Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4STB OD Tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 01:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4STB OD Tranny?

Has anyone used one of these (4TSB)? I was getting ready to purchase a 4L80E but just recently heard of this Ford based trans from FB Performance. It's a 3 speed auto with a transbrake & an electric overdrive. They claim it has been used in 3500 lb cars with over 1000 HP with no problems. It also has interchangable bellhousings to fit different motors. Almost sounds too good to be true! Any comparisons to a 4L80E? Is the 4STB just as good?
Attached Thumbnails 4STB OD Tranny?-4stb.jpg  
Old 08-08-2007, 09:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's a Ford AOD with the bellhousing cut off and replaced with a Chevy bellhousing. They are using AOD's and AODE's in high horsepower Mustang Cobras with turbos with great success. I have no personal experience with them but from what I've read/heard they are a solid unit. I'm not sure of an exact price but last time I checked I remember them being pretty expensive. I wonder what the cost difference between one of them and a 4L80E is once you factor in all the other stuff like converter, crossmember, shifter, driveshaft....etc.? Interesting alternative though.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:43 AM
Teching In

Question

I was only wondering about the real durability of one of these "4STB" transmissions. All the "extras" will be similar in price when using a 4L80 trans. Both transmissions will require extra $$$ for converter, crossmember, shifter, driveshaft, etc.

There might be a bonus with using the "4STB" trans. It's OD is engaged via electric switch unlike a 4L80 that needs to be manually shifted into OD. This could mean more shifter choices (3 spd vs. 4 spd) And this FB Performance is only a 20 minute drive from my house! That would save a bit on shipping!

It would make me feel a little better if I knew some guys were actually using one of these 4STB units. I don't want to waste time fabbing crossmembers for some over rated transmission!

Quick Reply: 4STB OD Tranny?