Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are TCI converters good?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 06:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JNorris
It is my understanding that most if not all converter companies use some refurbished or OEM parts in their converter builds. The internals and the billet steel cover are new but the core itself in most cases are refurbished GM or Ford cores.
Well i'll be damned...still love my Yank tho. And after looking at all different companies myself and hearing about certain ones i decided to go Yank. To each his own brother.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HD1911
Well i'll be damned...still love my Yank tho. And after looking at all different companies myself and hearing about certain ones i decided to go Yank. To each his own brother.

That is your choice and a fine one I might add. No one is knocking your choice in converters. I think Yank makes great converters but so do TCI and Precision Industries.

The bottom line is that TCI is not the only company that might be using refurbished or OEM parts in their converter builds.

John
Old 07-12-2006, 02:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my TCI SSF 3500 stall for about three months and 3,000 miles and the clutch went bad and ruined my 23,000 mile stock 4L60E. If you are going to buy a converter buy the best Vigilante. I have also heard great things about Yank. Dont settle for less because eventually you are going to have to fix your trans as well due to the Converter Clutch debris ending up inside of your trans. TCI = Problems.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TCI converters do what they are suppose to do for what you pay.

I got a SSF3500 for about $430. It's very drivable, a little loser than say a Yank, and it's not the most efficient converter. Now the converter works well at the track, I know it could cut low 1.6's on good tire, and was definately a deal for the price. I have been driving this converter for almost 3 years and no problems, the lockup is a little sloppy though and I had to set it higher than I originally wanted, although that is cam related too.

All in all the TCI SS3500 is a great little converter and reliable. I am sure TCI could build a better converter for you if you want to shell out a few hundred more and get a bigger stall with better clutches, smaller dia. etc.

I like TCI converters, although there may be better options, but they are hard to beat for the price.

If it matters I plan on going to a PT4000 soon, although if TCI can build a similar converter I would consider that route too.

Quick Reply: Are TCI converters good?