Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 Blazer transmission to 2005 Suburban 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 12:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Blazer transmission to 2005 Suburban 5.3

I'm putting a 5.3 into my 96 S10 Blazer and want to reuse the Blazer 4l60e. What is required in the way of flexplate and adapters or spacers. Can I use the Blazer torque converter and just redrill the 5.3 flexplate holes to match the torque converter. I know about the bolt holes that dont get used because of cylinder in the way and all. Part numbers for adapters or flexplates that work would be appriciated. Thanks. PS. this is a stock 5.3, no mods except maybe headers and CAI. Thanks
Old 06-28-2006, 11:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would not recommend that swap your talking about putting a transmission from a vehilce that weights what? less than 5000 pounds and putting it in a suburban that is probably a good 1500 pounds or more heavier than the blazer. the orifaces are smaller on the blazer transmission and you'll smoke the clutches out of that tranny due to lack of oil getting to the clutches due to the extra weight it will be trying to help pull. its the same as towing in overdrive all the time.
if you do this swap you'll have the 3-4 clutches burn up and a rebuilder will be putting in a new set of 3-4 clutches every 3-6 months wondering why they keep getting burned up. get a tranny out of another suburban or full size truck and you should be able to avoid problem such as that.

Last edited by Cody Brooks; 06-28-2006 at 11:17 PM.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe my header was missleading. Sorry. The transmission is staying in my Blazer if I can use it. The 5.3 is out of the suburban. Thanks for the responce though. The s10 forums seemed to ignore my question. Don't think many people have swapped LSx's into the s10s and kept their old tranny. Thanks again.