Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

more YANK converter issues...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007 | 02:45 PM
TECH Regular

just looked up my tracking number, my converter should be arriving at yank on thursday next week. don't know how quick they jump on things around there but maybe sometime monday or tuesday the following week i'll know something. And Yank, I'm probably gonna be pretty busy around that time so if i dont pick up on either phone line i left on the original invoice below my address, just leave a message and i'll call back first chance i get.
Old 01-27-2007 | 05:22 PM
11 Second Club
10 Year Member20 Year Member

Yank is a good company , i would not sweat it one bit!

I know from experience that the company backs their product,i had a SS4000 after about 15,000 miles i started having a issue with it not locking. i found material in the filter and called them after talking to my transmission builder.
They asked me for the vertor back and found the lock up clutch had a issue with a small bit that had com apart,causing a issue.

It was covered under warranty and all ended well.

Now i have a PT4000 and just started having issues with the convertor not locking up. It could be a convertor issue, but i am going through all other areas of my car first(tran,mechanical,tuning etc.) But it is odd that i have about 15,000 miles on this vertor too and a lock-up issue is happening.

I really like the way the PT4000 performs ,above and beyond my VIG3600 and even better than the SS4000 . I am just tired of having a loose convertor that will not lock up.

It cost me over $450 to prove the trans ,electricals were not the cause the first time around.
Once the stock vertor was put back in , i had no more issues.(Also no more fun )

Good luck,post up what is going on and pray for an early spring so i can start driving my car again .

Dave
Old 01-28-2007 | 10:25 PM
TECH Regular

i'll definately let everyone know whats goin on with it once i get the news from them.
Old 02-02-2007 | 11:48 PM
TECH Regular

well Dave got back to me early today and told me that the clutch was burnt. he said it had to be locking in order to have burnt it up like that. it was at first but quit like i said. he thought i may have a crossleak in the pump? dont know if i'm sayin it exactly right, but anyway he's puttin a new clutch in it and sendin it back so he did me right and i'm happy with that. picture of the clutch is attatched.
Attached Thumbnails more YANK converter issues...-p1010005s.jpg  
Old 02-03-2007 | 02:27 AM
On The Tree

I had a two aussie hi stalls burn and drop their clutches clogging the cooler, got the check engine light due to the heat in the tranny I suppose,
I had lockup in third disabled and 4th lock up set at about 60 mph, thinking among other things it might have been locking too early before..
Have the Yank Py 3400 now and its all good except found the snout that drives the pump cracked for some reason, gotta sort that this week, while the tranny is out being modified again.

Last edited by Tonner; 02-03-2007 at 02:40 AM.
Old 02-03-2007 | 05:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RocketCutlass
well Dave got back to me early today and told me that the clutch was burnt. he said it had to be locking in order to have burnt it up like that. it was at first but quit like i said. he thought i may have a crossleak in the pump? dont know if i'm sayin it exactly right, but anyway he's puttin a new clutch in it and sendin it back so he did me right and i'm happy with that. picture of the clutch is attatched.
sounds like im gonna have to send my converter back as well. lockup for 2 days then dissapeared
Old 02-03-2007 | 01:13 PM
TECH Regular

i dont get the cross leak issue though, can it cross leak with one converter and not the other?
Old 02-03-2007 | 02:02 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by RocketCutlass
i dont get the cross leak issue though, can it cross leak with one converter and not the other?

Yes, the torque from STR ratio that is seen by the stator shaft will twist the alum pump housing and can allow for leakage between the halfs as this happens it also loosens the torque on the bolts that hold the pump together
and the Yank converter also has a larger clutch with more surface area that the other converters out in the market and needs a good supply of high pressure oil to hold it in total lock up

this is common with the alum cast front pump used by the 4l60-e type of transmission, a resurface and rebuild are requiered during the rebuild process of any 4l60-e transmission due to this problem area
Old 02-03-2007 | 02:39 PM
Launching!

The 4L60's are touchy. i ran a yank 4400 and i would loose lock up alot on the street. I deff dont blame the converter though, do any of you guys have trans temp gauges in your cars??? It would be a very good investment. that way if you loose lock up anymore you know when to draw the line and pull over, a 4000-4400 will get a trans hot real quick!! Ive buried mine at 260* a few times, thats with an aftermarket cooler and fan and BnM deep sump pan ive always pulled over and let it cool down though. that kind of heat will burn up clutches. not pointing any fingers though just some things to keep in mind.
Old 02-03-2007 | 02:42 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=smokin2002

do any of you guys have trans temp gauges in your cars??? [/QUOTE] I use the Aeroforce have a sqizz here. http://www.oz8.org/gallery/Tonner/Gauge_Pics_029

Last edited by Tonner; 02-03-2007 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-03-2007 | 04:10 PM
Launching!

cool, nice setup. ive never seen that before
Old 02-03-2007 | 10:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by smokin2002
cool, nice setup. ive never seen that before
Thanks Smokin,I got them Direct from Todd at Aeroforce here http://www.aeroforcetech.com/
Old 02-04-2007 | 03:39 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Yank
Yes, the torque from STR ratio that is seen by the stator shaft will twist the alum pump housing and can allow for leakage between the halfs as this happens it also loosens the torque on the bolts that hold the pump together
and the Yank converter also has a larger clutch with more surface area that the other converters out in the market and needs a good supply of high pressure oil to hold it in total lock up

this is common with the alum cast front pump used by the 4l60-e type of transmission, a resurface and rebuild are requiered during the rebuild process of any 4l60-e transmission due to this problem area
OK, but if it loosened the torque on the bolts and twisted the pump housing wouldn't it still be cross leaking with the old converter i put back in it? or does it twist only when it has that much torque on it? and as far as lock up goes it locked up just like the old one for a few days. i wish my car could talk so it could tell me exactly what happened lol, to me even if the problem is gone it is still not solved until i know what went wrong and i hate not knowing what went wrong. i guess its just me...
Old 02-04-2007 | 08:48 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

I guess if what you have been told is true, your tcc should be shot within the next couple days. I wounder if it is possible that the converter could of developed a crossleak. I will have to ask that question to Jack or Vicki the next time I talk to them. Vince

Last edited by FLT; 02-04-2007 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-04-2007 | 10:19 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
I guess if what you have been told is true, your tcc should be shot within the next couple days. I wounder if it is possiable that the converter could of developed a crossleak. I will have to ask that question to Jack or Vikki the next time I talk to them. Vince

Talk to Terry as as Jack and Vicki just work in the office,
he was the frist one to catch this and bring it to or attention back in 1998
Old 02-04-2007 | 02:38 PM
TECH Regular

what inside the converter would crossleak? that o-ring inside?
Old 04-25-2007 | 02:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by AutomagicLS1
When did everyone get their PT4000's? Maybe they are bad. Hell I dont know. It's not my daily driver so im not to worried about gas mileage. I am worried about the trans heating up. My car has a P0757 code and it goes in and out of limp mode. I need to change the damn shift solenoids and see if its that but i know a tuner will have to delete the code. I'm getting tired of having to pull over and shut my car off for 10 seconds and start going again laol. So Jasson you had the same problem we are having no lockup at all untill you started having someone tune it?
The dreaded P0757 code on the 01's and 2's. I just turned that code off and it solved my problems with locking, unlocking.
Old 04-25-2007 | 07:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Spellbound
The dreaded P0757 code on the 01's and 2's. I just turned that code off and it solved my problems with locking, unlocking.
Yeh I know its enough to make ya HOOOOOOWWWLL.
Old 05-18-2007 | 02:13 PM
Teching In

damn, reading all this has got me worried

my Yank 4200 wouldnt lock from day one, my tuner checked the file, everything is set right, he talked with hp tuners and verfied some things, no lock up, we can manually lock it while your driving with the tuning machine. only hope i got is the trans temp sensor is saying i have a -36 degree trans fluid, so hopefully i can find out whats wrong with the trans temp sensor it will lock up for the first time.
Old 05-18-2007 | 09:48 PM
On The Tree

yeh in the name of production, you know, gotta get the orders out, now where are those lockup clutches we are waiting on,, oh well send em out if they notice we will fit them later,, just kiddin Yank are the best.

Quick Reply: more YANK converter issues...