Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What parts for a blow proof 4L60E for 800+ hp

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 10:49 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had three different trans combos in my 99 Z over the 2 different times i've owned it. New with the prototype Incon Twin Turbo setup I spent over 6K trying to make the 4L60E hold and it always failed. Now this was 5 years ago before real hard parts and trial and error had occurred with the trans but I still spent 6K and it was always a risk. Then I sold the trans / engine & Twin Turbo setup and went n/a with a TH400 and it was great except for interstate driving. I then sold the car and built a vette. Last year I bought the Camaro back and it now had a FLP level 4 4L60E and it worked great but when I decided to have a 500hp engine w/ 2 kits i decided to swap the trans rather than take the risk of wasting another trans and more money down the drain. I installed a Best of everything 4L80E from gear star with billet and cryo everything. 1 year with hundreds of street racing passes/ 50 plus track passes and over 8k miles from 400 rwhp to over 750 and not one problem. I run a compushift controller with the trans typically set for full manual mode. ( I keep the controller in case I need to valet the car and I simply switch back to the full auto mode with shift points set @ 3,500 rpm to avoid a dumbass valet kid trying to hammer the car) Anyway the complete 80E setup from gearstar was 5,700 with a 2 year warranty valid for up to 1200hp with a Yank converter and the compushift electronic package.
FWIW the 4L80E kicks *** except that it cost me ~ 15RWHP over the 4L60E and added 62lbs. This is a fair price to pay to have a 9 sec car that gets 20mpg on the highway that does not break. knock on wood......... I also sold the 4L60E and converter that was in the car for 2,000 so the ultimate price wasn't that bad.

Quick Reply: What parts for a blow proof 4L60E for 800+ hp