Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Urgent: Car shifts strange.. esp with AC on.. Tranny Experts plz step in!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 05:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Urgent: Car shifts strange.. esp with AC on.. Tranny Experts plz step in!!

-= Long Detailed Post =-

Ok.. this started happening a while back [ with all the mods in sig + original tranny ] .. When the car would be cold, it ran fine until it warmed up.. and then, from a dig, it shifted really strange from 2-3rd gear .. esp with the AC on.

I would step on the gas a bit [not pushing it hard at all] with the AC/Fan on and the car would shift really quick into 2nd and then the RPMs would climb but the car would barely move.. almost like it has no power.. Got worse and I took it in for a check to TTPerformance, where I get everything done on my TA..

It appeared as if the tranny was done [ car had 120K miles on it...] and, since I was looking to change it anyways, this accelerated the process.. I managed to find a low miles [23K] 4l60e from a 02 SS and it went in... But, the problem wasn't solved!.. same shift issue was there again...

So, took the car back in and it was put on the dyno ... Turns out the TC [Vigilante 3600] doesn't lock up and so the TC was messed up [ or so it appeared ] ...

Then, I managed to get a TCI SSF 3500 TC [used ~ 1000 miles ] and that went in a couple of days ago..

Now, the TC locks up.. so that's taken care of.. However, the car still refuses to shift smoothly 2 -3 rd It's fine when the engine is cold, but after warming up OR with the AC/Fan on, it'll do it again ...

Now, I'm at my witts end as to what else could be causing this ??? The shift point were adjusted when the car was tuned originally [with the TC in along with all the mods in sig.. a little over a year ago]

ANY insights would be helpful... Could it be the shift points ?

I'm scheduled for a dyno/retune (if req) tomo [Sat] @ TTP again, so that should give a clearer picture [ I hope... ] Just keeping my fingers crossed that a tune fixes this issue and I hope it isn't the valve body.. which wouldn't make sense because I had this issue with :

1 - Original Tranny + Vigilante 3600 TC [ didn't lock up + messed up 2 -3rd shift ]
2 - New Tranny + Vigilante 3600 TC [ same issue as above ]

And, Now

3 - New Tranny + TCI SSF 3500 TC [ Locks up now, but shifts still messed up!! ]

I don't see how both trannies could be messed up with the same problem!

Sorry about the redundancy, but I will really appreciate all inputs!!!

Thanks alot

Rahul
Old 06-09-2006, 05:06 PM
10 Second Club

seems like it could be tuned out. jimmyblue is one guy who would know exactly what tables to play with, personally i'd start with the good old mph/shift and rpm/shift tables.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:40 PM
Banned

The tranny is NOT new, it is a used transmission. Rahul you also didn't mention to me about rough shifting in 2-3. I thought you were talking about it extending the shifts 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 .. which I noticed when driving the car also. That is definitely not in the tune, and therefore is probably in the clutch packs/bands/etc. The 2-3 part throttle shift has not been adjusted from stock so it should be fine.