Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The classic will the tranny hold question?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 04:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The classic will the tranny hold question?

Well, my auto is pushing 93k miles now and I'm thinking about putting a TR224 cam in, now with that kind of power is the old tranny gonna rip itself apart or will it be safe? Sorry if it's a dumb question but the car's my DD and I'm trying to cover all angles before the cam swap. Thanks for the info guys.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:55 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, not sure about the cam... but from experience I would say get the transmission built as well. Or at least plan to get it done soon. That mileage is getting up there.

The deal is, with the new cam you are going to drive it differently... and that's when the tranny will become symptomatic. There are a bunch of soft parts in there that are going to be weak... rubber seals, clutches, pistons etc...

just my .02

Good Luck

g
Old 06-18-2007, 05:03 PM
11 Second Club

will it kill the tranny? i have no idea. its a crap shoot. if the car was taken care of and the fluids changed, you should be fine. the cam will cause more wear and tear because of the extra power, if this is enough to push it over dead tranny hill, i dont know.

one thing you can do to help the tranny out would be to limit the shift points to 6k rpm. also, change the tranny fluid and filter. maybe but a oiler cooler on there.

have you thought about a stall for it?
Old 06-19-2007, 07:36 AM
TECH Regular

Definitely put a tranny cooler on. Heck, every auto in the world should have one to make them last longer.