Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd to 1st Clunk?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 04:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd to 1st Clunk?

Hi, I just picked up a '95 z28, with an A4 in it. I'm having a bit of concern. Here's a brief desciption of what's up.

The car:

The car is 100% stock. It only has 44k original miles on it. Clearly, it sat around for a bit. I dunno if the owner ran it regularly or not. The motor is running very strong, and the tranny seems to shift well in general; no real noise or hard shifting, EXCEPT there is one thing that concerns me.

The problem:

When coming to a stop, the downshift from 2nd to 1st sometimes, (like 50%-75% of the time), makes a noticable clunk noise. I've been in cars where the tranny is obviously going out and there are huge CLUNKS, loud and very feelable to the driver and passenger. The clunk this tranny is having isn't like that. It typically isn't too noticable to the people in the car unless the radio and fan are both off.

I've never owned an auto tranny previous to this car, so I'm probably a little bit paranoid to start off anyway. Just wondering how much noise is usually involved in shifting, and wondering what are typical things that might cause this. Anyone ever experienced this or know the cause of it?

The noise definitely sounds like its coming from the front half of the car (i.e. I am 99% sure it's not the rear end.) Sometimes I notice the same noise going from 1st to 2nd... typically this is when I'm NOT getting on the gas very hard, but rather just slowly driving around.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

What are your guys' opinions? Is this something I need to take in and get repaired to prevent further damage? (I honestly know absolutely nothing about auto trannies.) I don't mind the noise as long as it's not hurting anything. I'm pretty broke right now. Ha.

Any help or links to similar threads would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys,

-Mitch

Last edited by mitchc1985; 03-30-2007 at 04:15 AM.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Two things to check is the transmission mount and torque arm mount both of which are shitty rubber and connected to the trans. Neither of which are a big deal. The torque arm twists when force is appiled to the rear end and on a decel or shift which can slam around a bit if the bushing is falling apart. Same goes for the trans mount.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:04 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the input man, I'll look into those.

-Mitch
Old 03-31-2007, 06:38 AM
Teching In

mine does it to and i tried almost everthing tried the torque arm, trany mount replaced them both i even got a new sleeve in the tail shaft of the trany. come to find out it just wearing out and time to get a new one. dont worry bro it will last i am still beating on mine waiting on the new one to show up and i have beating on this one for amost a year now so it isnt to bad i just hate the noise and i want to put some serious power to the ground.