Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trans problem... HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 11:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans problem... HELP

ok, so i have an 05 GTO and i recently bought a fuddle racing 3200 stall converter and a shift kit. i installed both of them, but i ended up getting pulse width modulation. ive been trying to get my tuner to mess with my tune to take car of it, but we havent been able to meet up. anyways, im driving around base today and the car is acting weird. im not getting the PWM anymore and if i let off the gas in 4th the RPMS drop to 500 (like its in neutral). so after i left base, i notice that it really didnt shift into 4th and the RPMS didnt drop much. they droped 200 MAYBE whereas it used to be close to a grand (its only an estimate but i know it wasnt 200). so my question is, WTF is up? i was told that the PWM wouldnt hurt the trans, so i wasnt pushing my tuner to get it done. was that a bad decision? the stuff has been in for over a month now and hasnt done anything like this before.

also, i checked the fluid and it was full, and it didnt look brown or burnt

someone help me please

Last edited by 05gto60; 05-16-2006 at 11:55 PM.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:42 AM
11 Second Club

BUMP

anyone?
Old 05-17-2006, 10:23 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Pulse width modulation is the factory torque converter clutch lock-up system. What do you mean by saying you were having PWM?
Old 05-18-2006, 12:06 AM
11 Second Club

from fuddle racing's site
There is no partial apply on the converter clutch. Lock up is either on or off. PWM is used to get the effect of a partial apply. Your transimssion uses a solenoid to very quickly "pulse" the clutch on and off. With a stock torque converter's clutch, it isn't usually even noticed. This is because the clutch is made of a material that is allowed to slip. The aggressive non-slip clutch material used by Fuddle Racing, this pulsing occasionally is audible. By simply installing even some of the most basic shift kits, you can completely eliminate PWM.
basically the car felt and made a noise simiallar to pushing a wooden chair back on a lenolium(sp?) floor. it made this weird noise and took a second, but then went into 4th.

is there anyway that this solenoid craped out and i need to replace it?

i noticed today that the car "shifted" into 4th, but was at 2200rpms in 4th, but after i let off the gas and gave it part throttle again it would be under 2K (around 1800). so the car isnt fully shifting into 4th unless i let off the gas
Old 05-18-2006, 01:15 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 05gto60

i noticed today that the car "shifted" into 4th, but was at 2200rpms in 4th, but after i let off the gas and gave it part throttle again it would be under 2K (around 1800). so the car isnt fully shifting into 4th unless i let off the gas
Keith,
Is it possible that you are confusing the 4th gear shift with the TCC lockup?
As you know, my car is set up very similar to yours. I have noticed that my TCC lockup will occur later if the transmission is under load than it will when I induce early lockup by letting off the throttle. In either case, the TCC lockup can be felt (almost like a small gear change) and the engine speed will drop a few hundred rpm when it does lock.

The increased rpm that you are noticing can be attributed to the looseness of the converter if you are checking it before TCC lockup with engine speed less than the rated stall of your converter. Yours may be more pronounced than mine, since you have a higher stall converter.

Does this make sense to you; or have I completely misread what you are saying?
John
Old 05-18-2006, 01:43 AM
11 Second Club

i get what your saying, but its weird that my PWM went away after doing nothing. plus, its not even droping the RPMS till after i let off the gas, but it used to have PWM and then shift (fully) into 4th with my foot still on the gas (part throttle of course)
Old 05-18-2006, 01:50 AM
11 Second Club

plus, i dont remember the trans going into neutral when its in 4th and i let off the gas. i could be wrong, but i seriously dont remember that.

my thinking is that
A) something was wrong before, but everything is fine and the way its suppost to be now
or (and im leaning more towards this)
B) everything (besides PWM) was right before and something else is wrong now
Old 05-18-2006, 08:10 AM
Pontiacerator

You don't notice PWM - it's not something you perceive. By PWM, do you mean lock-up? That since installing the converter you don't have lock-up? If you're really going into neutral when you let of the gas in fourth, your 3-4 clutch pack may not be holding. Does it do the same thing in third? Or it may be a perception issue caused by a converter that is failing to lock-up. You may have a defective converter that is not locking.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:10 AM
11 Second Club

how do you perceive PWM and not notice it? it seemed obvious right after i had the verter installed cause the car was locking/unlocking the verter inbetween 3/4 shifts and on light throttle in 3rd and 4th

i havent tried letting of the gas in 3rd and seeing what it does. but are you saying that if it does it in 3rd and 4th its the clutch pack, but if its 4th only, its the verter?
Old 05-18-2006, 11:18 AM
Banned

Stop it!!! what shift kit did you install? Hope this helps...Dave
Old 05-18-2006, 11:42 AM
11 Second Club

i put the transgo 4L60E-HD2-C kit in along with the corvette servos
Old 05-18-2006, 01:18 PM
11 Second Club

well, now my check engine light just came on. the dealership wanted $110 to read them because they have to diagnose it. i tried one autozone, but their scan tool didnt work, so im gonna try another one in a little while. i tried to have the car show me the codes on the display, but it showed all zeros (like there isnt any). so im guessing something happened, but went away.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:09 PM
11 Second Club

well, i got the codes read, and the first one was P0700, trans control malfuntion. the other one was P0894, trans comp slipping. i have no clue exactly what they mean. i just pulled the negative off the battery to reset them, and to see if maybe the TCM needed to be reset too.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:12 PM
11 Second Club

bump

theres some new info and i wonder if this helps diagnose the problem.

also, someone at work was saying that it could be the valve body. he was saying that on some ford kits they reccomend going back and retorqueing the valve body bolts. he then went to say that it might be the bands or clutches. that got me worried cause thats gonna cost a lot of money that i dont wanna spend
Old 05-18-2006, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Do a search...the loose converter is causing the pcm to throw the codes. I recall other threads say you have to disable the codes with some type of tuner (Edit, HP Tuners, EFIlive etc.)
Old 05-19-2006, 12:36 AM
11 Second Club

the thing is, ive had the converter in for over a month with no codes, just PWM. it just threw those codes for the first time today since it started acting weird yesterday.

also what weird is the fact that on my way home it started working right. it shifting into 4th, with PWM, but went right from 3rd to 4th without me letting off the gas. of course, as soon as i get home and go back out it went back to not shifting.

im thinking the valve body may be loose. im gonna try re-torqueing the bolts and see what happens
Old 05-19-2006, 02:05 PM
11 Second Club

well, i droped the pan to just to see if there was a bolt loose on the valve body. there wasnt, but there was aluminum in the pan. it was a bright aluminum and some darker stuff too. i think 4th gear might be shot, either bands or clutches

someone help please
Old 05-19-2006, 06:27 PM
Banned

Not with aluminum, sounds more like a pump to me ...then again it's only a guess....realizing that it's been in a month....I would think that it would never had made it off the jacks...kinda wierd what you've got going there...btw when you installed the transgo you went from pwm to on-off with reguards to lock up...Hope this helps... Dave
Old 05-19-2006, 07:10 PM
11 Second Club

well, i took it to a trans shop today and described the problems to the guy and he said that it sounds like the converter is shot. i dont know how or why, but im gonna get ahold of the manufacturer and find out what can be done.

what do you mean i went from PWM to on-off? i thought PWM was the car locking/unlocking the trans?

also, i dont know jack about the trans hence the tons of questions. thanks for the help
Old 05-19-2006, 07:47 PM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by 05gto60
what do you mean i went from PWM to on-off? i thought PWM was the car locking/unlocking the trans?
This is what we've been trying to explain to you since the beginning of the thread ... PWM is the factory system for applying the converter clutch. It modulates the apply on the basis of various parameters. With a Transgo kit, the clutch is either 100% applied or not applied, period. So anyway, as stated above, it sounds like your converter lock-up is not working ...