Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH400, brake: Spragless converter?

Old 10-30-2006, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TH400, brake: Spragless converter?

I read somewhere that a spragless converter is required when running a trans brake. Thats fine, but Precision says that If I ran a spragless converter that I should not run it on the street at all.
Whats bothering me is that I know Ive met people that drive there TB equipped cars on the street all the time. Im building this car to be 98% race car, 2% street car. So SOME street driving will be going on. Do I absolutely have to run a spragless converter with the TB?

If you must run the spragless converter with a TB, how are these guys getting away with street driving?

What exactly does it mean for a converter to be spragless? Could someone explain to me what the purpose of such a converter is, and why its neccessary?

Car is a 96TA, Procharged 383, 15psi, approx 800flywheel hp, plans are leaning towards the TH400 with a 4000stall and TB.

Thanks in advance.
-Justin
Old 10-30-2006, 11:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

You don't have to run a spragless converter with a TB....someone is misinforming you.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, Ive managed to find some more info on spragless converters and indeed the dipshit at Precision Industries has misinformed me. But I did read on several manufacturers websites that a spragless converter should not be used on the street, but no information as to why.
What is it about these converters that makes them undesireable for street driving. Since it seems spragless converters can be more durable when using a trans brake, can it live in a car that sees occasional cruises to the local hangout? Or even an occasional trip to work (2 miles) and back?
I just dont want to let go of the "My race car is streetable" bragging rights...

If not, I'll just get a regular converter (not spragless) and rock it till I have problems.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default spragless

it has been my experance that a spragless tc will run hot because the oil flow aways has to go around the stator instead of through a freewheeling one.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:08 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

I would not run a spragless TC to begin with. When was the last time you have heard about a problems with the spragtype? Spragless TC's run hotter, and will lost mph in the 1/4 mile. If you have excessive horsepower, maybe.......
Old 10-31-2006, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

After doing alot more research last night, I agree with both of you guys. Only cars I found that run the spragless converters are over 1000hp. I definitely am not going to be making that kind of power so its not something I need.
What sucks is up untill this point I really liked Precision Industries. I was going to be buying my 4th converter from them untill some dipshit in their tech department had to misinform me. Telling me I HAD to run a spragless converter with the TB.

EVERY other manufacturer Ive spoken with has had no problems with selling me a converter for my setup, non-spragless. I rarely drive this car on the street, but Im not about to let a torque converter force me to make it strip only.

Im going to call Neal Chance today, sorry Precision!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TH400, brake: Spragless converter?