Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Tailshaft/yoke problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 10:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default HELP! Tailshaft/yoke problem?

I just took the car for a drive, and when I got back realized that there was a large (18" diameter or bigger) tranny fluid spot on the driveway where it had been sitting. I looked under the car and can see fluid on the crossmember. I don't have my jack since I just moved and haven't brought all my tools yet, so I can't get under to look well. Even then I don't know what I think I'd do about it. But I'm wondering what it could be letting fluid leak from my tailshaft.

Note: car has 4L80e with slip yoke that I had to trim... spines on tailshaft only go about 1/2 way then there's a metal ridge. I never found an explanation of how to trim it to fit, or how to measure it to fit. I think we have it right, but I recently installed a 9" and that could've changed something since it actually sat the rear end pinion yoke farther from the tranny by about 3mm. Could the tranny leak from the rear tailshaft housing if the yoke isn't fitting well? Is there some seal there? HELP! I hate having this killer, expensive tranny and converter and could accidentally burn it up.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

there is a seal on the end of the tailshaft. if the rubber tears it will leak.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:57 AM
10 Second Club

This may be worse than I thought. I have to go get my jack and jackstands. Now that the car has been sitting, it looks like the fluid on the crossmember was probably blown back there. I think it's coming from the front. There's a spot up there now. Gotta jack it up and see.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:07 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Since you just changed the converter I would imagine its going to be a front seal

Call 888-744-6542