Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whos had a Performabuilt tranny?>

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 05:53 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well... i guess i will go ahead and share my experience.

i placed an order for a level 2 on the 1st of march. a week later, i still didn't have a tracking number but my credit card was charged right then when i bought it. however we did get that resolved very quickly, no biggie.

next, the day had come to receive my tranny on the 13th. it was very well packed for not being in a crate. (all the peanuts were pissing me off though, lol...) i got it unpacked out of the tote and did not have everything the trans was suppose to come with. i was assured that it would come with a can of solvent to clean out the trans cooler lines and also the oring seal for the tail shaft. no biggie, i blew the lines out with my air compressor and reused my old oring seal that was still in good shape.

then the time had come to fire it up after installing the transmission. i let the engine warm up for a bit, topped off fluids, and of course i was eager to take it for a spin. backed out of the driveway and pulled the collumn down to D. right off the bat i knew something wasn't right. the transmission would start out in 2nd gear for some odd reason, when it would get up to speed it would shift to 3rd by itself and that was it. no 1st or 4th gear no matter what gear i selected. hooked up the scanner/tuning software and the pcm was commanding all gears.

i then immediatly got in contact with them and they suggested the 1-2 solenoid was bad and they were going to overnight me a new one. well since the truck had been down for quite sometime now, i decided to swap the solenoid with the one out of my old trans. that i knew was working prior. even used a volt meter where the harness plugs into the trans to make sure the pin out corresponded with the wire that went to the solenoid. everything checked good, put the pan back on with new fluids and still no 1st and 4th gear.

we all know the reason why we pay for these transmissions is b/c we are suppose to be buying a proven/working combination. kind of like if you buy a crate motor. you should just be able to drop it in and forget about it. i thought about rebuilding my busted one but i said F it, i'll spend the extra money for something i know that works and i won't have to worry about it breaking again.

on a side note, maybe these transmissions should be tested/dyno'd for proper working order before getting sent out. maybe this would help some of the problems, just a suggestion.

in these crisis, frank at performabuilt has been very helpful and understanding. he already had another transmission on the way the next day after i trouble shot the system and changed parts that did not fix it. i hope i have better luck with the second one.

just thought i'd share my experience with yall.

thanks again performabuilt!
Old 03-17-2007, 10:59 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

While I again do opologize that each of you have had problems. I want you to know these are not normal situtations , We have shipped over 400 transmissions in the past 6 months out of those we have had 9 failures including the two above and a very large portion of the transmissions we have sold are to members on this board. We strive to make sure everything is in working order and do our best to make no mistakes, But human we are and as with all things mechanical and where humans are involved things do go wrong, We always move when there is a problem to correct it as quickly and painlessly for the customer as possible. As everyone knows you can always contact us at any time and we are right there to help you wether its a problem with our product or in quite a few cases we have helped solve issues with other vendors products without bias. We are out to be a very different company than has ever exsisted before with quality,service and customer satifaction first and foremost, Will we make mistakes certainly.There is no company out there who can say they do not. What sets us apart is we move imediatley to correct them as we are and have with the customers above and beyond that, we move to correct them on our end from the production aspect so as to minimize there reoccurance. Every suggestion and complaint made by any customer is taken into consideration and moved on . For instance we are aware our present packaging system is not adequate. We recently purchased a packaging system that untilzes foam fill which will basically encase the unit in a hard foam block which will be a drastic improvment over the present double boxed bubble wrap and peanuts mentioned above. This will go into use in the next few days. We are improveing testing proceedures to minimize issues with solenoids. We have even considered the dyno that was mentioned however we have also been warned by fedex that we will be fined if any fluid leakes out and since our alternative would be to begin shipping freight increasing our customers cost by couple hundred dollars we do not feel thats the way to go. Particularly Since most of the failures that have occurred have been hard parts failures and theres no dyno I am aware of with the exception of a chasis dyno and a car for every application that could test for instance wether a planet will stand 700 hp on each unit. Not to mention that again would cause another substaintial price increase as it would be another additional cost.
Our failure rate is around 3 percent though that may not seem high it is to high in our opinion and each time there is and issue we first take care of the customer and then as soon as we determine the problem a new test if needed is put into place to minimize or eliminate that issue.
We are a growing business and we apreciate our customers comments and suggestions. We are here for you. We want to serve you and this market in a way that has never been done before. Again I opologize to the two gentleman above and after we resolve there issues and determine exactly what they are we will take every step to make sure those issues do not occur again either.
Thank you all for your time reading this.
PerformaBuilt Transmissions

Call 888-744-6542

Last edited by performabuilt; 03-17-2007 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:26 AM
Teching In

Well, after the Doc visit on Moday I'm taking mine by to have it scanned on a trans machine. I know with just the trans go kit I instantly had manual shifts on command and I want that again. I'm also going to retrieve the trans code it was setting the first day and find out what went on there. I do not believe this is a "tuning" problem as ED Wright is right here in town and has done my tune and I have never had a problem with the other trans except for the unavoidable wearing out of parts. I can put my old one in and have instant shift selection. although it is wearing out thus the search for a new one I could just plug n play.

In FACT the very first line of type on Trans Go's page says "DRIVER CONTROLLED SHIFTS"

Last edited by SD455; 03-18-2007 at 03:33 AM.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:19 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Actually the transgo kit will allow a downshift at any speed and will allow you to hold gears down as long as you like. However when it comes to upshifts when you push the shifter into a higher gear they are still controlled by the PCM. The PCM must do the following to make a second shift reguardless of shifter posiion it must turn off solenoid A (1-2).To make a 2-3 shift it must then turn off both shift solenoids and to make a 4th gear shift it must turn back on solenoid B (2-3). This must work this way other wise the trans would start in whatever gear that was selected 2=2, D or 3 would = 3rd, So with and auto valve body the 4l60e is still dependant on the PCM for the upshift timing reguardless of when you push the shifter forward into the next gear the shift still will not occur until the PCM makes the command. The only way around this is a full manual valve body. As far as shift timing control really the only thing the Transgo kit accomplishes is the ability hold first gear to any speed and to downshift to first gear at any speed.
If a trans shifts are firm and that does not mean that it will bark the tires everytime it shifts then the transmission is doing its job. The PCM however is completely in control of when this happens.
As for Transgo its and excellent kit we use it in our level 3 unit however its a bit to agressive at light throttle when installed as instructed so we do make some changes to reduce the unnessesary shift impact at lighter throttle positions .

Call 888-744-6542

Last edited by performabuilt; 03-18-2007 at 11:08 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-18-2007, 02:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If any of you are going with a stall, its very important to not consider going without a trans cooler. Its worth spending the extra for the LVL2 and its worth spending a little more for a quality trans cooler. Also adding a stall/performance trans and removing the torque management is something that makes a night and day improvement in the cars performance. It truly has to be experienced to be believed!
Old 03-18-2007, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

a buddy of mine just installed one of these trannies lastnight and is having the same problem as bluecajun.. but ill let him chime in as soon as he craws out from under his truck and can type on a computer...
Old 03-18-2007, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slimcracka
a buddy of mine just installed one of these trannies lastnight and is having the same problem as bluecajun.. but ill let him chime in as soon as he craws out from under his truck and can type on a computer...
Sure enough... we finished the install on his truck this afternoon and no love... the exact same thing as BlueCajun. Performabuilt has already called him and is going to make it right
Old 03-18-2007, 07:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

We are working with him to solve the issue right now.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-18-2007, 07:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea........the same exact problem.I will say i am very frustrated, been sick all day spent my only day off under my truck for nothing so i'm pretty pissed. But at the same time i am thankful that he is being VERY understanding and not a @ss hole! If he takes care of me like he says it will be worth it as long as it holds. So thank u taking care of me and understanding my frustration!
Old 03-18-2007, 07:12 PM
Teching In

Ok, just a quick trip to the corner store and the SES light is back

PO785 Shift timing solenoid malfunction

Send me one of your crates full of foam peanuts and a shipping label. This thing is coming out this week even if I have to go into hock. Sorry but after 2 tries and about 3K I need to have something in my car that works.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:15 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

We always take care of our customers and are here when you need us. And your welcome and I hope you feel better . You didnt sound good on phone , I would get some nyquil and head to bed if I were you.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-18-2007, 10:41 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Attention all Performabuilt customers who have not installed there transmission and have received it in the past 4 weeks.
It has come to our attention that one of the torque wrenches we are using is wrong and when tightened to spec overtightens the bolts to and exstreme level , This wrench was not used on all units so if your trans has been installed and is working fine there is no reason to worry , However if you have not installed your trans we ask that you remove the pan break loose all the valve body bolts at once Then retorque to 8-14 Nm or 7 ft lbs , This is a precautionary measure.These bolts being to tight may cause undesirable operation wrong gears missing gears ect. Again if you have installed you trans and it is working fine do not be concerned, As all units are not affected.
Thank You
PerformaBuilt

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-18-2007, 11:08 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Attention all Performabuilt customers who have not installed there transmission and have received it in the past 4 weeks.
It has come to our attention that one of the torque wrenches we are using is wrong and when tightened to spec overtightens the bolts to and exstreme level , This wrench was not used on all units so if your trans has been installed and is working fine there is no reason to worry , However if you have not installed your trans we ask that you remove the pan break loose all the valve body bolts at once Then retorque to 8-14 Nm or 7 ft lbs , This is a precautionary measure.These bolts being to tight may cause undesirable operation wrong gears missing gears ect. Again if you have installed you trans and it is working fine do not be concerned, As all units are not affected.
Thank You
PerformaBuilt
please verify this issue with my unit.
thank you.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:17 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

no you are not included , However if you like when you do a fliud change you can check the torque to ease you maind but if you have had no unusual shift issues I would not be concerned

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-19-2007, 07:01 PM
TECH Resident

They ALREADY sent a tranny out for me 2day! Very suprised at the customer service.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Thank You
PerformaBuilt
My Level III arrived on Feb 13 th and it is still in the box unopened and not installed. Will I have to check the valve body or is mine not in the group that was overtorqued?

Thanks in advance.

DuWayne
Old 03-20-2007, 07:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

People:

This is the tech forum. General customer service feedback belongs in the sponsor feedback forum. Posts stating that you might/are ordering one don't belong in this. Please limit the posts to how the tranny worked, and if it didn't then include the resolution.

I've pruned this so that it doesn't take 3 hours of sifting through worthless and
gratuitous posts to find out if they work and whether Performabuilt is standing behind them. Please stay on topic.

Last edited by Ragtop 99; 03-20-2007 at 08:09 AM.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

Thank God for a snow storm that hit friday which delayed my trans. from going out til monday, during that delay I get a message that told me about a faulty Tq. wrench so my Trans. got torn apart and the bolts retorqued before it went out..
Old 03-22-2007, 07:06 AM
24v
11 Second Club

I was not going to post this because I felt Frank had taken care of me, but after checking my tracking info today, I am a little dissapointed, so I figured I should share my experience.

I ordered my level 2 from Frank in the beggining of February. It sat at a buddies shop in the box until last weekend. I did not have a chance to work on it due to an injury. Last Saturday I drove the car 1 hour to a friends shop to do the swap. We pulled out the old tranny, and threw it on a bench next to the new one to swap over parts. During this we realized that the back of the case, inside the tailshaft housing area, was cracked all the way around. I immediately called Frank, and told him, as well as e-mailed him pictures.

Frank said he would get a tranny out asap, Mon. or Tues. I requested that it be sent Monday, as I knew it takes exactly 5 days to get here, and I cannot leave the car where it is for another week. The problem here is that the shop the car is at is not a general tech shop, so I can ony work on the car on weekends. They operate like normal on weekdays, and we work on our projects and stuff on the weekends. Frank said he understood, and would try his best to get it out Monday.

I got tracking info on Monday night saying that the pickup request had been made on Monday, and that it was to be here on Friday. I figured that would work out great. Today I checked it again, and it turns out that they did not ship it until Tuesday, and that it will not be here until next Monday.

This entire ordeal has me frustrated. I suppose there is nothing I can do at this point, other than wait another week to put it in and hope I do not have to make arrangements to move the car until then, I just wish Frank would have realized the situation a little better, and tried a little harder to get the tranny out on Monday.

So, the moral of the story here is be sure to look over these trannies with a fine toothed comb. Who knows how long that trans would have stayed together had we not seen the cracks.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:36 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I can assure everyone that any issues that may have exsisted quality wise have been addressed. There have been many changes at PerformaBuilt over the past week. There have been changes in the production layout and there have been numorous quality control checks put in place far beyond what we had before; including our President, the top level person in the facility, is now doing the final end inspection. Making sure everything is as it should be.
On the units that did not ship on time this week, this was in part due to the changover. Since I am aware that each person needs to make plans and set things up to make swaps at certain times we also thought it more important that they get 1- The right unit , 2-A quality unit that was checked over carefully, 3- And improvment in packaging to reduce the possibility of damage in shipping.
(I personally assure everyone these issues have been resolved and you can have complete confidence in the product we are delivering, as you have had in the past.)
These issues were on only a limited number of units and unfortunatly presently this thread does not acuratley represent us since as it always is while anyone with and issue will jump to express it which is human nature the numorous people roughly 97 percent historically , who did not have and issue of any kind and who are happy are not as apt to rush to post because thats not human nature
We like hearing feedback as we use it to improve our service to you which is our most important mission.
Frank at PerformaBuilt

POST YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE COMMENTS IN THE PROPER FORUM UNLESS IT RELATES TO A TECHNICAL ISSUE OR PERFORMANCE COMMENT YOU POSTED HERE.

Call 888-744-6542

Last edited by performabuilt; 03-22-2007 at 09:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Whos had a Performabuilt tranny?>