Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60(non electric) slipping bottom of second??

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 05:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60(non electric) slipping bottom of second??

Well, I finally installed a new to the car, used 4l60 in my wifes 93 Z28. I got the trans very cheap, so I thought I'd try it rather than spending a whole lot more on a new/rebuilt unit. I was told it worked flawlessly in the stock 93Z it came out of, and it was bought from a very trustworthy guy. The transmission is stock, other than the transgo shiftkit that I just installed in it before it went in the car. The 1-2 shift is MUCH softer than the 2-3 shift. If I nail it from about 35MPH in second, the car revs up to near 5000 RPM, then slowly drops back down to about 4300-4500RPM, pulling harder as the RPM's drop. It is basically exacting exactly like the tires are loose and slowly hooking back up, except it is in the trans, not the tires. It has a 3200 RPM 9" Hughes convertor in it(flushed after old trans went). What would cause the 1-2 shift to be so soft? What would cause only 2nd gear to slip? Could I have assembled something wrong in the shift kit? This is the 4th or 5th kit I have installed, so I don't think its that, but ya never know. I'd like to salvage the trans if possible. Other than those 2 other issues, it operates flawlessly. Could it be fluid related?(old fluid in the tranny coolers, possibility of a small amount of residual brake cleaner in the trans from the shiftkit). Let me know what ya think. Thanks, Nick.

By the way, the car has a hot cam kit, full exhaust and intake, and a mail order tune, so it is putting down maybe 320 to the tires, which I would think wouldn't be too much for a stock tranny.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

is the tv cable adjusted properly
Old 07-09-2007, 06:01 PM
TECH Regular

Its as close to properly adjusted as I can get it. I think its adjusted properly because it shifts out of gears when not on the throttle at the right time. Plus the 2-3 shift is perfect. If I loosen it up at all, it shifts later at low throttle. Adjuster(plastic tab at the throttle body) all the way out, it doesnt leave first until about 4500, all the way in it shifts at about 2200 when barely on the throttle, so I have it all the way in. It does want to shift out of gears slightly early at WOT(bout 5000 RPM), maybe I should adjust it some more.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:04 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I would try ajusting it more but also bear in mind that that slide to second is frying the band , I have never had luck with a used trans myself

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-09-2007, 08:29 PM
TECH Regular

I noticed another issue, not sure if it is related or not. The speedometer does not work until about 8 mph, after that, it works fine. Could this be related? Also, when installing the shiftkit, there is a cover on the side of the trans that is to be removed, a few parts are replaced, and some washers are installed, 3 thick, and 3 thin. You are supposed to remove washers until the band that you can see from near the valve body slides front to back 1-3/16ths of an inch. Mine, with all washers installed, slid front to back about a quarter of an inch?? What does this mean? Sorry for the poor descriptions, transmissions aren't my thing.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:41 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

WITH ALL THE SHIMS AND STILL THAT MUCH PLAY SOUNDS LIKE THE BAND HAS ABOUT HAD IT , You will be going into the trans soon.

Originally Posted by 94strokedz
I noticed another issue, not sure if it is related or not. The speedometer does not work until about 8 mph, after that, it works fine. Could this be related? Also, when installing the shiftkit, there is a cover on the side of the trans that is to be removed, a few parts are replaced, and some washers are installed, 3 thick, and 3 thin. You are supposed to remove washers until the band that you can see from near the valve body slides front to back 1-3/16ths of an inch. Mine, with all washers installed, slid front to back about a quarter of an inch?? What does this mean? Sorry for the poor descriptions, transmissions aren't my thing.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-09-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Regular

Oh well, for a few hundred bucks, if it buys my wife a month of drive time, then it was worth it. I'll just make sure she doesn't go on any road trips with it, don't need her gettin stranded. Thanks as always for the info.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

You are allways welcome

Call 888-744-6542