Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

big stall guys please chime in..

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big stall guys please chime in..

Okay put in my new built 4L60 and a fuddle 3800 stall.. have a few questions..

it seems pretty sluggish when cruising..until I gun it.. then flashes up to 3500-4000 and grabs pretty good. normal right?

dosen't seem to have the seat of the pants feel when getting on it, my last stall was called a test torque, no stall at all... just to hold me until this setup. but seemed much stronger pulling. and spun alot more. 1/2 way thru second. this new stall grabs second, dosen't spin much if any..? normal.

and when shifting when getting on it, rpm's dosent drop below 3,000 rpm's between shifts..Normal right?

sorry for the stupid questions, my last true stall was a cheap tci breakaway 2200 stall. and it was a breakaway allright, came apart and took out my first tranny...

I guess I'll get use to it, just seems really to be sluggish and slipping, shifts good and firm, just sluggish when cruising......

just don't have the seat of the pants feel like the no stall did when pulling... thanks for any help...
Old 01-31-2007, 06:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 93-vr4+transam
Okay put in my new built 4L60 and a fuddle 3800 stall.. have a few questions..

it seems pretty sluggish when cruising..until I gun it.. then flashes up to 3500-4000 and grabs pretty good. normal right?
Normal. The bigger stalls are looser stalls so that sluggish feeling will exist at part throttle. Taller gears (which you have) and more aggressive use of the gas peddle can help offset this.

dosen't seem to have the seat of the pants feel when getting on it, my last stall was called a test torque, no stall at all... just to hold me until this setup. but seemed much stronger pulling. and spun alot more. 1/2 way thru second. this new stall grabs second, dosen't spin much if any..? normal.
This is going to depend on variables such as tires, road conditions, weather and the STR of the converter. My converter has a 2.5 STR and I'm running Nittos. On the street from anything below 25 MPH I will just smoke my tires. But going from a 25-30 roll in summer weather I will hook ok and not spin into second.

But if it's spring or fall temps outside then I easily spin into second. But for the most part I have to say normal on this one.

and when shifting when getting on it, rpm's dosent drop below 3,000 rpm's between shifts..Normal right?
That's called the shift extension. Very normal. In fact I would think it would be a lot higher then 3000 on a 3800 stall. My TCI 3500 has a shift extension of 4,700 rpm's.

sorry for the stupid questions, my last true stall was a cheap tci breakaway 2200 stall. and it was a breakaway allright, came apart and took out my first tranny...

I guess I'll get use to it, just seems really to be sluggish and slipping, shifts good and firm, just sluggish when cruising......

just don't have the seat of the pants feel like the no stall did when pulling... thanks for any help...
The only stupid question is the one not asked. You will definately get used to it in time. I don't even notice my converter anymore and have been thinking of going up to a 4000 stall.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:23 AM
On The Tree

thanks for the reply, Im also going to recheck the fluid today, he said it could be up to a 1/2 quart low. due to air pocket or something, after first putting them in...
Old 01-31-2007, 11:28 AM
TECH Regular

You're converter sounds normal as stated above. My 3800 Vigi acts just as described and on shifts RPM never goes under 5400rpm which is why I'm switching converters to better suit my cam setup now. But like I said your converter sounds like its running good.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:17 PM
TECH Resident

+3.

I have a Yank Super Stock 3800. It has a 2.55 STR. My shift extension is right around 5300-5400. It keeps the engine in the heart of the powerband. With the 2.55 STR, the car will spin the tires when down-shifting into second sometimes (below 40 MPH).

It sounds like you are okay, and I'm sure with a Fuddle you are.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

fuddle 4k here and shift extention is around 5,200 or so with 3.23 gears. Your set up sounds right and just like every other high stall out there. You must have just put it in and not use to it. It will take more pedal to really get it moving cause the converter is looser in the lower rpm's than a stock unit but more than makes up for it in the higher rpm where the real power is made.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

I have a Fuddle 4K in my car with 3.73s. My car feels like it has no guts until you really stomp on it then all hell breaks lose. Even with DR the car breaks the tires loose in 2nd. Sounds like everything is normal with your car.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the replies guys. I just had it put in yesterday, only put about 50miles on it, now today we got 3 inches of snow... damn, ready for summer.
I did check it when the car was warm,idling. and it was a 1/2 qt. low. would that make it act any diff? I might have overfilled it by 1/4-1/2 qt. is that okay?
it's not leaking any, the tranny shop said to just check it, because it could of had some air pockets in it, after install. but anyway I'll have to play with it, when the weather clears up...thanks for the info...
Old 02-01-2007, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

Default Update...

Okay got to put about 100 miles today. Now Im getting use to it... still can't feel it lockup on the highway yet when cruising. but man it is nice to keep the rpm's up in it's powerband... a world of diff. from no stall. much better...
Old 02-02-2007, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

take it easy fo rthe first 150 miles, and as for the low trans fluid.. tell us you did fill the converter with fluid before you installed it.. it will hold about 1 gallon by itself.

Quick Reply: big stall guys please chime in..