Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed shift kit and some other trans parts (!!Warning alot of pics!!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 06:49 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Installed shift kit and some other trans parts (!!Warning alot of pics!!)

Well after adding the H/C to the wife's car (not to mention the SC later)I know the trans isn't going to like that for long. A built unit is definitely in the future.
I'm just doing what I can to keep the stocker alive as long as possible.

Drove the car around and it's quite noticeable but not rediculous. I only added 2 of the 3 supplied washers. Jumped on it a bit and just destroyed the Nittos on the 1-2 shift. Summer should be better since Nitto's are garbage when it's cold. Probably throw some MT DR's on anyway since these are almost shot.

Had the Transgo shift kit laying around since the converter went in. Just never felt ambitious enough to screw with the valvebody.
I also picked up the FLT 4L60E Accumulator Piston Kit, Sonnax 2nd Gear "Super Hold" Servo, Sonnax 4th Gear "Super Hold" Servo Assembly, and Transgo 4L60E Zincplated Valvebody Plate.

The accumulator pistons are aluminum and replace the stock plastic ones. These are known to crack with abuse, increased line pressures and the addition of shiftkits.

The Sonnax 4L60/4L60-E 2nd Gear “Super Hold” Servo has 18% more apply area than the “Corvette” servo (largest OEM) and maximizes holding power in 2nd gear with more positive 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. Dual seals on the 2nd gear piston and separator ensure positive band apply/release and eliminate cross leaks, which contribute to 2-4 band and 3-4 clutch failure. This servo is the perfect option when more holding power is desired without causing excessively harsh upshifts and downshifts. The included apply pin is longer than the longest OE pin, and has added seals to reduce leakage of 3rd and 4th gear oil pressure. For the ultimate servo combination in your 4L60/4L60-E, Sonnax recommends using the 4th Gear “Super Hold” Servo with the 2nd Gear “Super Hold” servo.

* 18% more apply area than OEM Corvette servo
* Dual seals on 2nd gear servo piston, separator piston and between
* O-ring seat between 2nd gear piston and servo pin
* Two seal rings between case and servo pin
* Servo piston and separator pistons are made from 6061-T6 aluminum
* Servo pine is made from Chrome-moly steel
* Kit includes all necessary seals

Vehicles with a 4L60 (700-R4) or 4L60-E transmission often exhibit poor 3-4 shift quality and experience band failure in performance applications. The Sonnax "Super Hold" 4th Gear Servo features 40% more apply surface area for greater holding power.

* Affects 4th gear only
* Can be used with OEM, Corvette or Sonnax performance 2nd gear servo assemblies
* Easy to install: Transmission removal is not required.

TRANSGO® 46-PLT-96,4L60E Valve body separator plate with improved design tempered steel for longer life and zinc plated to prevent rusting.
Picked up the plate because increased line pressures/abuse/wear and tear cause 1 or more of the checkballs to blow through the separater plate. You could see the depressions in the stock plate where the checkballs are. Some showed more signs of wear than others.

Old 01-23-2007, 06:49 PM
9 Second Club

Old 01-23-2007, 06:55 PM
Tech Resident

damn man, that looks like a lot of work. i wish i knew how to work on 4L60E's btw, you bought all that stuff and didn't get a beast sunshell and some new clutches? i would think they would be the two things you should have upgraded. just a thought.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:05 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
btw, you bought all that stuff and didn't get a beast sunshell and some new clutches? i would think they would be the two things you should have upgraded. just a thought.
I was just doing the "easy" stuff where I didn't need to take the whole trans out/apart. When it goes I'll just get one built. Maybe send in all the Sonnax stuff to the builder to re-use.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey what advantages does the zinc plated valve body plate have? Does it just give you a new plate so you do not have to drill holes and worry about the check ball being stuck in it? I did my transgo but stumbled accross the FLT goodies after I did it. I am still up in the air about swaping to a deep pan so if I do I will jump on the same setup as you have.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:39 PM
Launching!

Man Preston you are all over the place with this. Big congrats to you again on the install
Old 01-23-2007, 10:02 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by THE CHOP SHOP
Hey what advantages does the zinc plated valve body plate have? Does it just give you a new plate so you do not have to drill holes and worry about the check ball being stuck in it?
It's tempered steel which should keep the check ***** from punching into it. I forgot to measure the thickness to see if there was a difference between it and the stocker.

You still need to drill the larger holes in the new plate.

Originally Posted by HMFDZ28
Man Preston you are all over the place with this. Big congrats to you again on the install
Thanks. Yeah I usually don't put up pics of everything I do here because it's already been done or seen.
I never saw any pics of these parts or the valvebody apart so I figured I'd throw them up for anyone looking.

Last edited by SSmokin 01; 01-27-2007 at 07:23 AM.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:16 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by SSmokin 01
I was just doing the "easy" stuff where I didn't need to take the whole trans out/apart. When it goes I'll just get one built. Maybe send in all the Sonnax stuff to the builder to re-use.
is it really hard to install a sunshell? i guess you have to open the case up good enough. best of luck to you.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SSmokin 01

if you can do the work you just showed us then you can rebuild the transmission. with a good reference book and a few of the correct tools its pretty easy. Just need to take a lot of notes on tear down.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

SSmokin01,

Thanks for taking the time to document and post your efforts, good work.

Joe
Old 01-26-2007, 11:03 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
is it really hard to install a sunshell? i guess you have to open the case up good enough. best of luck to you.
Yeah you have to open it up.

Originally Posted by Montec
if you can do the work you just showed us then you can rebuild the transmission. with a good reference book and a few of the correct tools its pretty easy. Just need to take a lot of notes on tear down.
I've considered it for the experience. I just figured the trans builders have a few trade secrets that they do which aren't common knowledge.

Originally Posted by joecar
SSmokin01,

Thanks for taking the time to document and post your efforts, good work.

Joe
Your welcome and thanks.

I forgot to include one little thing with the transgo separator plate. I layed the stocker over it and compared all of the holes to make sure they were all there and lined up.

One was missing along the side. I however didn't put in on the valvebody or case to see if it was neccesary. Maybe it's not needed. I just figured if it's on the stocker it should be on the new one so I marked, drilled, and de-burred it.

I've marked it in the following 2 pics. The red dot on the 1rst pic is the one that's missing. You can see this when comparing it to the 2nd pic.

Last edited by SSmokin 01; 01-27-2007 at 07:25 AM.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:01 PM
TECH Regular

I will be taking the valve body out this weekend. Do the valve body steel ***** have to go up in the tranny with vaseline, or can they be put in the valve body then put the valve body up into the tranny, as I am checking my valve body for debris while in the car.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:12 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can use assembly lube/vaseline to hold the ***** in place. In a 4l60e there is one ball that will be in the case and 7 in the valve body. If you are working with a 700r4 it will depend on which year you are working with as there are a few different combinations. 700r4 units have some in the valve body and some in the case. Vince
Old 05-08-2007, 11:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
You can use assembly lube/vaseline to hold the ***** in place. In a 4l60e there is one ball that will be in the case and 7 in the valve body. If you are working with a 700r4 it will depend on which year you are working with as there are a few different combinations. 700r4 units have some in the valve body and some in the case. Vince
Thanks Vince, I have the 93 Corvette 700R4. I just want to take the valve body out and inspect for debris as I have an issue from another thread I started in regards to loss of gears etc.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission/709130-4l60-issue-lost-gears-2-4-then-retained-them.html
Old 05-10-2007, 04:00 PM
Banned

did you use a deep pan with your tranny after all these upgrades to the Tranny? Im getting ready to do the same upgrades, i just want to make sure i have everything. my car is pretty much stock. should i get a trans cooler with this?
Old 05-10-2007, 10:35 PM
TECH Regular

Pulled my valvebody. The TV cable snagged the body as I was pulling it down, and it was not letting go. Finally did. Is there supposed to be a ball valve in there? In the TV Valve area? ANyways, didnt mean to steal your thread, will start my own.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:23 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by cookba
did you use a deep pan with your tranny after all these upgrades to the Tranny? Im getting ready to do the same upgrades, i just want to make sure i have everything. my car is pretty much stock. should i get a trans cooler with this?

I already had a B&M deep pan on it. Usually a cooler is added with a converter.

I'm not sure if there's really a downside to installing a trans cooler on a stock car.
Any abuse stock or not is going to heat it up so I'd think it can only help.

Quick Reply: Installed shift kit and some other trans parts (!!Warning alot of pics!!)