Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny Pros Come on in....

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 10:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chris718
first check the seals.you stated that you had trouble installing the servo which indicates the possibility that the seal is folded over or ripped.now for those who are interested,my valve body kit doesnt reinvent the circuit but this is what i found out.if a 2/3 flair happens during a 2/3 ratio change and the band and 3/4 clutch hydraulic circuits are funtional :THE FLAIR IS CAUSED BY THE BAND BEING KNOCKED OFF AND THE 3/4 PACK NOT APPLIED.THE INCREASE IN ENGINE RPM IS CAUSED BY THE TRANSMISSION RETURNING TO ITS FIRST GEAR RATIO BECAUSE WE ARE NOW BACK AGaIN TO THE USE OF THE FORWARD CLUTCHES DRIVING THE INPUT SUN GEAR INTO THE FRONT RING GEAR AT A RATIO OF 3.06 :1 AND AS SUCH HAVE REMOVED THE REAR PLANETS ROLE OUT OF THE PICTURE.now i am very aware of how the circuit works and also would like to note that there are other ways to accomplish third gear clutch apply that dont introduce the possibility of a tie up or flare for the end user.also there is 2 different 2/3 circuits between the 4l60e and 700 .assumtively we are speaking of the 4l60,although gear train operation is shared between these 2 transmissions.playing with these circuits also changes 3/2 kickdown apply rates even with the presence of a 3/2 control valve to modify exhaust rate based on transmoission output speed as well as ecm program.

Gotcha! Can you PM me a quote for a new separator plate with gaskets shipped to 55303 by Tuesday?

Note to Pro Built: I would try to shrink the one hole but I dont have access to a welder and it would cost me more to have my buddy drive his welder over to my place than it would to just buy a new one

Thanks all!

Hopefully this fixes the problem!
Old 04-22-2006, 01:50 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh

I don't know how the hell you just break the inner seal on the second piston, it's one hell of a coincidence that you just put in a shift kit but the broken seals are causing it to have the same problem the big holes made my trans have.
Thats the servo piston I was thinking of the last blown out second piston I found, it was in a 4L80E....might want to ignore that comment
Old 04-22-2006, 06:42 PM
Banned

beyond a damaged seal on the piston and for those who may have been misinformed by others regarding the hydraulic principles at work during this condition:3/4 clutch clearance is not the cause of the flare.this pack will function with 8 lined frictions with anywhere between .040" and ..080" clutch pack end play.(i use .040")it is the biasing and orificing of oil and its paths in the 2/3 accumulator/ feed circuit that is at work here.also depending on throttle angle the amount of regulated accumulator pressure in the 1/2 accumulator circuit acting on the opposite side of accumulator piston where the presence of 2nd feed oil circuit builds up and accumulates to apply the band via the servo piston constantly varies .this introduces throttle sensitve clamping pressures .these pressures and their influence on third clutch apply constantly change ( although their action should be considered predictable and graphable based on the knowledge of boost valve size ,pr system in use etc) and therefore require orifice,flow ,and bias rates based on intended use as well as hydraulic function.third oil sent to knock the band off does this without evacuating the or exhausting 2nd band apply oil.it is still present but the inner piston is larger (third accumulator piston) than the second piston therefore its base psi or clamping force is multiplied to a larger value than an opposing oil supply(2nd gear oil) with an equal value in psi but a smaller apply area.this is how it releases the band.this must be done in synchronicity as to not send the transmission back to first gear via a hydraulic glitch that interrupts planetary geartrain power flow.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL, problem fixed. New separator plate + 0.093 holes = a shifting transmission

Thanks 8a8mfh

Thanks to everyone else too for the ideas. I chose this route just for the simple fact that I wanted this over with!
Old 04-24-2006, 05:35 PM
Banned

Quick Reply: Tranny Pros Come on in....