Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solve My 2-3 Shift Problem And I will Send You $50

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 07:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm subscribing to this one. mine is doing the same thing we tried lowering shift timing a little and zeroed out the mph. funny thing is it still shifts the same going to have trans rebuilt and try that but i don't feel it slip or anything, by the way my shift rpm is at 5400 and my limiter is at 7000.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default 67 tempest

if everything posted has been checked then i would try to change the converter back to stock and see it the problem still persist.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by todddchi
That was me, and man regardless of what the tuner did the car did not responsd like it was supposed to. To this day (2-3k miles later) everything is still rock solid and working like it "should" but the settings eventually used to make it work left him dumbfounded.

I will say it again, but make a simple change to the 2-3 shift rpm grossly low, and see what happens. I would think your mph is low enough already. You might have the same type of problem I had and maybe your tuner will be able to use that as a hint to find what is wrong (I'd like to know myself).
When they were tuning it they took it down as far as 4,000 rpms for the 2-3 shift. They kept the rev limiter at 6,800 rpms, still hit the limiter. I can't say how much was played around with on the MPH setting?

Since I am now positive that the trans is not the issue (new). I guess it will be time to get it back on the dyno and play with the shift points and see what happens.

I guess in the end I could always go to a totally manual VB in the trans. Would be a pain in the *** but at least that would take care of the problem, right?

Thanks,

Bill
Old 11-12-2006, 06:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mullenh
if everything posted has been checked then i would try to change the converter back to stock and see it the problem still persist.
I thought about dropping my converter to a 3200 from the current 3800 to see if that would solve the problem. I would do it if the 1-2 shifts were doing the same thing. Why would it be just on the 2-3 and the 1-2 works flawless?

Thanks,
Old 11-12-2006, 09:13 PM
10 Second Club

Bill, I so hope I don't have the same problems as you when I put the new trans in. Thats a big bummer bro!!!
Old 11-13-2006, 12:23 AM
Launching!

i had the same problem guys lower your shift tie under throttle upshift and downshift most likely the downshift table is still above the upsift table and is confusing the computer.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:59 AM
The know it all's know it all

Originally Posted by Bill'sWS6
I thought about dropping my converter to a 3200 from the current 3800 to see if that would solve the problem. I would do it if the 1-2 shifts were doing the same thing. Why would it be just on the 2-3 and the 1-2 works flawless?

Thanks,
I talked to bill and i bielive we may have found the culprit. The shift MPH with a 15% slip in the converter at 5900rpm should occur around 50mph. currently it is at 59mph. Also even at 6600rpm for the shift point the car would barely make the 59mph shift rpm.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:53 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have ran into this problem before. The problem lies in the trans speedo table. The speedometer calculation is way off I bet. Mine got skewd after starting with a new PCM reflash from when a shop started over with a different bin file. Mine is also an 01 and I think there were some GM related issues that tie into this.

If you don't have this fixed already shoot me a PM and I'll send you my bin file and can compare these parameters.

Most A4s have over shoot issues when they swap TCs, but if it's that excessive the calculation is off. Just let me know and good luck!
Old 11-13-2006, 01:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CollinsAutomotive
I talked to bill and i bielive we may have found the culprit. The shift MPH with a 15% slip in the converter at 5900rpm should occur around 50mph. currently it is at 59mph. Also even at 6600rpm for the shift point the car would barely make the 59mph shift rpm.
Latest News:

After talking with Sean I took the car out on lunch and tested the car at different throttle amounts. The car shifts with no problems all the way thru 3/4 throttle (estimated 3/4). Once you push to full throttle it bangs the limiter.

So, I hope to get this thing fixed ASAP. I am trying to get the EFI Live file so I can take a closer look at the tables.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 11-13-2006, 01:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TXCAMSS
I have ran into this problem before. The problem lies in the trans speedo table. The speedometer calculation is way off I bet. Mine got skewd after starting with a new PCM reflash from when a shop started over with a different bin file. Mine is also an 01 and I think there were some GM related issues that tie into this.

If you don't have this fixed already shoot me a PM and I'll send you my bin file and can compare these parameters.

Most A4s have over shoot issues when they swap TCs, but if it's that excessive the calculation is off. Just let me know and good luck!
Not fixed yet and if you can email me the file I would appreciate it:

Billsws6@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Bill
Old 11-13-2006, 03:00 PM
10 Second Club

Keep me informed Bill
Old 11-13-2006, 03:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WHPLASH
Keep me informed Bill
I'll call you tonight.

Later,

Bill
Old 11-13-2006, 04:30 PM
TECH Regular

I guess no one paid attention when I said try to cut the commanded shift time in half.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by aram
I guess no one paid attention when I said try to cut the commanded shift time in half.
That will be tried when I get it on the dyno. I hope to get it there this week.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 11-13-2006, 06:12 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something else to consider is that anytime you spin the tires on the launch, you are going to over shoot the target rpm quite a bit.

My bin file will be there shortly!!!
Old 11-14-2006, 07:59 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TXCAMSS
Something else to consider is that anytime you spin the tires on the launch, you are going to over shoot the target rpm quite a bit.

My bin file will be there shortly!!!

funny thing is that when mine spins shifts without hitting the rev. when it hooks bangs the hell out of it.

i'll try cutting shift time in half and see if it helps don't think we tried that yet.

Bill let us know what cures it.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default 67 tempest

Originally Posted by Bill'sWS6

Thanks,
the converter slips and the computer is fooled it uses both rpm and mph at higher mph the error may be enough to fool the computer. if you are not going to use the 3200 what brand is it and do you want to sell it?
Old 11-15-2006, 02:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Someone may have allready stated this i read through all these the best I could , Im not interested in the 50 dollars , But with the tuning has the line preasure been raised , is there any possibility that rather than slipping or that the shifts not being comanded , Could it be solenoi flooding at WOT due to high line , They can only vent so much and if the cant vent completely then the valve will stay stroked and there will not be a 2-3 shift.
I have wondered if theres any companies out there who make solenods for these with a larger orifice .
if the shifts feel good at every other rpm consider lowering the wot line and see what happens at least down to stock .

Call 888-744-6542

Old 11-15-2006, 02:17 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Someone may have allready stated this i read through all these the best I could , Im not interested in the 50 dollars , But with the tuning has the line preasure been raised , is there any possibility that rather than slipping or that the shifts not being comanded , Could it be solenoi flooding at WOT due to high line , They can only vent so much and if the cant vent completely then the valve will stay stroked and there will not be a 2-3 shift.
I have wondered if theres any companies out there who make solenods for these with a larger orifice .
if the shifts feel good at every other rpm consider lowering the wot line and see what happens at least down to stock .
Thats a good point. Because when I had it tuned, he asked me how the shifts were and I said "soft" so he increased the line pressure. And it does seem like it started happening right after the tune. Sound right with you Bill?
Old 11-15-2006, 02:24 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I have see this happen not with a tune but with a failed PCS causing max line with stock 4l60e and 4l80e transmissions

Call 888-744-6542