Sponsored by:

pre - buildup question

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member
Default pre - buildup question

Ok as my sig says i need a good tranny. I've never rebuild a tranny before but i think i can do it since i've rebuilt 2 engines with no problems. fist i want to get the atsg books n go from there. My questions is....if i buy a 4l65, what parts will i be able to reuse because I can get one for $500 locally i think it's a good deal IMO but i could be wrong.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:22 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

well core prices vary wildly over the country and from dealer to dealer. but thats probably not real bad provided its really a 4l65e since I have noted that every core supplier in the country seems to think that any ls1 type 4l60e is a 4l65e ,
As for reusable parts virtually all the hard parts with the exception of the sunshell. And of course bushings etc,
I will advise however if your goal is to do this as a learning experience and you have plenty of time I say go for it, however if this is for a daily driver you need, by the time your done and get the appropriate tools and materials you will have as much or more in it than you would just buying a built unit in both time and money. And you wont have a warranty.
In either case if we can be of help either with advise or a trans let us know we don't mind helping people who want to learn,

Call 888-744-6542