Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fluid Leak.... Now Tranny wont shift to 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluid Leak.... Now Tranny wont shift to 3rd

I'll keep it short.... I had a hose come loose on tranny cooler on the highway. Lost all the fluid. Whatever didnt spray all over my engine bay ended up on the ground. I noticed a problem when i smelled tranny fluid and got off the highway. As I got off the exit as I tried to get moving, the car wouldnt go into gear. Realized it was because I had no pressure/fluid. Had it towed to a station, I replaced hoses and tightened everything. Filled fluid and still had about 100 miles to go in my road trip. Got back on the road... everything seemed fine. No shifting problems.

Time to leave... two days later I get in the car and start to leave. I get out onto the main road and 1-2 shift is fine, then when it shifts from 2-3 it must miss the gear because th car just revs really high and doesnt go. Turn back around go home, it catches third on the way... but then next time it misses. Ever since then it misses it completely. Drain the fluid and its burned (this is the new fluid). Replace with fresh fluid and Seafoam Trans Flush and take it out for a ride and same thing happens.

I need some advice and wisdom. Mainly on what is wrong. Can I fix it myself? I know the common answer is "Get it rebuilt" but I need other options as well. Thanks for everything in advance.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:16 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

sorry but you killed the 3-4 clutch , Its going to need to be rebuilt or replaced

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-15-2007, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea.... i figured that out the hard way lol... now i have a used built tranny on the way from TN. oh well... life goes on. Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

What caused the hose to come loose...?