Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So Tranny Taking A Poop?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So Tranny Taking A Poop?

heres what she does...she wont downshift on heavy throttle not WOT. but just rapid acceleration...not all the time..just sometimes...at and now at WOT tranny seems to be slipping but only in D...when i roll race i try to leave it in D...but last nite bolt on vettes, and camaros were pulling on me in D...so i started shifting manually, and they could no longer pull on me..i would beat all of them car dosnt have a stall yet.. i was going to put my stall, and cooler in this weekend..but last nite it started slipping so im wondering if i should or not... im also thinkin bout servicin it again once the stall is in... its a 3500 stall and a b&m cooler..i think its the 24k one... what would you guys do? i dont wanna put awhole lot of money into this tranny..maybe just get it fixed so it dosnt slip anymore..the reason being is i want to either swap to m6 or get a built 4l80e...witch is alil pricey but i hear is worth it... i cant go 3speed cuz car is DD..and even if it wasnt the car would still be a weekend warrior...and would see the freeway..so what do you guys think, suggest, oppinions? let me kno!

all help and oppions are greatly appreciated!
Old 07-31-2007, 02:49 PM
12 Second Club

i would leave it as it is. if its allready slipping i suggest waiting till you get a trans that doesnt slip.
do add the cooler now though. that cant hurt anything-can only help
Old 07-31-2007, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

probably 3-4 pack
Old 07-31-2007, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99DWPTA
i would leave it as it is. if its allready slipping i suggest waiting till you get a trans that doesnt slip.
do add the cooler now though. that cant hurt anything-can only help

yea..thats what i was going to do..i think it will help the slipping cuz it seems to do it most when warm, or i have been running it kinda hard...

the only reason im thinkin hard bout the stall is..i made the mistake of camming my car before stalling it... so yea i get the whole pushing though breaks thing...get annoying.

Originally Posted by Sweet71
probably 3-4 pack
im kinda lost on that one
Old 07-31-2007, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry i meant to say that it is probably the 3-4 clutch pack slipping
Old 07-31-2007, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sweet71
Sorry i meant to say that it is probably the 3-4 clutch pack slipping
you dont think its from 3-2 to? cuz when you punch it from a roll it downshifts two second...and thats where it was slipping... i think the 3-4 could be going out aswell..cuz it does feel like its kinda slipping driving normal from a stop... are clutches expensive to have a shop change? myswell get the corvette servo and stuff
Old 07-31-2007, 06:20 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How does it feel on moderate acceleration from a stop? Does it have all of the forwrd gears in sequence? And do the shifts feel consistant?

What is the fluid condition? Is it full, does it smell burnt?

How does Lock Up feel?

The key here is going to be the fluid condition...

Chances are good that your car already has the Corvette servo.

Get back to us.

g
Old 07-31-2007, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

when i havnt been getting on the car hard..it will shift fine..all the gears... up and down...but lets say im going 25 mph..and i want to give it alil heavier gas to speed up... it will like act weird and seems like it will try to down shift to D, but then shift back into OD...if i put it in D...wit will shift down to D fine and im abel to accelerate quicker without that lil problem..and then i just put it in OD when im guna cruise. if im at a stop and want to take off fast in OD... not WOT but moderate it will do that wierd shifting thing... and thats when i drop it into D so that it will stop doing it, and just go...

last time i smelled the fluid it smelled fine, and was redish i think.. i will check it again as soon as i get off work. i put redline oil in it about a year ago. maybe alil less. lock up is fine... the real thing i noticed last nite was the slipping when punching it in D.

and i greatly appreciate all the help!

thanks alot!
Old 07-31-2007, 06:46 PM
FormerVendor

MIL lamp on? Any DTC's?

I suspect the TPS is the culprit. It is possible that the converter is staying locked up because of a TPS error or maybe the MAF as well.

I recommend getting a scanner on it asap and watching the indicators. It could well be slipping, but does not sound like it because ordinarilly transmissions do not slip intermittantly for very long before damage is done and they slip continuosly.

Check the fluid and call me. I'll be here another hour or so and will be in by around 8:30am tomorrow.

g
Old 07-31-2007, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
MIL lamp on? Any DTC's?

I suspect the TPS is the culprit. It is possible that the converter is staying locked up because of a TPS error or maybe the MAF as well.

I recommend getting a scanner on it asap and watching the indicators. It could well be slipping, but does not sound like it because ordinarilly transmissions do not slip intermittantly for very long before damage is done and they slip continuosly. i was going to clean my MAF yesterday but im out of the cleaner stuff... i need to pick up some more... it could be dirty..i drove all the way from texas to cali. and havnt cleaned it yet.

Check the fluid and call me. I'll be here another hour or so and will be in by around 8:30am tomorrow.

g
what is the MIL lamp or DTCs?

there are times that my SES light will come on...and then it will shut off after awhile...also my ABS goes non functional sometimes... if i was still in texas id beable to get a scanner fast...but here its kinda hard..i will as soon as i can though. and i will check the fluid in a few minutes and give you a call.. one more thing...what is TPS?

thanks bro for all the help!
Old 07-31-2007, 07:02 PM
FormerVendor

Sorry... MIL = Malfunction Indicator Lamp aka SES light or Check Engine light.
DTC's = Diagnostic Trouble Codes
TPS = Throttle Position Sensor

g
Old 08-01-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

still havnt been able to get the car scanned.

but i checked the fluid, and it seems nice and red..and does not smell burnt. and also does not seem like its missing any oil either.

this morning on the way to work it drove just fine... shifted good, locked up good.. didnt seem to be having any problems..it ussualy seems to have trouble in warmer weather. or like i stated before when i have been driving it hard.

i was thinking bout what was mentioned earlier bout maybe being a problem with lock up... and maybe the problem with lock up is.. under moderate acceleration it has trouble coming outta lock up so that i can speed up? or what could that problem that im having be? also with the tranny feeling like its slipping bad when i hammer the gas from a slow roll in D. ive only had it happen a few times...but its doing it more often.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:06 AM
FormerVendor

I am not at all sure your tranny is slipping. It could be of course. But the fluid is the 1st indicator of failed or failing clutches. If you can hammer down in manual low and manually shift it out and all of the shifts are firm it is not slipping. I am going to stick with my comments about having it scanned by a professional.

Yes, it is highly possible that under moderate acceleration your TCC is not releasing. That is why I mentioned the TPS previously.

g
Old 08-01-2007, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
I am not at all sure your tranny is slipping. It could be of course. But the fluid is the 1st indicator of failed or failing clutches. If you can hammer down in manual low and manually shift it out and all of the shifts are firm it is not slipping. I am going to stick with my comments about having it scanned by a professional.

Yes, it is highly possible that under moderate acceleration your TCC is not releasing. That is why I mentioned the TPS previously.

g
thanks gilbert!

if it were the TPS.. what codes will come up? and is that expensive to change out?