 65E? It might be an escalade case (so the number is right) with s10 internals and a '99+ silverado front. (NOT THAT IT WOULD EVEN MATTER)
Grandma brings her escalade in for a transmission you know there are people out there with your every day 4L60E on the shelf and it's going in grandmas truck. Saves money, time, etc.

I've seen it. I go to junkyards a lot. I flip small parts even. You know how much money you can make when the junkyard is having a 50% off sale and you can pull 2 C4 corvette tail housings off for $10 each and sell them on ebay for $120 each gross in pocket profit. Same with 4th gen f-body tails, about the same profit.
(my best flip to date is a $32 Magnum SRT8 gauge cluster with 65,000 miles, sold for $340) I even just bought a charger SRT8 hood complete with the ducting, scoop, and insulation for $41. I just painted it and put it on my car, OEM, not a dent on it. Right now Cleveland pull and pay has one on ebay empty for almost $500, and they're selling the duct and scoop for ridiculous more.

My point is, I'm not jumping under a kia to make $5. Also the corvette transmissions I see have the tailshafts sloppy cut down (they came from the factory cut down but neater) This means it's a regular run of the mill 4L60 (non E) Usually have a regular governor and even a 554 servo. So what happened to the corvette part of it....

Someone paid the bill and drove away without a clue. Just like grandma.

But no, that's not important. What is important is making sure the "wrong" guy on the internet is corrected. All I have to do is type a few words and the whole thread turns into "we've got to prove this guy wrong" forget about good advice, whats that?
Ethics is not correcting someone. Observing this behaviour speaks volumes. Why has my attitude changed in this forum, think about it.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 574 Likes on 445 Posts

You want to know why I can't take this thread serious....

You give someone a list of vehicles to look for in a junkyard it doesn't guarantee that any certain vehicle still has a real 4L65E in it. It can have the case and all the numbers, but due to the age, what if it's been burnt up and rebuilt?
Is it sound advice to tell someone to just grab the transmission out of a six liter escalade without warning them it might not really be the original 65E? It might be an escalade case (so the number is right) with s10 internals and a '99+ silverado front. (NOT THAT IT WOULD EVEN MATTER)
Grandma brings her escalade in for a transmission you know there are people out there with your every day 4L60E on the shelf and it's going in grandmas truck. Saves money, time, etc.

I've seen it. I go to junkyards a lot. I flip small parts even. You know how much money you can make when the junkyard is having a 50% off sale and you can pull 2 C4 corvette tail housings off for $10 each and sell them on ebay for $120 each gross in pocket profit. Same with 4th gen f-body tails, about the same profit.
(my best flip to date is a $32 Magnum SRT8 gauge cluster with 65,000 miles, sold for $340) I even just bought a charger SRT8 hood complete with the ducting, scoop, and insulation for $41. I just painted it and put it on my car, OEM, not a dent on it. Right now Cleveland pull and pay has one on ebay empty for almost $500, and they're selling the duct and scoop for ridiculous more.

My point is, I'm not jumping under a kia to make $5. Also the corvette transmissions I see have the tailshafts sloppy cut down (they came from the factory cut down but neater) This means it's a regular run of the mill 4L60 (non E) Usually have a regular governor and even a 554 servo. So what happened to the corvette part of it....

Someone paid the bill and drove away without a clue. Just like grandma.

But no, that's not important. What is important is making sure the "wrong" guy on the internet is corrected. All I have to do is type a few words and the whole thread turns into "we've got to prove this guy wrong" forget about good advice, whats that?
Ethics is not correcting someone. Observing this behaviour speaks volumes. Why has my attitude changed in this forum, think about it.

you seem to be a trouble maker. Can you just stop already?
Old 11-12-2019, 08:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,246 Likes on 871 Posts

Originally Posted by vorteciroc
I was actually going to look up exactly which vehicle models and sub-models were built with the "65" variant transmission in my engineering documents.

However, I then thought to myself...

Why bother! It is not like the "65" is really anything special over the "60".
I was not trying to start any ****.

I simply feel that a person hunting for a "65" Trans over a "60" Trans is a waste of time; when the beneficial upgrades (no need for the 5 pinion planets) can be added to any "60" Trans very inexpensively.
Or even upgrade well past the point of what the "65" Trans would offer.

There is no reason to look for any specific version of this transmission; except for the type that physically mates to the vehicle/ engine most easily.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,244 Likes on 800 Posts

I mean...if you would have made that point from the get go...we probably all would have been on your bus. I know guys that will intentionally swap 5 pinions for 4 pinions when they get an escalade through their shop, and then upsell the 5 pinions next time they have a performance build. It's shady and I despise that action...but I know it happens.
so if you would have led with "these came with one, but it might not end up having that if you junkyard pull one, and regardless it doesn't really matter"

However, just to say that the vehicles never even came with a 65...that's not giving good advice, that is just misinformation.
p.s. quit thinking the world is out to get you. Take the tinfoil hat off and stop thinking that a bunch of random guys on the internet are set out to prove you wrong or make you look silly on this forum.
Old 11-13-2019, 03:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1
I mean...if you would have made that point from the get go...we probably all would have been on your bus. I know guys that will intentionally swap 5 pinions for 4 pinions when they get an escalade through their shop, and then upsell the 5 pinions next time they have a performance build. It's shady and I despise that action...but I know it happens.
so if you would have led with "these came with one, but it might not end up having that if you junkyard pull one, and regardless it doesn't really matter"

However, just to say that the vehicles never even came with a 65...that's not giving good advice, that is just misinformation.
p.s. quit thinking the world is out to get you. Take the tinfoil hat off and stop thinking that a bunch of random guys on the internet are set out to prove you wrong or make you look silly on this forum.

When did i say: "the vehicles never even came with a 65"?

I Think there be some confusion... LOL!
Old 11-13-2019, 03:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,244 Likes on 800 Posts

I was referring back to jays...not you vortec.
my comment was in response to post#23
Old 12-30-2019, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope, you need to get a clue dumbass.
I have a 2005 h2 hummer with the 6.0 and I have a 4L65E in it trust me I know because this is my second one and I’m looking for a third
Old 12-30-2019, 11:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Travis Coppersmith
I have a 2005 h2 hummer with the 6.0 and I have a 4L65E in it trust me I know because this is my second one and I’m looking for a third
If you are ever just purchasing a transmission core to rebuild:
Do NOT waste the extra money on a 4L65E transmission.

I tell every customer the same thing...

Purchase the cheapest usable 4L60E core available.
Once rebuilt; the updated parts and aftermarket parts, will make the 4L60E better than any stock 4L65E would be.

Now as far as purchasing a vehicle goes... if the vehicle costs more, simply because of being produced with a 4L65E...
It is not worth it. The only benefit is a better 3-4 clutch pack... and not by very much.
If the vehicle price is not any higher due to having a 4L65E... Then, whatever... go for it!

Quick Reply: 4L65E comes in what vehicles?