Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blew cooler line off....what kind of damage can I expect?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 10:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Blew cooler line off....what kind of damage can I expect?

Went for a cruise this evening and as I pulled on the highway, my car started putting down a white smoke screen. I pulled off and into a parking lot. As I was pulling in to the parking lot, the tranny was slipping but had enough to move the car. I shut down and saw the puddle growing under the car. The cooler line split right behind a clamp. I was able to remove the clamp, cut off the bad section and re-attach it. Topped off the fluid and headed home.

The tranny shifted fine, but the converter was having issues locking. Got home and checked the level and it was low. Topped it off again and took it for a check ride. Believe it or not, the line blew again! . Went about a 1/4 mile and noticed the tranny slipping again. I was stopped and hit the gas lightly and heard a squealing noise. Shut the car off immediately and pushed it home. Tranny temps never exceeded 180* and never threw a code of any sort.

I plan on dropping the pan Monday or Tuesday and seeing what the damage is. Any guesses on what I can expect? I'm hoping I can fix the cooler line and fill it back up, but something tells me it may not be that easy. I never got overly hot and I shut down as soon as I heard the squeal. Please tell me I have a chance of being alright .
Old 03-30-2007, 10:25 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Over heating from fuild loss is not your main worry its clutches slipping from not enough presure. But I have seen cars run dry fill up and do fine , But will be hard to tell just by pulling pan because that type of damage is called a flash burn and though you may be able to smell it there may not be anything in the pan, But I would just fix the line and fill it up and see what you have ,

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-30-2007, 10:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

and that folks is the reason I always tell people to not use rubber lines and clamps. Find you a shop that makes hoses and have some real hoses with pressure fittings made. Yeah it will cost some money but its cheap insurance.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:53 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

ageed and even if you need to many parts stores they may list as brake line have the straight metal lines that you bend your self its not that hard really and they work well

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-31-2007, 07:15 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by EDS01SS
and that folks is the reason I always tell people to not use rubber lines and clamps. Find you a shop that makes hoses and have some real hoses with pressure fittings made. Yeah it will cost some money but its cheap insurance.
Gotta learn somehow. I went with people's recommendations on this site and used Goodyear hose and fuel injector style clamps. The hose is what failed. But yes, if it all works out, I will be replacing with hard line. What kind of place can do that?
Old 03-31-2007, 07:21 AM
11 Second Club

So no point in pulling pan? This tranny doesn't have but ~4K miles on it. Also, it will be okay to fill it up and start it without checking to see if the converter still has fluid in it? I don't know how much fluid I lost, but I think there might still be some in there.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:48 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
Gotta learn somehow. I went with people's recommendations on this site and used Goodyear hose and fuel injector style clamps. The hose is what failed. But yes, if it all works out, I will be replacing with hard line. What kind of place can do that?

I actually used steel braided hose and the proper fittings on my car. cost me $120 for 2 6ft braided steel hoses and the fittings to go with them.I know thats quite a bit of money for hoses but the chances of them failing anytime soon is slim to none.I just like the added insurance that their not gonna just pop off or fail.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:56 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
So no point in pulling pan? This tranny doesn't have but ~4K miles on it. Also, it will be okay to fill it up and start it without checking to see if the converter still has fluid in it? I don't know how much fluid I lost, but I think there might still be some in there.
I would pull the pan just to check inside and make sure there is no unusually big chunks of clutch material in there.There is no way in hell you lost all the fluid out of the converter....thats impossible.Just pull the pan down and make sure nothing is out of the ordinary in there, fill it back up and take it for a little cruise to get the fluid warmed up and check for any unusual shifting. Check the fluid again once it is warm and if all seems fine let er rip