Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny Dead? No first gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 01:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tranny Dead? No first gear

When driving home the other day about a mile from my house, the converter unlocked and seemed to come out of 4th gear, then it wouldn't start in first. When up to speed it would shift into 3rd and then never lock up. Reverse works fine. If i put the shifter into 2nd or 1st it'll grab 1st, not immediately. If I turn the car off, then put it into drive, it'll idle in first, but as soon as I give it gas, it goes into 2nd.

From reading other threads on here, I read that if the solenoids (1/2 and/or 2/3) are bad, it can cause this to happen. The only thing is, there was no SES light, everyone always mentions pulling codes. But I replaced the solenoids anyway, and it didn't help anything. I also replaced the filter.

I did notice a lot of really fine metal in the pan, no chunks or anything big, which I guess is normal, but the fluid was very metallic looking. Wasn't burnt smelling or black.

After I got it back together, I tried to drive it, and same thing. Now there seems to be a rattling sound when it's in gear. Like something is loose and rolling around in there. Not Park or Neutral(I haven't gone underneath the car to check yet. It only happens at idle.

I popped off the little inspection cover, and the converter on the outside looks okay, flywheel not cracked/broken.

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? At this point I doubt it's anything electrical or pcm related. But are the clutches shot? Is that what the metal is from? Is this something that can be repaired? Converter related? I still have the stock converter I could swap in. Or should I start looking for a new tranny?
Old 10-24-2006, 01:36 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

metal particals in fluild you are now in the market for a new tranny Im afraid

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-24-2006, 01:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

might be time to buy a rebuild kit and just freshen it up and go with heavy duty parts..
Old 10-24-2006, 01:47 PM
Launching!

So new tranny or rebuild? What is the metal from? I just want to know what crapped out inside. Is the converter salvagable? Can it just be flushed or is it dead too?
Old 10-24-2006, 01:56 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Depends on where the metal came from in either case the converter will have to be checked to be on safe side , Provided you want to us it again , Most people though have good deals on combo packages , I know we do .

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-24-2006, 02:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Depends on where the metal came from in either case the converter will have to be checked to be on safe side , Provided you want to us it again , Most people though have good deals on combo packages , I know we do .

Well, it is an older converter that they do not make anymore, and If it could be re-used, I'd prefer too, I loved the way it drove and performed.

But I guess I'll start looking into getting a new tranny. Won't be right away, as I'll have to save up for some of the cost. I'll keep you in mind though. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Muerte_X; 12-28-2006 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:25 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

goto our site an look around we have a layaway plan also .

Call 888-744-6542