Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80E Full manual valve body???

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 10:21 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary Z
I’m not an auto-trans expert but this idea needs clarification. An important advantage of a partially electronic valve body is that the hydraulics are simplified by the inclusion of electrical valves (solenoids) rather than mechanical valves. Reverting to the old-fashioned type of valve body seems so impractical to me as to be essentially impossible. If, by fully manual valve body, you mean “stand-alone manual controller” then it makes sense. I think TCI makes such a controller for the 4L60E and 4L80E. This, I assume, is an independent (of the PCM) electronic controller that can simulate a fully manual valve body. Forward or reverse is probably optional.
No, we are talking computer-less here. Transgo makes the one that I was researching. I just haven't been able to find a single person that does not have an issue with it.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
No, we are talking computer-less here.
If true, then someone did something clever the wrong way.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:05 PM
Mia
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
its a B&M quicksilver

you can put in ratchet mode if you want to manual shift or just drop it in D as seen here:

what did you have to do to get Quicksilver to fit?
Old 07-08-2007, 08:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

only one part of the front of the shifter bracketry had to be modified to physically get under the m6 console.. this part

everything else you do would be the same making any auto shifter work

this pic here was taken prior to the tab with the two holes in it directly ahead of the shifter handle being cut and bent down some
Old 07-08-2007, 08:58 AM
9 Second Club

I have heard of problems downshifting. One guy could only down shift above 30 MPH and the other guy couldn't don shift unless the car was stopped. Also pne of them would bang really hard into gear when stopped.
I have ZERO problems with mine when it comes to shifting! Who ever did those tranny's doesnt know what they are doing. Mine works flawless. The only problem I had was the guy who built it wired the lockup wrong internally. So I have to fix that with my current build. Basicly I have a manual car with no clutch!

Last edited by JMBLOWNWS6; 07-08-2007 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:04 AM
9 Second Club

I dont think that the Rossler Tbrake is for a manual vb.
Rossler is working on a T brake for the manual V body I know this for a fact!
Old 11-16-2007, 06:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
I have ZERO problems with mine when it comes to shifting! Who ever did those tranny's doesnt know what they are doing. Mine works flawless. The only problem I had was the guy who built it wired the lockup wrong internally. So I have to fix that with my current build. Basicly I have a manual car with no clutch!
WHere did you get your trans from . A link if you have it thanks
Old 11-16-2007, 10:43 PM
TECH Regular

its a B&M quicksilver

you can put in ratchet mode if you want to manual shift or just drop it in D as seen here:

how did you get the shifter to work with the OD...its a 3 speed shifter so how is over drive worked
Old 11-16-2007, 11:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

I've built the full manual VB 4L80Es and haven't had any issues with them. They downshift on command.
You do have to be careful with shift calibration because it gets harsh quick with a 4L80.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:55 AM
FormerVendor

Here is the deal guys.

Indeed Carl Rossler manufactures the 4L80E trans brake. Currently it cannot be used in conjunction with a Manual Valve Body because in order to achieve braking the manual valve must be in the 3rd gear position... and yes he has decided to carve out some R&D time this fall and winter to solve the puzzle.

So, with a brake you need to let the controller do it's thing.

As far as a manual valve body, there are a few solutions. So no big deal there either. If you go Manual then you need no controller... but you will not have the added advantage of spooling on a brake or max effort launches.

Building the 80E either way will offer distinct advantages.

g
Old 11-17-2007, 09:06 AM
Install Director

Just subscribing to the thread. I am trying to decide between a TH400, built 60e, or built 80e. I was hoping for reverse manual valve body with transbrake, although I can leave out the transbrake for now but I want to do this all the way so I only do this once.

Last edited by wizkid; 11-17-2007 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

mine with automatic valvebody can be downshifted on command??? along wit pretty much every auto trans that comes in a car with selectable lower gears.

the quicksilver can handle 4 speeds.. obviously.. mine works fine. it is advertised for use with the 700r4 etc
Old 11-18-2007, 06:56 AM
Install Director

its a B&M quicksilver

are the two switches for tc lockup and OD?
Old 11-18-2007, 07:16 AM
Staging Lane

What shifter position do you use with the transbrake and automatic valve body?

I've got the GM technician's guide and thought I had figured out how to add a transbrake myself, but it seemed like it would only work with the shifter in manual 1st. I'd rather leave it in D or OD.

I'm unconvinced that a manual valve body is the way to go, surely with good programming the electronic automatic can be both an accurate racer and a smooth drive on the street - why spoil it?

James
Old 11-18-2007, 09:42 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
... in order to achieve braking the manual valve must be in the 3rd gear position... g
There ya go.

The idea of running one manually or automatically is always going to be a personal choice that is driven by the combination and intended use.

g
Old 11-18-2007, 09:45 AM
Install Director

Originally Posted by jsmcortina
What shifter position do you use with the transbrake and automatic valve body?

I've got the GM technician's guide and thought I had figured out how to add a transbrake myself, but it seemed like it would only work with the shifter in manual 1st. I'd rather leave it in D or OD.

I'm unconvinced that a manual valve body is the way to go, surely with good programming the electronic automatic can be both an accurate racer and a smooth drive on the street - why spoil it?

James
That is because you like the Automatic. Remember, there are a lot of us still trying to race 6 speeds, not the best answer, but a fun one. However, the time may have come for me to make the move to an auto trans but I want a manual valve body. I like the control and the fact I can bolt and go. Well, at least on a 350 or 400 turbo. I would deal with a standalone computer for the OD so I can still drive it to Bristol 2.5 hours away to race. But I want to change my own gears and have a trans brake.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:18 AM
FormerVendor

Yeah I hear ya! The problem is 2.5 hours at 3,500 rpm with a 3 speed can be awfully hard on your engine. The 400 seems like a logical choice, but if you have any gear in that thing it's going to be difficulot to drive it to the track without an overdrive.

g
Old 11-18-2007, 10:32 AM
Install Director

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
Yeah I hear ya! The problem is 2.5 hours at 3,500 rpm with a 3 speed can be awfully hard on your engine. The 400 seems like a logical choice, but if you have any gear in that thing it's going to be difficulot to drive it to the track without an overdrive.

g
4.11's

I may have to deal without the transbrake for OD sake in a manual valve body. My car is not a daily driver, may not be considered a monthly driver even.

My goal for the car is only 450 rwhp over the next few years, so I don't see why a transbrake is all that necessary since I am not shooting for the stars. I am at 400 rwhp now. I need a tune after I put on my Fast 90/90 intake and TB. I am hoping that gets me to the 450 mark with my heads and cam.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wizkid
That is because you like the Automatic.
Well, actually my current car has a 5 speed manual. I'm looking forward to a computer controlled auto as my datalogs show I'm wasting far too much time on my shifts (maybe 0.4 per shift?!)

James
Old 11-19-2007, 09:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by wizkid
are the two switches for tc lockup and OD?
it goes into 4th gear (overdrive) automatically provided i am in the location one click behind neutral. ratcheting down once gives 3 another is 2 and next is 1

lockup also happens automatically depending when and where i want it to happen in the ecm tuning (bs3 box)

the switches are replay(data logging), intercooler pump and fan override, and methanol purge

the 80 is beast.. period, i reccomend it to everyone.

with my 3.42 gear and short tire, i go in to overdrive (4th not third) at 135mph.. so im in OD for the better part of the second 8th and it just cruises like its not paying attention to the weight of the car or the tq i'm putting through it.

Quick Reply: 4L80E Full manual valve body???