Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCI Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 04:34 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TCI Issues

Well, I had TCI cut/clean/re-stall my old SSF 4000 and last week I installed it. I was trying to make it to a race and when we pulled the trans and put the new converter in we couldn't get more than an inch engagement (spent about 2 hours trying).. more like 15/16". So I measure the flexplate to engine distance and come up with less than 15/16" and figure I'd be good. Bolt the trans up and the converter isn't touching the flexplate, so I bolt it up and take it out. Instantly no 3rd or 4th and it's shifting badly.. sometimes it feels like it engages the gear for a sec but drives horribly.

Turn around and park it, a couple days later I pull the trans again and compare the new converter. Suprisingly, the fluid looks fine. New converters hub is machined differently then old one so I figure that might be it. Call up TCI, tech guy says converter might have been "riding the pump", and to try to file down the hub and get the converter in over an inch. Try filing down the hub to match the old converter (TCI 3000) but still don't get enough engagement after 30 minutes of trying. I put the old verter in, engages over an inch in about 30 seconds.

Take out the trans.. now I have 3rd and 4th but car drives like crap, hunting for gears, shifting oddly and late. I think the trans is done, but anyone know what could have done it. I know I didn't crush the pump, I had space between the converter and flexplate when I bolted both converters up. Fluid looks good.

I sent the "new" converter back to TCI and I'm going to pick up a used trans/stock converter and just toss it in for now I guess... any chance the trans I've got is still good? Fluid still looks fine and it wasn't heating up super fast.

Sorry for the long post.. it's just been rough changing the trans twice to have something that doesnt work

Last edited by aram; 10-22-2006 at 04:53 AM.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

sorry to hear that man, ive had problems with my TCI converter also. hopefully you can get it worked out.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:34 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

It is possible there was some damage to the pump , Have you pulled the pan to see what is there ?

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-22-2006, 05:50 PM
TECH Regular

I haven't pulled the pan yet.. I think it has to be damage to the pump, but I pulled one of the cooler lines, fired it up and got a good spray out of it and there wasn't any shavings or discoloration to the fluid. Tranny was not heating up quickly either.. really odd that it drives so poorly but the fluid and everything looks alright. I scanned it too, no codes are being thrown.

I've had a bunch of converters from TCI (all I use) and had at least two sent in for re-stall/cut/clean and never had any problems before.

Last converter I was cutting 1.5x with a 100% stock suspension mazda IRS on a 9" slick so it worked great!

Last edited by aram; 10-22-2006 at 05:55 PM.