Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best inexpensive/budget stall convertor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 11:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best inexpensive/budget stall converter?

Just curious as to who makes the best budget converter (bang for buck ratio)? And where can I find one for the best deal? Sponsors? Looking for a 3000-3200rpm for my daily driver.

Joe.

Last edited by crazyjoe; 12-17-2006 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:20 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

fuddleracing.com

I got my converter in 6 days....and my buddy ordered one last week and had it in 6 days as well.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:24 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Performabuilt ships in two days from order , And price is cheap quality second to no one

Call 888-744-6542

Old 12-17-2006, 07:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't try and "save" money on a converter, doing that will cost you dearly... it's like the heart of the Trans, cheap out on it and watch it eat your trans, then how much did you save? read WHO has more problems and what they are, then make your decision, do a search on a few forums to see what names pop up more than others, use the law of averages to help you, save your money and buy a QUALITY converter.. no offense to other vendors, this is my opinion after making HIS mistake, as well as some others with the TBSS's, I lucked out as I saved my trans, other's needed new ones...
Old 12-17-2006, 08:11 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyGXP
don't try and "save" money on a converter, doing that will cost you dearly... it's like the heart of the Trans, cheap out on it and watch it eat your trans, then how much did you save? read WHO has more problems and what they are, then make your decision, do a search on a few forums to see what names pop up more than others, use the law of averages to help you, save your money and buy a QUALITY converter.. no offense to other vendors, this is my opinion after making HIS mistake, as well as some others with the TBSS's, I lucked out as I saved my trans, other's needed new ones...
The advise that Tony has posted is very true and I have seen bad things happen to my customers transmissions from poorly built tc's. We sell the VIG for a reason and that is because they IMO have had the best history. Alot of members will tell you they have had good luck with other brands and all I can say is good for them. I personally believe what Tony has said and spend the extra money. Vince
Old 12-17-2006, 11:02 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Well I still state absolutely that our converters are as good or better in most cases better than anything available anywhere. We priced them low because they are a newer offering perhaps that was a mistake. No person on this or any other forum or venue that has purchased one of our converters has been anything but thrilled with the results. You can do a search for those who have the reveiws are excellent.
The company we now are partnered with as our subsidiary has been around for years and has had excellent results during the entire period or we would not have partnered with them, They have had no issues in the entire time the converters have been manufactured of that I can Assure everyone

Call 888-744-6542

Old 12-17-2006, 11:06 AM
FormerVendor

save now, and pay later!
with a better product it will more than pay for itself in the long run, even when you sell it later, you will get a good part of your money back with a top brand part.

www.converter.cc
Old 12-17-2006, 01:19 PM
11 Second Club

funny thing is, like many of you guys, I tried to "not" start WWIII with the wifey.. I bought the cooler, servos, pan and figured "I could get a Decent converter and I'll be OK" (I can afford it, but thought I would have an easier time with her, she's stingy ) .. man did I luck out that the converter that was in there didn't break apart worse than it did "it contained itself" only had alot of metal in the fluid...Good Luck, get the best, whatever that one is for you, but KNOW you got the best one, not the best "Bargain"...
Old 12-17-2006, 02:24 PM
TECH Regular

You guys are making some valid points, I'll keep researching. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:35 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Old 11-16-2006, 06:18 PM #1
87gnx
On The Tree

Trader Rating: (0)

Thumbs up New Performabuilt 'verter
Just got my new Performabuilt converter in!!. It works better than advertised!.
Stalls right at 3600(which is perfect for me). Rides smooth on the road, can't even tell its there.I highly recommend these guys, shipped in about three days(custom ordered).

Call 888-744-6542

Old 12-17-2006, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TonyGXP
AMEN to that!! I made the mistake of saving money on the converter the first time around on my car and paid dearly.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:02 PM
10 Second Club

don't try and "save" money on a converter, doing that will cost you dearly

x10000

If you do not have the coin for a good converter save for one! I say yank or Vig.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:17 PM
11 Second Club

ive got a performabult converter/trans combo after having a fuddle verter take a dump in my trans. lets just say the performabuit is a lot better than the fuddle i used to have (the bad one or the good replacement one). my fuddle would fluctuate a few hundred RPMs in 4th depending on how much gas i would give it. the performabult is tighter, i will give it gas in 4th and watch the RPMs rise steadaly, not jump around like the fuddle one.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by performabuilt
We priced them low because they are a newer offering perhaps that was a mistake.

It was not a mistake to start with low pricing. If you had came out of the gate priced like a Yank or a Vig, you would still be waiting to make a sale.

I don't have it installed yet, but I took a chance with one of your converters just because of the introductory pricing. If you hadn't came along, I would have ordered an Edge converter. I did the research like TonyGXP suggested and right now the smart money buys a Yank or Vig. No offense but you haven't been aound long enough to be considered in the same class with those guys.

Lucky for you, the thread originator asked about a budget "bang for the buck" converter. Right now Performabuilt fits into that catagory with Edge, TCI, and Fuddle. So far I have not saw a bad review of your products or service. Keep it up and someday you might move up to do battle with the big dogs, but it will take a little time. I hope you do well.

crazyjoe, Since you asked about budget converters, I would suggest looking at the four that I mentioned in the previous paragraph. Do some searches, then call them up to talk about any questions or concerns.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:35 PM
11 Second Club

Or pay up and get it right the first time. I've heard nothing but good about Vig but no personal experience. I bought a used Yank ST3500 and absolutley love it. So much that I am thinking about buying a new SS3600 or SS4000. Nothing against the other guys, but my experience has been nothing but stellar with Yank. I've talked to them a couple times and their customer service is second to none. Nothing wrong with the converter I have now, just wanting something bigger. I'm getting a new tranny soon and want a brand spankin new converter to go in it. For a few hundred more than a refresh I can get that SS4000. What was it I was told.....Go big or go home
Old 12-17-2006, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My top 3 are Yank, Vig and TCI. I'd go with one of them and not look back.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by J E T
My top 3 are Yank, Vig and TCI. I'd go with one of them and not look back.

I know my TCI experience was horrendous.... what a LAME DUCK..... and people warned me, but I had to try it "New & Improved" then one took my friend's TBSS trans out.. that's when I heard "something".. Thank GOD I knew better and sure enough had a ton of metal in the pan/fluid, one of the fins broke off (not to mention the verter was very loose, in a bad way at low speeds, taking 3k to move around and had a vibration being out of balance from day one).. 175mi..what a joke..save and get a Vig...well worth it.. my Vig moves out this5k lbs brick at 1800 like the TCI at 3k.. the stator is thedifference from what Precision told me, I have to believe them.. Good Luck..
Old 12-17-2006, 10:59 PM
10 Second Club

No experience yet but have seen a Vig 2800 in an '02 Z28 hardtop run a 12.5 with manifolds and muffler. He added a 150 shot and ran an 11.1 in the 1/4. Car was a beast off the line when he sprayed it and had many 1.5 60' on the bottle before the tranny and rear went boom. Put another stock tranny in it an had a few 11.2 runs before he sold it.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Well I still state absolutely that our converters are as good or better in most cases better than anything available anywhere. We priced them low because they are a newer offering perhaps that was a mistake. No person on this or any other forum or venue that has purchased one of our converters has been anything but thrilled with the results. You can do a search for those who have the reveiws are excellent.
The company we now are partnered with as our subsidiary has been around for years and has had excellent results during the entire period or we would not have partnered with them, They have had no issues in the entire time the converters have been manufactured of that I can Assure everyone
Everyone says they have the best. I had a brand new (4 months old) VIG 3700 come apart while cruising steady at 45 mph in the city. Destroyed my entire tranny.

If companies think they're the best they should cover trannies when their converters fly apart in a few months and kill peoples trannies. I had to buy a new tranny and it was also only 4 months old like the all so wonderful converter everyone told me to buy.

So sometimes it doesn't matter if you buy from the places that SAY they're the best.

Old 12-17-2006, 11:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do yourself a favor and save the money. Not saying that Fuddle or performabuilt are junk, but with Yank and Vig you are also paying for a repuation of quality. No matter what aftermarket part you put on your car someone, somewhere will tell you a story of how it broke. I would be curious to see what each company spends on parts for a converter. There is a reason that some are 300ish and some are 700ish. I find it hard to believe that I'm paying 400ish more dollars for advertising or what ever, when going with a higher end stall. If people could make solid stalls and continually sell them for 300ish, then I have to assume that Yank/Vig would have been priced out of the market by now? There have been a lot of budget stall folks come and go over the years, but suprisingly Yank and Vig are still here? Someone make me feel smart and offer an expination please.

Quick Reply: Best inexpensive/budget stall convertor?