Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

powerglide - pros & cons

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 12:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default powerglide - pros & cons

i really need some help on making a major decision. i have twin turbo (T'70's) 88 fox body mustang. i have torn up two C4 tranmissions, with a lot of mods to beef it up. so my question is: would a powerglide work well for a car with 730 rwhp/ turbo car I do more street racing then track racing with the car. what are the pros and cons.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what is your raceweight?
Old 01-08-2007, 10:33 AM
Teching In

i appoligize but my son was signed in and i thought it was my login. i am the one who owns the twin turbo. though my sons car is cool i am faster . LOL.

my race weight is 2900 lb
Old 01-08-2007, 01:28 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A Powerglide would be a good option... but the C4 is a good transmission 730 rwhp is not out of the question. What is breaking in the C4? If hard parts are breaking, ie... shafts and hubs then maybe it needs serious upgrades. I understand it has had mods to beef it up, but they may not be the correct mods. Has it suffered the same failure each time? And one more question... does it break on the line leaving or during shifts?

Powerglides are the tranny of choice for many a racer. Is this a daily driver? If it is then maybe a glide is not the answer... unless you go with a high quality lock up converter. A properly built glide can handle well over 1500 hp.

g
Old 01-08-2007, 02:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
A Powerglide would be a good option... but the C4 is a good transmission 730 rwhp is not out of the question. What is breaking in the C4? If hard parts are breaking, ie... shafts and hubs then maybe it needs serious upgrades. I understand it has had mods to beef it up, but they may not be the correct mods. Has it suffered the same failure each time? And one more question... does it break on the line leaving or during shifts?

Powerglides are the tranny of choice for many a racer. Is this a daily driver? If it is then maybe a glide is not the answer... unless you go with a high quality lock up converter. A properly built glide can handle well over 1500 hp.

g

Driving a C4 and a Glide on the street will be the same.........
Both are 1:1 in the final drive gear......
I was told my Glide can handle 1500hp and its doing fine with what i have right now and im making more power then you......
plus 2500 street miles in the last couple of months....

Rossler built.

Kyle
Old 01-08-2007, 03:20 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
Driving a C4 and a Glide on the street will be the same.........
Both are 1:1 in the final drive gear......
I was told my Glide can handle 1500hp and its doing fine with what i have right now and im making more power then you......
plus 2500 street miles in the last couple of months....

Rossler built.

Kyle
Point well taken on the final ratio's. My comment about the Daily Driver was some guys do not like glides on the street. I know a turbo application will have a tighter converter therefore it feel different than a 3 speed, especially if the rear gears are much over 3.73's or steeper. And with those gears a lock up converter makes driveability more favorable. Maybe I didn't say that right the first go round... my bad.

We are currently planning a glide for a street driven turbocharged ls7 (est. h/p well over 1000 rw), that is being built by Xtreme Horsepower, in a 70 Camaro that will be a street car. He is going to go with a Cohn or Art Carr lock up converter.

g
Old 01-08-2007, 03:24 PM
10 Second Club

THERE'S ALL PRO TO RUNNING A P/G

there lighter, be easier on the tires for launching and you'll load up the turbo more which will equate to better et. plus only one gear shift.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:39 AM
Teching In

thanks guys. i am pretty new to using the site and it has been a great help. i am pretty sure i am going to go with a powerglide. any suggestions on a certain kind of powerglide. so to make sure i am right, 'a powerglide will help the spooling of the turbos and not hurt it. it will spool sooner now?
Old 01-09-2007, 10:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by UR2SLOW4ME
thanks guys. i am pretty new to using the site and it has been a great help. i am pretty sure i am going to go with a powerglide. any suggestions on a certain kind of powerglide. so to make sure i am right, 'a powerglide will help the spooling of the turbos and not hurt it. it will spool sooner now?

I went with a Rossler built Powerglide...
I talked to Carl for quite a bit when i was on the ropes about a tranny for my Turbo Build.
Carl explained that the 1.76 standard gear will really help the car launch and the fall off between the shift... 1.76- 1:1 isnt much for the TQ a Turbo car makes.....
I opted for a 1.80 1st gear and bigger input and output shafts and his Transbrake.... with a Trans brake it isnt hard at all building boost....

Kyle
Old 01-09-2007, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Got Me SOM
THERE'S ALL PRO TO RUNNING A P/G

there lighter, be easier on the tires for launching and you'll load up the turbo more which will equate to better et. plus only one gear shift.
+1

powerglide all day long. Alot of power + light raceweight is the perfect candidate for a PG.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:08 PM
FormerVendor

I agree.. I don't think the spool time is too much of a consideration as long as you provide adequate cooling for your converter.

As far as suggestions, a few considerations to make would be... A Pro-Brake on the street can be cumbersum, the trans brake must be engaged in order to achieve reverse... one hand on the brake button, one on the steering wheel when backing. Some guys simply do not run a trans brake on the street. If you see more track duty then yeah a good trans brake is a must for a turbo app.

Something else to think about would be do you want a fully manual valve body, a reverse manual valve body or an automatic valve body. Glides can be built with or without a bolt on SFI bellhousing. They can also have roller bearing tailhousings. There are many manufacturers building many different internal components for these units today. My recommendation would be to work up your unit with someone who is capable and who understands your application.

g
Old 01-09-2007, 02:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
I agree.. I don't think the spool time is too much of a consideration as long as you provide adequate cooling for your converter.

As far as suggestions, a few considerations to make would be... A Pro-Brake on the street can be cumbersum, the trans brake must be engaged in order to achieve reverse... one hand on the brake button, one on the steering wheel when backing. Some guys simply do not run a trans brake on the street. If you see more track duty then yeah a good trans brake is a must for a turbo app.

Something else to think about would be do you want a fully manual valve body, a reverse manual valve body or an automatic valve body. Glides can be built with or without a bolt on SFI bellhousing. They can also have roller bearing tailhousings. There are many manufacturers building many different internal components for these units today. My recommendation would be to work up your unit with someone who is capable and who understands your application.

g

I drive a Pro-brake everyday on the street........ fully manual RMVB here also with a SFI bellhousing... the other thing that got me thinking was i originally wanted a TH400 and the price to built a 400 to with stand the same power as a Glide was about $2K more.... around $3K for my Glide.....

Kyle

Quick Reply: powerglide - pros & cons