Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solve My 2-3 Shift Problem And I will Send You $50

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 11:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

his car drives perfectly other then WOT 2-3 shift. he mentioned compared to the other trans, it feels tighter overall. I sure didnt feel it but its not my car, I wouldnt notice something like that.
as for the solenoid causing it, isnt it the same solenoid that activate's the shift at part throttle? that works perfectly. auto and manually. and all though its possible, whats the chances of the new trans having something wrong with it internally exactly like the orig.? I only took off the bellhousing and tailshaft extension to swap over to the new trans.

matt's car does make GREAT power. I was amazed how nice it drove when he let me drive it. but Id like to shift at around 6400rpm. I did think it peaked higher then that though. but you'd know better then me(or matt for that matter). the cam I went with is just a bit smaller, but has the LSK intake lobe. which is supposed to help out under the curve over the same cam w/XER lobe. so hopefully it'll have alot more midrange while giving away some high end power. less peaky, more flat curve ya know? we'll see though. Im sure it'll beat his 12.8 though. lol. he def. needs a set of et street radials for that thing though. but thats what Id expect from his first time at the track.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:17 AM
TECH Regular

My car wouldn't shift 2-3 at wot.. I just cut the commanded shift times in half in that gear and it solved the issue.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:12 AM
The know it all's know it all

Originally Posted by Irocss85
his car drives perfectly other then WOT 2-3 shift. he mentioned compared to the other trans, it feels tighter overall. I sure didnt feel it but its not my car, I wouldnt notice something like that.
as for the solenoid causing it, isnt it the same solenoid that activate's the shift at part throttle? that works perfectly. auto and manually. and all though its possible, whats the chances of the new trans having something wrong with it internally exactly like the orig.? I only took off the bellhousing and tailshaft extension to swap over to the new trans.

matt's car does make GREAT power. I was amazed how nice it drove when he let me drive it. but Id like to shift at around 6400rpm. I did think it peaked higher then that though. but you'd know better then me(or matt for that matter). the cam I went with is just a bit smaller, but has the LSK intake lobe. which is supposed to help out under the curve over the same cam w/XER lobe. so hopefully it'll have alot more midrange while giving away some high end power. less peaky, more flat curve ya know? we'll see though. Im sure it'll beat his 12.8 though. lol. he def. needs a set of et street radials for that thing though. but thats what Id expect from his first time at the track.
I have seen the Selenoid A valve seize in the bore a few times. Either that or the selenoid has borderline function and can't close under the high line pressure.

Yeah that car needs a better tire for sure. I think it could have easily gone low 11's on a good tire the HP is there to say the least.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:53 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by CollinsAutomotive
I have been trying to keep a somewhat low profile here dammit.Hows it running ?Your Dad is Jim, right. I am glad the trans thing finally got worked out.
Yes, Jim is my dad. Car is running good now. But after all that he's putting it up for sale in the spring and getting a new one. He says he going to do a head/cam/exhaust right off the floor. So, possibly more work for you.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:00 AM
11 Second Club

I'll have to see monday if my trans guy has oneof those solenoids. he usually keeps stuff like that laying around for testing purposes.

did you run his car on the drag sim. at all? or would the tire be just as bad on there? my car hooks really good, Id like to see what your dyno shows my at since it ran pretty consistent 11.8x's at the track.

bill, when you call that guy back ask him if he tried shortening the shift time. let us know what he says about the whole thing in general too.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:12 AM
11 Second Club

Me persoanlly i would go after shift selenoid A and see if that cures it. Did anyone put the screens back in the seperator plate after the rebuild and does the trans exihbit any other odd behaviors ?It still sounds like some kind of screwed up entry in the PCM.
The new trans had the shift solenoid checked before it was put into the trans, I confirmed the trans builder had done this.

Hmmmmm
Old 11-11-2006, 11:14 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by todddchi
Are your kick downs messed up as well?
These seem to work fine.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 11-11-2006, 11:37 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

Sometimes you have to try lower values because the transmissions don't shift lightning fast.

Hi Collins, care to become a sponsor. I see you.

ADMIN
Old 11-11-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

With a scanner hooked up, log trans current gear while going WOT. That will tell you if it is a PCM issue or a transmission issue.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:05 PM
11 Second Club

how? if its bouncing off the rev limiter, but showing 3rd gear command at same time? if its a program issue, it'll still show 2 gear in the rev limiter?
Old 11-11-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Brefly Reading, .... Souds Like A Simple Tuneing Issue
Old 11-11-2006, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Sometimes you have to try lower values because the transmissions don't shift lightning fast.

Hi Collins, care to become a sponsor. I see you.

ADMIN
Hey John i am not advertising here.Talk to me though about reasonable pricing.I will listen. Secondly I can't help it if the locals know who i am though.

Last edited by CollinsAutomotive; 11-11-2006 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:14 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes you do have to anticipate a delays betwen command and actual shift ,Since though the solinod does eact near instantainiously then the valves must move chambers must fill and finally the clutch it self move to hold.several 100 rpms can occur during this time lag , shift kits do decrease this time lag but its still there , Kinda like for you bird hunters out there You have to aim at where the bird will be not exactly where it is lol

Call 888-744-6542

Old 11-11-2006, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bill'sWS6
The new trans had the shift solenoid checked before it was put into the trans, I confirmed the trans builder had done this.

Hmmmmm
Checked and replaced are 2 different things.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:17 PM
12 Second Club

I have a stock car with just a lid and exhaust cutout, and at the track last night the same thing happened, and i had to let off the gas for it to shift. but it shifted fine today from 2 to 3.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:28 PM
11 Second Club

Checked and replaced are 2 different things.
Replaced... Thanks!
Old 11-11-2006, 05:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats easy. the shift MPH is overulling the Shift RPM. You are always better setting MPH lower then the intended shift RPM as once the MPH is reached logic wise the PCM will wiat to shift then trans until the RPM come to the shift point. What is the shift timming table and shift pressure like ?

You could have a gear ratio error and the MPH is OVeruling the RPM values. Do you have the table data handy ?
Well, one poster above me said (not the one I quoted here), this is not always the case... I was working on a 4l60e that built out of the nose, and even with the MPH tables zeroed, it still shifted the 1-2 at 5800 no matter what I changed at WOT. Part throttle tuning on the tranny was business as usual. I had posts here in the PCM section and on HPTuners site and a few other users had experienced the issues with no resolution. I wanted the car shifting 1-2 at 6600, but in the end, it just didn't matter, it was gonna shift at 5800. I wonder whether some part of the tranny's build/VB had something that we just didn't have control over.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've seen .6~.7 seconds between commanded shift and rpms dropping in worst case logs setting shift points. But at least verify that the PCM is commanding the shift at the mph in the program.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Frost
Well, one poster above me said (not the one I quoted here), this is not always the case... I was working on a 4l60e that built out of the nose, and even with the MPH tables zeroed, it still shifted the 1-2 at 5800 no matter what I changed at WOT. Part throttle tuning on the tranny was business as usual. I had posts here in the PCM section and on HPTuners site and a few other users had experienced the issues with no resolution. I wanted the car shifting 1-2 at 6600, but in the end, it just didn't matter, it was gonna shift at 5800. I wonder whether some part of the tranny's build/VB had something that we just didn't have control over.
That was me, and man regardless of what the tuner did the car did not responsd like it was supposed to. To this day (2-3k miles later) everything is still rock solid and working like it "should" but the settings eventually used to make it work left him dumbfounded.

I will say it again, but make a simple change to the 2-3 shift rpm grossly low, and see what happens. I would think your mph is low enough already. You might have the same type of problem I had and maybe your tuner will be able to use that as a hint to find what is wrong (I'd like to know myself).
Old 11-11-2006, 05:49 PM
Launching!

I had to lower my 2-3 MPH a lot. Make sure your 3-2 MPH are set a few less than the 2-3. It made a difference in mine. Also if the shift times were lowered too much it wouldn't shift right. When I replaced the stock 10 bolt (3.23) with a 9 inch (3.89) mine would tag the rev limiter on the 2-3 shift until I lowered the MPH settings.