Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm F'ed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I'm F'ed!

What a crappy last few weeks, first the car gets wrecked and is in the shop, and now the trans in the truck decided to take a dump on the way to work. It has no reverse, no overdrive and slips on the upshifts. The fluid level is ok but it is pretty dirty.The truck is a 2000 GMC Jimmy/Envoy 4.3 4wd with 130,000 miles. My question(s) are- is the trans a 4l60e, and what should I expect to pay for a rebuild or replacement?
Old 07-04-2007, 10:01 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

yes its a 4l60e not sure if you have a performance truck or a work truck but in either case we have the trans for you , we have the levels 2 and 3 for the performance or the heavy haulers and rocks crawlers for the working truck, Before you spend money at a shop check out our site Thanks

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-04-2007, 10:42 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by '00_Z
What a crappy last few weeks, first the car gets wrecked and is in the shop, and now the trans in the truck decided to take a dump on the way to work. It has no reverse, no overdrive and slips on the upshifts. The fluid level is ok but it is pretty dirty.The truck is a 2000 GMC Jimmy/Envoy 4.3 4wd with 130,000 miles. My question(s) are- is the trans a 4l60e, and what should I expect to pay for a rebuild or replacement?

Sounds like you have a broken sun shell. A fair price for a rebuilt will probably be $1200-$1600 installed. Make sure when they do your trans that they install a beast sun shell to eliminate this failure in the future. Sounds like with your luck when it rains it pours! Hope you have better luck soon! Vince
Old 07-04-2007, 10:49 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$1,200.00 to $1600.00 is a reasonable price. Some in our area charge more some some less.

Hate to see the luck... Good things will come to ya! Be patient.

g
Old 07-05-2007, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the info guys. It will be a few days until it gets looked at but we will see what happens. There aren't really any shops in the area I would trust to do a rebuild, so depending on how much it would cost to remove/replace it I may be going with a remanufactured unit. The truck is a daily driver that sees alot of stop and go traffic as well as highway mileage, so something a bit heavier duty would be nice. The truck does have the Tow/Haul mode, is this something built into the trans or are the changes all handled by the PCM?
Old 07-05-2007, 07:48 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by '00_Z
Thanks for the info guys. It will be a few days until it gets looked at but we will see what happens. There aren't really any shops in the area I would trust to do a rebuild, so depending on how much it would cost to remove/replace it I may be going with a remanufactured unit. The truck is a daily driver that sees alot of stop and go traffic as well as highway mileage, so something a bit heavier duty would be nice. The truck does have the Tow/Haul mode, is this something built into the trans or are the changes all handled by the PCM?
The tow haul mod is a PCM thing basically raises line and little and shift points not so different from the performance mode switch some cars have/

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-05-2007, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by performabuilt
The tow haul mod is a PCM thing basically raises line and little and shift points not so different from the performance mode switch some cars have/

Thanks, thats what I figured. One more question-for now, is there a difference btwn 2wd and 4wd transmissions?
Old 07-05-2007, 09:00 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, the biggest difference is the output shaft, it's shorter to accomodate the transfer case.

g