Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It just wont make the 2-3

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 02:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default It just wont make the 2-3

Well after doing some experimenting I still cannot get my car to complete the 2-3 shift on the spray it hits the limiter everytime I have to let out to get it to shift. I did get it to shift once on the street but it wont shift at the track. The trans shifts fine on part throttle or motor just wont make the 2-3 on more nitrous. I set the shift points as low as 4200 and the mph as low as 55 so far at its no luck maybe I should start think about a 80E. Anyone have any other ideas on how to get this to shift? I do have hp tuners track logs if anyone wants to take a look.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:56 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Hvae you looked at the datalog and or data stream to see if the PCM is actually comanding the shift, Not when you have it programed to but that the comand is actually being made?

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-15-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

Im pretty sure the pcm is commanding the shift as it shifts fine on motor just the bigger shot of nitrous it wont shift.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:55 PM
TECH Regular

what do you have your window switch set at?? or are you trying to spray through the shift?
Old 07-15-2007, 04:31 PM
TECH Regular

Well I have it set to about 6400 off my converter seems to flash to about 5700 or so I plan on trying a 6000 off rpm pill next time. Its not spraying through shifts as it doesnt shift till about 6800 or so. I have the rev limiter set at 7000. The trans used to shift fine with a 125 through a nos nozzle but I recently got a dynotune nozzle which flows more hp. I jetted both for 150hp and the dynotune had 50more hp same dyno same day.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:33 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Might be having the old 3-4 clutch failure. Sounds like you have the mph and the rpms dropped pretty far. How old is the unit?
Old 07-15-2007, 04:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
Might be having the old 3-4 clutch failure. Sounds like you have the mph and the rpms dropped pretty far. How old is the unit?
The unit is about 2 yrs old with about 5k miles and 30 track passes some on motor and some on nitrous. The trans shifts fine on motor and nice and crisp part throttle. I got the probuilt pro street kit which is supposed to be real good installed by a local trans shop. I do have a stock 4l60e with a shiftkit sitting around also. Ill probably just throw in a junkyard 4l80e though. Im probably going to continue racing with this tranny for now. Maybe ill try adding some tq managment.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:43 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree... sounds like 3/4 is giving it up.

What is the fluid condition?

If the fluid shows no signs of contamination then proceed with caution... meaning don't lean on this unit until you solve the 2/3 upshift issue.

If it is a mechanical issue related to the build, as I suspect... you could damage the unit as it is not "engaged" at a very high rpm and relative mph... at least during our developmental program we found this was a critical symptom.... the units that did not have a firm 2/3 upshift.. hit the limiter on N2O.... were the ones that lasted a while but eventually failed.

It has been our experience that when these symptoms exists there can be a correlation between not only the internal hydraulic / mechanical conditions but also the software controlling shift timing.

Has your unit been able to ever hit the 2/3 shift on N2O?

We fought that condition or a t least a similar condition for a few months and on a few high powered cars at the track ourselves and found the condition to be internal, related to the build. After we found that solution we have not yet suffered a 3/4 clutch failure. Lol.... not to say we won't though!

There is much, much more to building this unit than installing a kit... I think you bought a good one, but have no idea what was done to the hydraulic circuity... in my experience, in my opinion that is hwere you will find this problem.

Talk to Dana because I have no clue as to what is in his kits vs. what your builder put together, he builds a smokin unit and I would bet he has some ideas for you.

Good Luck

g

Last edited by Gilbert@Ace Racing; 07-15-2007 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
I agree... sounds like 3/4 is giving it up.

What is the fluid condition?

If the fluid shows no signs of contamination then proceed with caution... meaning don't lean on this unit until you solve the 2/3 upshift issue.

If it is a mechanical issue related to the build, as I suspect... you could damage the unit as it is not "engaged" at a very high rpm and relative mph... at least during our developmental program we found this was a critical symptom.... the units that did not have a firm 2/3 upshift.. hit the limiter on N2O.... were the ones that lasted a while but eventually failed.

It has been our experience that when these symptoms exists there can be a correlation between not only the internal hydraulic / mechanical conditions but also the software controlling shift timing.

Has your unit been able to ever hit the 2/3 shift on N2O?

We fought that condition or a t least a similar condition for a few months and on a few high powered cars at the track ourselves and found the condition to be internal, related to the build. After we found that solution we have not yet suffered a 3/4 clutch failure. Lol.... not to say we won't though!

There is much, much more to building this unit than installing a kit... I think you bought a good one, but have no idea what was done to the hydraulic circuity... in my experience, in my opinion that is hwere you will find this problem.

Talk to Dana because I have no clue as to what is in his kits vs. what your builder put together, he builds a smokin unit and I would bet he has some ideas for you.

Good Luck

g
The fluid looks pretty good and it looked good at the last change. It shifted fine before when it was jetted for 125 90rw but once I stepped up the jetting its been banging the rev limiter. I dont really feel like ripping this trans out and putting it back in again because I have done that 4 times to find out my builder put in the wrong stator support and it had no tq multipicaton. If im not certain its not going to be fixed im not going to pull it. I will probably just upgrade to a 4l80e now and be done no sense messing around with an 4l60e anymore there 3-4 clutch pack seems to be weak and I would almost rather use a stock 4l60e anyway because apparently this built unit is pretty much garbage so ill probably end up breaking it because its worth as much as a stock unit to sell. I do have a stock 4l60e with a shift kit with 33k miles on it it would be interesting to see if that would shift knowing my luck it probably would haha. My trans builder was also against the vacuum modulator that came with my kit so I have that sitting here. What does everyone think about the 4l80e even in stock form and would it be worth it to vacuum mod it. Thanks.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:15 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

under 700rwtq, i'd keep a built 60e. 80e is much stronger than a 60e but you arent in 80e territory yet. I'd get your tranny builder on the phone and go over everything. If he could look at the trans before you have total failure, I am sure it would help find the weakness
Old 07-16-2007, 04:15 PM
TECH Regular

Well I figure even if I do get this under control by contacting my builder or whatever it takes im better off spending the money now and moving up to a 4l80e I primarily race the car and the 4l60e just wont hold up to 30-50 passes a year. I would rather upgrade now and have a real upgradable trans that will take alot of punishment. Im pretty much tired of messing around with these 4l60es. I do have plans on running about a 200-225rwhp shot of the juice plus who knows what in the future so I might as well upgrade now.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:42 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

I remember the builder on this, he did not know that the LS1 stator support was longer, and added a non LS1 stator support, and that was why the TC problems. As for your problem of no 2-3 WOT shift on nitrous, this can be solved with a couple of hole size changes in the separator plate. As long as the 3-4 clutch pack is in decent shape here, this can be solved. Call me when you see this. Dana.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by PBA
I remember the builder on this, he did not know that the LS1 stator support was longer, and added a non LS1 stator support, and that was why the TC problems. As for your problem of no 2-3 WOT shift on nitrous, this can be solved with a couple of hole size changes in the separator plate. As long as the 3-4 clutch pack is in decent shape here, this can be solved. Call me when you see this. Dana.
Maybe I will do that thanks for the response and I probably wont be dealing with that particular trans builder as it seems like he always makes it seems like its my problem or he blames it on something totally different and he will probably try and rip me on parts that it doesnt need. I dont think the 3-4 clutches are toast because it shifts like it always did part throttle just under WOT with the bigger shot it hits the limiter. Iam just trying to think of the future and maybe I might just go with a 4l80e because even in stock form they are good transmissions and they can from what I understand be built to take alot of abuse.