Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning or 3-4 Toasted

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Tuning or 3-4 Toasted

Background: A local builder supposedly rebuilt my 4l60E along with a transgo kit. I have put about 10 k easy miles on the transmission. Engine hp with h/c put out 370 rwhp. Car has a vig 3200 stall.

Car has made about 6 passes at the dragstrip. Last 3 passes last summer. Car was not hotlapped. Car has not seen street racing. All miles driven in city and 200 mile city to city in my state.

I parked the car in storage last fall. Car drove well with no tranny problems prior to storing the car for the winter. I disconnected the Optima battery ground and positive while in storage.

This spring I took the car out of storage. I drove the car a block and the car would not shift into 3 and 4. It would just rev up and not move. 1 and 2 work and car has reverse.

Thinking that it was because I had disconnected the battery and the pcm was in limp mode, I reflashed the pcm with the three different tunes each of which had worked prior to putting the car in storage. Last two reflashes where minor mods to stop surge and keep the TQ from locking and unlocking at 40 -45 mph.

Any ideas what is possibly wrong?. I have read here that 3 and 4 are gone.

Is it possible it has thrown some codes and locking the 3-4 solenoids or are are 3-4 gone?

Tranny is full, no leakage, no contaminants visible in the fluid, however, I haven't dropped the pan yet. It's will be easy to drain as I have a TCI deep pan with plug.

I plan on installing a RockOn for FLP level 5 to replace it as I am going with a forged short block, but don't want to order and install a new tranny and then have same problem if it's a tuning issue.

Any ideas what to confirm or check first.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 05-21-2006 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:44 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you tuning this? Sounds like it. If so can you log the transmission states? A "built" tranny should last alot longer than what you describe. Especially if as you describe it was working prior to storage. Sorry but need more info. Something doesn't add up here.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't say what you're tuning with. I tune with HPTuners, with that I can make a few selections and put it in third gear through the tuning. Have you tried that?
Old 05-21-2006, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

The only tuning I attempted was to up the mph for lockup, attempting to get rid of TQ locking and unlocking constantly between 38-45 mph (while driving in the city). Sometimes it even felt like it was locking and locking at 66-70 too

However, because I thought what few changes I made possibly threw some code, I reflashed back to the original tune (from a professional tuner...who is 700 miles away). But same results.

I also tried a tune from Wait4me...an EFI live tuner. Same results. No 3-4.

I used Edit to reflash, but also have EFI Flashscan. I haven't successfully flashed a tune with EFI (got a new cable from Ross but haven't tried it yet...another issue)

I can scan with EFI live while driving in 1 and 2 but don't know what PID's to set to check for codes for tranmission failures...if there are any. Sorry am still a newb...and if the tuner wasn't 700 miles away I would have them do it.