Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

someone please chime in and help

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lightbulb someone please chime in and help

just did my th400 swap and seems like everything was done correctly but now after starting the car there is a big rattling sound/ klacking comming from the converther flexplate area, only makes the sound on low rpm's when you give it a rev the sound stops. i looked behing the converter at the flex plate bolt and it looks to me that one backed out a little maybe a 1/16". and when i turn the crank with a socket wrench quick i can hear the klacking sound. anyone that can chime in and help that would be great
BTW i have a rossler 400 with tbrake neal chance converter tci flexplate and madman dipstick
thanks in advance
Rich
Old 08-06-2007, 06:23 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like all the bolts are loose to the tq converter to flywheel or you have cracked the flywheel
Old 08-06-2007, 09:40 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure that the Torque Converter to flexplate bolts are not too long and make sure you use a threadlocker on the bolts.

g
Old 08-07-2007, 08:01 AM

figured it out the flex plate bolts are loose i tightned them up and noise stopped.
next question can i unbolt the converter slide it into the trans and pull the flexplate bolts inorder to put locktight on the bolts, will there be enough room to pull the flex bolt out
Old 08-07-2007, 09:07 AM
FormerVendor

Just remove the starter and gain access from that area. Rotate the engine by hand, remove the bolts one by one and you'll be finished in no time.

g
Old 08-07-2007, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
Just remove the starter and gain access from that area. Rotate the engine by hand, remove the bolts one by one and you'll be finished in no time.

g

what i meant to say is if i unbolt the converter push it forward to the trani will that give me enough space to back out the flexplate bolts enough to put lock tight on them?
Old 08-07-2007, 01:00 PM
FormerVendor

As in just back the bolts out, leaving them in the converter and then placing the threadlocker on them?

Why not just remove them one by one, put the threadlocker on the bolt you have out, reinstall it, rotate the gning and repeat...and be done with it.... don't overthink it!

g
Old 08-07-2007, 04:19 PM

its not the converter bolts i am worried about its the flexplate bolts (bolts that fasten the flexplate to the block) the bolts backed out and i re tightened them but i am worried they will back out without putting lock tite on them. with that being said will there be enough room if i unbolt the converter slide it back into the trans to remove the bolts holding the flex plate to the block to apply lock tite?
ps i am not worried about the bolts holding the converter to the flexplate. i am worried about the bolts holding the flexplate to the block
thanks rich
Old 08-07-2007, 04:47 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will have to remove the trans or at least the bolts for the trans in order to slide it back enough to remove the flex plate. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Vince

Last edited by FLT; 08-07-2007 at 10:27 PM. Reason: TYPO