Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to test for bad components on 4L60E

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 02:30 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how to test for bad components on 4L60E

What all testing procedures are there to test for a 1) bad converter 2) bad TCC solenoid 3) bad PWM solenoid 4) cut O-ring on input shaft. The car, 02 Z28. The problem, will not lock up. the computer is sending the lock up command and we have tried everything possible tuning wise to remedy this with no success. It locked up fine on the stock tune but randomly unlocked, the guy tuning the car knew what to do to fix the problem and did, but when i went to his shop to pick up the car, it did not lock up. he said it locked when he drove it after the tune and he told me to bring it back. two days later i bring it up there and on the way there, boom lock up. both of us are confused by this point so he messes with it more and we lose lock up completely. we put the tune back to stock to see if it locks but no such luck. the ECM is sending the lock up signal but its not locking. Keep in mind i am doing this at home on jack stands so if its possible can we keep it simple? in advance i appreciate everyones help that pitches in.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:00 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is an orfice in the pump that sends the signal oil to the lockup valve and solenoid in the pump. If you have debris floating around this could be your problem. This hole is very small and it really does not take much. You might want to make sure that all your electrical connections are good and tight. Verify all the pins that are lock up related from the computer to the solenoid. Case connector especially. Good luck to you.Vince
Old 01-09-2007, 11:19 AM
TECH Regular

how do you do what you just said lol? is there a manual i can get that would show me how to get to that? once i see how to do it i can do it
Old 01-09-2007, 11:41 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I would also check the PWM solenoid screen on the solenoid these can become blocked and cause partial or no apply I doubt theres and electrical fault since that should set a code. But to eliminate all causes beyond mechanical I would drop pan and replace the lockup solenoid and PWM solenoid if the lockup is being commanded after that and its still not occurring I would start looking for a mechanical cause for the issue.
note: when replacing the lockup solenoid you can use a small screw driver to stroke the lockup valve though the hole there and make sure its not stuck. I have seen this happen and it will stick for instance cool but not when warm etc.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-10-2007, 08:58 AM
TECH Regular

heres another thing, the guy at the shop told me if i splice into the wire on the the #42 pin in the blue pcm connecter which controls the tcc solenoid supposivly, wire it through a switch and ground it, flip the switch on and if it doesnt lock up its mechanical. i really dont feel comfortable splicing into my wirning harness and was wondering if this is a good way to test it?
Old 01-10-2007, 06:35 PM
TECH Regular

no guesses on this?
Old 01-10-2007, 06:54 PM
TECH Resident

my car is acting the exact same way.. PCM is commanding lockup but nothing... Sometimes I feel it lock but it feels like it is slipping.. I have it in the trans shop right now.. I will let you know what they find.. My setup i a fresh built 4l60e and converter.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:20 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by RocketCutlass
how do you do what you just said lol? is there a manual i can get that would show me how to get to that? once i see how to do it i can do it
In order to check this orifice you will need to remove the trans. Then you would have to remove the pump and open it up. I could get you a picture of the what you will be looking for. If you would like to get an ATSG manual for the 4l60e I can get you one fairly quick. Does your trans have a transgo kit in it?
Old 01-11-2007, 12:21 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
In order to check this orifice you will need to remove the trans. Then you would have to remove the pump and open it up. I could get you a picture of the what you will be looking for. If you would like to get an ATSG manual for the 4l60e I can get you one fairly quick. Does your trans have a transgo kit in it?
yes it does, how much is the manual?
Old 01-11-2007, 12:21 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Joel_SS
my car is acting the exact same way.. PCM is commanding lockup but nothing... Sometimes I feel it lock but it feels like it is slipping.. I have it in the trans shop right now.. I will let you know what they find.. My setup i a fresh built 4l60e and converter.
please do, i would really like to know whats goin on
Old 01-11-2007, 12:53 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

PM sent.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:11 PM
TECH Regular

think you colud post that picture vince?
Old 01-11-2007, 11:01 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

I'll have to try to take a picture for you tomorrow. My damn computer crashed last week and I lost a lot of photo's !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-12-2007, 12:52 PM
TECH Regular

that sucks...
Old 01-12-2007, 07:55 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

I did not forget about you today. However I did forget to bring the camera home from the shop. I was helping another member with a similar issue. Here is a link to his thread that I posted some pic's along with some advise. I would try this first before removing the trans and checking the orifice. https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ght=Vince+lock

I will try to get the pic's of the office in the pump up for you this weekend as well. Sorry for the delay. Vince
Old 01-12-2007, 10:02 PM
TECH Regular

no rush, your helpin out enough already and i appreciate it
Old 01-13-2007, 02:22 PM
TECH Regular

i did forget to ask though, when you put the check ball in the tcc solenoid, if it locks up when you do that what will that determine, and if it doesnt lock what then? also what size is the check ball, i may have to go to the hardware store and get a ball bearing
Old 01-13-2007, 02:37 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Putting the check ball in the solenoid will cause the lockup valve in the pump to stroke and cause constant lockup enable , Full lockup if PWM is disabled. If it locks up like this it will prove that the converter and lockup fluid circuit is ok and tat you have either some electrical or mechanical issue with the valvebody or PCM tuning etc,
If you do not end up with lockup you have either a bad converter, Missing or damaged oring on the input shaft or a sticking lockup valve,
You can check for the sticking lockup valve using and ice pick to stroke valve through the hole where the lockup solenoid goes,
While your in there since you will have to remove it to get the tc solenoid out look at the screen on the PWM solenoid and make sure its not clogged up and also check the valve right next to the solenoid that it will move (checking the valve only necessary if transgo kit not installed or PWM not other wise disabled)Since if either of these have been done the valve will appear stroked to outside of body and stuck there which is fine,
oh the check ball is 1/4
Wasn't trying to hijack the help you were getting just though you would like and answer you have been working on this a bit now

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-14-2007, 01:41 AM
TECH Regular

yeah i got the transgo shift kit and i appreciate you both for helpin out, everytime i let someone touch my car somethin happens. oh well i guess, i'll get it runnin right eventually. thank you both.

Last edited by RocketCutlass; 01-14-2007 at 01:49 AM.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:58 PM
TECH Regular

just wanted to let the people watchin this thread know that i took the pan off and cracked the filter open and found clutch debri in it, vince i think i may try my old tci in there and see if it locks. cant hurt nothin to try since i will have it out i guess.

Quick Reply: how to test for bad components on 4L60E