Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3500 rpm at 70mph??? is this correct?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 02:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 3500 rpm at 70mph??? is this correct?

Just got my Formula last Friday and had it on the highway for the first time. I noticed the car turning 3500 rpm at 70 mph. I have never had a car that revved this high at 70. The converter seems to be locking, so i dont beleive thats the issue. When i tap the brake, the rpms jump a bit, which tells me it is locking. The car is supposed to have stock gears. Is this normal, or is something definately wrong? It just feels like the car is working way to hard. Also, I know my speedo is off a litle bit because of my 17" TTII's, but not enough to make a huge difference here. Any help is appreciated TIA
Old 07-30-2007, 04:24 PM
Teching In

Im a retard....I was in 3rd gear, the shifter selector is off. Got on the highway to drive home and ****** it up one, and im at 2400 rpm at 70mph. Questions is, i drove about 30miles like that, could I have burned the clutches in that amount of driving? Im going to change the fluid and filter tonight just as a precaution.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:10 PM
Staging Lane

No, that wouldn't burn up the 3-4 clutches.

You were in manual third and your converter doesn't lock up in that gear choice.

Your converter probably heated up your fluid as it wasn't in lock up.

This wouldn't hurt the tranny unless this was done for long periods of time at which point your seals start to degrade.

Should be OK.

Changing the fluid and filter won't hurt
Old 07-30-2007, 09:06 PM
Teching In

Great, thanks. Just got the car and the fluid probably hasnt been changed in a while anyways....Did see the fuel gauge move pretty fast at the time though