Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuddle converter

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 01:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Fuddle 3400 2.1 str and have been using it for about 1 year. It is the first line that came out and the newer ones are supposed to be upgraded. I never had any issues with it until I let my car sit for 2 months while getting surgery. Then the PWM acted up more, added a Transgo fix fit and is pretty good now, but since the sit it just doesn't feel right and sometimes WOT on the highway something slips and the rpms jump off the rev limiter. I emailed Fuddle and recieved a really fast response and he offered to replace the converter with the newer model for free. Or apply the difference for a better one. I know the owner had some health issues in the past few months and employees quit etc.... but now, he seems to be standing up to his word and taking care of customers. My issue is now, when I get a new converter I don't want my car at the tranny shop for 2 weeks or more, so I either buy another one now from fuddle and get a refund when my converter gets to them or go with another brand. The 3400 2.1 str stall dropped my times from a normal 13.1 to 12.6 and my 60 foot times went from 1.84's to 1.59.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gregg1LE
Buy one and then you can be an expert.
I have been around these boards for years. I was here when the Colonel was praising TCI and then switched to a Yank. I bought my TCI because of the Colonels results (10's on spray and the verter never missed a beat). But before I bought my converter I read every thread that had to do with Yank, TCI, Vigilante and Midwest (Fuddle wasn't around back then). So I would say that I have enough knowledge to say this:

Everything chocotaco said was true. Yank has always been praised as the best. The cream of the crop. They used all the best materials, had the highest effiency and had fantastic track results. But in the early days they had poor customer service. Poor CS + $800-1K price tags drove alot of folks to other brands. However Yank has not only fixed thier customer service woos but has since lowered the price on the SS series. They are number one in my book and for many good reasons which I have previously described.

Vigilante (PI) has always been a solid number two (no jokes please). They offer a very solid product that has proven itself to be good at the track and can stand the test of time. The only thing that made them #2 in alot of peoples view was the effiency. They competed with a yank everywhere except the dyno. But a top notch product none the less.

Then there was TCI/Midwest. Both were around the same price (500ish) and both offered a decent "bang for the buck". Midwest never got alot of praise on this particular board which I personally believe is due to customer service. Kevin Winstead @ TCI was always on this board, would always answer anyones questions, warrantied converters even after the warranty expired and basically gave TCI the best customer service rep in this business (back before Yank stepped it up at least in the CS department). But as time wore on the TCI converters started to have lockup issues and longevity became a concern. They were hit or miss. I'm hoping the new TCI maxeffort series has fixed the only concerns people ever had with them. But it's too early to tell at this point.

Then along came Fuddle. I have to praise John for how fast he got his company to take over the "bang for the buck" market. He pretty much had nobody here talking about TCI or Midwest anymore. If you weren't buying a Yank/Vig you were looking at Fuddle. Customer service was top notch, the price could not be beat and people were having good results at the track. Then John had medical issues, the converters were starting to have issues, peoples orders were not being shipped and refunds were not being sent. It was a very fast rise and an even faster fall.

This doesn't mean that people don't have Fuddles right now doing well. Clearly there are. Just like my TCI has kicked *** with no problems what so ever (knock on wood). But the fact is Fuddle was removed as a sponsor. They didn't leave but rather they were removed.

If I was looking for a converter today I would have to say get a Yank if you got the funds. Otherwise I wouldn't think twice about a maxeffort TCI. Kevin may not hang out here like he used to but he is still the man @ TCI and will backup his products. If Fuddle does get back into the game then they will have another uphill climb to regain a good reputation. But as long as they are not a sponsor here I would not buy one.

all right, I'll shut up now
Old 10-14-2006, 01:39 PM
Launching!

well after reading all of that i guess ill save up the extra cash for the yank. hopefully the extra money i spend now will save me money and frustrations later on.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:29 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by darrensls1
I have been around these boards for years. I was here when the Colonel was praising TCI and then switched to a Yank. I bought my TCI because of the Colonels results (10's on spray and the verter never missed a beat). But before I bought my converter I read every thread that had to do with Yank, TCI, Vigilante and Midwest (Fuddle wasn't around back then). So I would say that I have enough knowledge to say this:

Everything chocotaco said was true. Yank has always been praised as the best. The cream of the crop. They used all the best materials, had the highest effiency and had fantastic track results. But in the early days they had poor customer service. Poor CS + $800-1K price tags drove alot of folks to other brands. However Yank has not only fixed thier customer service woos but has since lowered the price on the SS series. They are number one in my book and for many good reasons which I have previously described.

Vigilante (PI) has always been a solid number two (no jokes please). They offer a very solid product that has proven itself to be good at the track and can stand the test of time. The only thing that made them #2 in alot of peoples view was the effiency. They competed with a yank everywhere except the dyno. But a top notch product none the less.

Then there was TCI/Midwest. Both were around the same price (500ish) and both offered a decent "bang for the buck". Midwest never got alot of praise on this particular board which I personally believe is due to customer service. Kevin Winstead @ TCI was always on this board, would always answer anyones questions, warrantied converters even after the warranty expired and basically gave TCI the best customer service rep in this business (back before Yank stepped it up at least in the CS department). But as time wore on the TCI converters started to have lockup issues and longevity became a concern. They were hit or miss. I'm hoping the new TCI maxeffort series has fixed the only concerns people ever had with them. But it's too early to tell at this point.

Then along came Fuddle. I have to praise John for how fast he got his company to take over the "bang for the buck" market. He pretty much had nobody here talking about TCI or Midwest anymore. If you weren't buying a Yank/Vig you were looking at Fuddle. Customer service was top notch, the price could not be beat and people were having good results at the track. Then John had medical issues, the converters were starting to have issues, peoples orders were not being shipped and refunds were not being sent. It was a very fast rise and an even faster fall.

This doesn't mean that people don't have Fuddles right now doing well. Clearly there are. Just like my TCI has kicked *** with no problems what so ever (knock on wood). But the fact is Fuddle was removed as a sponsor. They didn't leave but rather they were removed.

If I was looking for a converter today I would have to say get a Yank if you got the funds. Otherwise I wouldn't think twice about a maxeffort TCI. Kevin may not hang out here like he used to but he is still the man @ TCI and will backup his products. If Fuddle does get back into the game then they will have another uphill climb to regain a good reputation. But as long as they are not a sponsor here I would not buy one.

all right, I'll shut up now
Good Job Darren..
I had the Vigilante up until last month when my trans took a dump, switched back to Yank(SS4000), Got her back yesterday & she feels GOOD
Old 10-14-2006, 02:37 PM
Staging Lane

I have had my Fuddle for about 5 months and i couldnt be more pleased with the performance.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

I like my Fuddle converter, too. Sideways at half throttle. One thing I hate is it's too loose for my tastes. Since Fuddle wasn't answering their phone I ordered a Yank SS3200. Oh well, at least I'll have the peace of mind that I don't have a cheap converter anymore.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:24 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
i run a stock torque converter. i've been around long enough to know the track records of both.
Based on some of your other posts, and this responce, I can tell you know two things: Jack and ****! Maybe you should get some experience with the actual products and not just other people's opinions; before you lend those of us that have actually turned a wrench and used varying products the graciousness of your "expertise and wisdom"...

EDIT: BTW we have run a TCI and now a Fuddle. The Fuddle has been a much better converter YMMV (if you actually have any mileage)...
Old 10-15-2006, 02:48 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member
Wink

To tell you the truth I think Darrensls1 nailed it right on the head! Very good break downs of all these convertors.I could'nt have said it any better myself.Traver
Old 10-15-2006, 04:50 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Azrael
Based on some of your other posts, and this responce, I can tell you know two things: Jack and ****! Maybe you should get some experience with the actual products and not just other people's opinions; before you lend those of us that have actually turned a wrench and used varying products the graciousness of your "expertise and wisdom"...

EDIT: BTW we have run a TCI and now a Fuddle. The Fuddle has been a much better converter YMMV (if you actually have any mileage)...
so seeing a yank converter tested alongside a fuddle converter and watching the yank converter put down more hp/better efficiency numbers on the same car isn't worth anything? you're right i guess, you can only know things about a product if you run them. yank's track record at consistently being top notch doesn't speak for anything

and when did i mention anything about TCI?

Originally Posted by darrensls1
Everything chocotaco said was true.
sounds like someone needs to knock you down a peg or two, oh mighty Azrael
Old 10-15-2006, 07:08 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
so seeing a yank converter tested alongside a fuddle converter and watching the yank converter put down more hp/better efficiency numbers on the same car isn't worth anything? you're right i guess, you can only know things about a product if you run them. yank's track record at consistently being top notch doesn't speak for anything

and when did i mention anything about TCI?

sounds like someone needs to knock you down a peg or two, oh mighty Azrael

Oh Mr. Stock car with nothing done, who regurgitates others thoughts... I bow to your ability to swing off the sack of magazine articles and indiviual tests, since I obviously know nothing about the cars I have worked on, owned and help actualy modify.

Better yet, tools shouldn't use tools, so I think your safe.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:18 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Azrael
Oh Mr. Stock car with nothing done, who regurgitates others thoughts... I bow to your ability to swing off the sack of magazine articles and indiviual tests, since I obviously know nothing about the cars I have worked on, owned and help actualy modify.

Better yet, tools shouldn't use tools, so I think your safe.
wow, ladies and gentlemen, i give you the token forum dipshit^^^

notice as he flies at me with insults even though i haven't insulted him.

notice as he puts words in my mouth to make his point. he says i've told him he knows nothing about cars, when i clearly haven't.

gawk at his thought process as he claims experience is the only thing of value. someone should explain to him why we go to school for 17 years before we get a real job and why we study before tests.

maybe someone should tell him i know how to use tools. maybe someone should tell him i change my own oil, just swapped my fuel filter, installed my FTRA by myself, shoot, i put in my old K&N FIPK in my old car. but what the hell, he thinks my car is stock when there is $1500 worth of mods on it

and i'm the tool? you be the judge.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:31 PM
12 Second Club

You hear horror stories for any converter out there, sometimes is the converter or things break in the tranny which takes out the converter. Since this post is about fuddle, I have to say John has always answered my emails super quick and any company that offers a customer a brand new converter site unseen(not a refresh) just by what I said in a email, makes me feel good about the customer service and trying to make the customer happy.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

bottom line get a yank and run like me...haha no fuddle can do that...jk guys...its a joke...this post is getting to intense
Old 10-16-2006, 01:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm still stuck on which company to get. I've heard good/bad stories from Fuddle. I want to get a 3500 stall with a decent STR. The price range is right on.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:59 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
I cannot believe folks are still considering Fuddle converters.

I hear Hi Flo has a turbo kit that's pretty good... Might think about ordering one of those too.
And this is coming from a ls1tech director! Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. For those of you actually thinking about buying a Fuddle right now all I can say is good luck with that.