Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny rebuild ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 04:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tranny rebuild ?

Typically, how much, ball-park should I expect to pay for my trans to be rebuilt, and what usually needs to be replaced when I get on it, it gets sideways, and then just revs up like it jumped out of gear..
Old 07-15-2007, 05:18 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this a new problem that you are having? If it neutrals when you get it side ways, you might want to verify if your trans is full of oil. With the mods in your signature one of our level 3 or 4 units would work just fine. When you get some time click the link in my sig. Check out what we have to offer and also the pricing is there for you as well as the build sheets with the parts that we use.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:39 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
Is this a new problem that you are having? If it neutrals when you get it side ways, you might want to verify if your trans is full of oil. With the mods in your signature one of our level 3 or 4 units would work just fine. When you get some time click the link in my sig. Check out what we have to offer and also the pricing is there for you as well as the build sheets with the parts that we use.

What size converter does the level 4 unit have?
Old 07-15-2007, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rebuilt to stock specs or beefed up? You should choose the latter.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

The prices for rebuild vary wildly , I too would suggest you go with a built unit, Alaso take a moment to check out our site. I would suggest our level2 unit we also have converter combos and all prices are clearly written there , Theres no core.core charge and shipping is included to anywhere in the mainland usa . Though I would just check the fluid level 1st
Thanks

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-15-2007, 07:06 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 273sunsetZ
What size converter does the level 4 unit have?
Coverters are sold seperately.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:16 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would prefer to determine if it needs to be replaced....certainly if it needs to come out it would be smart to consider a performance unit. But, I am not so sure this unit is hurt.

Let's determine if it has internal problems first and if so then we'll go from there....

Here are a few questions to help you determine of there is something out of the ordinary happening inside,....

What is the fluid level? ... as Vince stated previously, when hammering on it and sliding one way or the other if the fluid is low the pump will cavitate, when that happens the unit will slip.

What is the fluid condition? Is it dark or fairly clear?

What does the fluid smell like? Either it has a pungent odor or it does not.

When was the last time your unit was serviced? Are there transmission fluid leaks? Does the transmissioin function properly immediately after getting sideways?

Lot's to determine before I would replace this one based on the OP's description of the symptoms.

g
Old 07-15-2007, 07:40 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
I would prefer to determine if it needs to be replaced....certainly if it needs to come out it would be smart to consider a performance unit. But, I am not so sure this unit is hurt.

Let's determine if it has internal problems first and if so then we'll go from there....

Here are a few questions to help you determine of there is something out of the ordinary happening inside,....

What is the fluid level? ... as Vince stated previously, when hammering on it and sliding one way or the other if the fluid is low the pump will cavitate, when that happens the unit will slip.

What is the fluid condition? Is it dark or fairly clear?

What does the fluid smell like? Either it has a pungent odor or it does not.

When was the last time your unit was serviced? Are there transmission fluid leaks? Does the transmissioin function properly immediately after getting sideways?

Lot's to determine before I would replace this one based on the OP's description of the symptoms.

g
The fluid level stays on full all the time, I check it weekly. Two months ago I dropped the pan and changed what I could out of the trans. Even before that, it slipped and it was just getting worse. It's done this before at higher speeds, but never while getting sideways. Just confused on if I should go ahead and buy a built unit, or rebuild this one with heavy duty componets...
Old 07-15-2007, 08:06 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well that helps, sounds like you are doing your maintenance and checking the fluid often! The symptoms as descirbed imply an internal issue. If the fluid is gopod and clear then it must have been changed often as a slipping tranny generates clutch material ordinarilly... and if that debris is minimal then the fluid would smell burnt... if the tranny clutches are slipping... sure your tires aren't spinning and that is why the RPM's go up and it feels very loose?

If it were me and $$$ was an issue I would start saving now and drive it hard but no abusively. It will fail, when it does then you will have saved your $$$ and would have done your reasearch as to whose transmission you would install.

That is my .02 for ya!!!!

Good Luck with it!

g
Old 07-15-2007, 08:33 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
Well that helps, sounds like you are doing your maintenance and checking the fluid often! The symptoms as descirbed imply an internal issue. If the fluid is gopod and clear then it must have been changed often as a slipping tranny generates clutch material ordinarilly... and if that debris is minimal then the fluid would smell burnt... if the tranny clutches are slipping... sure your tires aren't spinning and that is why the RPM's go up and it feels very loose?

If it were me and $$$ was an issue I would start saving now and drive it hard but no abusively. It will fail, when it does then you will have saved your $$$ and would have done your reasearch as to whose transmission you would install.

That is my .02 for ya!!!!

Good Luck with it!

g
Well thanks, this evening I took it down the street and got sideways again, but it acted normal. Then on the way home i punched at a higher speed, around 50, and it just kept reving and finally down shifted. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but before i changed the rear out this wkend it would shift about 4-500 rpm past the usuall shift point.. The whole thing has just been acting weird!!!!! I already have the money saved up, but still not sure if I want to drop 2k on a new trans.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:05 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

If you just changed out your rear end did you reprogram your computer?
Did you change the ratio? I think that you left out some info in this thread. I believe that you might have a tuning issue.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
If you just changed out your rear end did you reprogram your computer?
Did you change the ratio? I think that you left out some info in this thread. I believe that you might have a tuning issue.
Hopefully it'll be programmed this wkend. Either way, the trans was slipping before the install; I made two diffrent threads about what to expect after gear install without a reprogram, everyone said that my RPM, MPH, and mabie ABS would act up.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say tuning too, just caught this thread my buddy had the exact same issue after a rear swap and trans rebuild. It finally took 2 different tuners to get it right
Old 07-16-2007, 07:09 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Websy21
I'd say tuning too, just caught this thread my buddy had the exact same issue after a rear swap and trans rebuild. It finally took 2 different tuners to get it right

Hand held tuners, or LS1edit type softwares.