Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60E No 3rd and 4th gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 10:42 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am very confident without question the OP's unit has burned clutches.

By unplugging your transmissions electrical connector you are defeating many electrical functions. I personally would not recommend that to my customers. Difference of opinion here thats all. And what these guys are failing to recommend to the guys they have do this operation is to disconnect the battery immdiately after the test... other wise your controller will have stored contless DTC's, and then will modify engine and transmission operation based on these codes. The idea of unplugging a transmission is actually not smart in my opinion.... here is why.

Let's say one does unplug their transmission and it does have 3rd gear now what? Plug it back in and drive it, right? Oh yeah, doesn't run right clear the codes by removing the battery terminals. Hmmmm still not fixed.... gues what now, take it to a professional, what does that poor guy get ..... a computer controlled vehicle that has one of two things ..... a list of DTC's that are erroneous or absolutely no useful information. Now, what are the odds that car is going to be diagnosed correctly the 1st time by the professional? Pretty slim right.

Unplugging electrical connectors in the interest of defeating certain functions for a novice or even amateur level is akin to removing EFI and installing a Carubretor just to see if the engine will run after it has died going down the road. WHy go through the trouble... either you can repair the problem correctly or you are going to cost yourself much, much more time and maybe more money in the long run.

We, as example do not charge to put a scanner on a car, read the codes and form an opinion as to what is taking place. Just because a car does not have an active MIL lamp or a stored DTC does not mean a thing to me anymore in todays day and age of there being Tuning software on every streetcorner in the country. Who's to say the MIL lamp wasn't turned off because a Tuner couldn't figure something out, and the car owner was clueless? The problem would never have been found! Been there and seen that before! It happens.

All I am saying here is you have to be smarter than what you are fooling with and in this scenario I disagree with unplugging the transmission and subsequently running it in order to determine it's integrity.

g
Old 08-19-2007, 11:43 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ratcheted, I somewhat agree with your statement from being at a dealership however this is just one way we can try to rule out a tranny problem from 1000s of mile away most of these customers think that the tranny should work regardless of any other issues they have and do not want to pay to have thier car properly diagnosed and then that sticks us right there in the middle and this is the only cost free way to really get a feel for what is going on when no other method will work kinda sucks for the customer and us to have a trans shipped back only to find there was nothing wrong with it and the car has an issue this is the downfall of selling major components over the internet is hands on and eyes on
another thing we use this as last resort when all codes have been run or the customer has no acess to a scanner
Free Cooler, Free shipping always, 2 year warranty Trans/Coverter combos, No Core or Core charge, $150 LS1 core buy back, All trans Dyno Tested to Be sure it works when you get it.Customer videos, Tech Thread, Open 7 Days a Week! Call or http://opi.yahoo.com/online?u=performabuilt&m=g&t=2Click Banner for Website.
Not Just Built.....PerformaBuilt!

Last edited by performabuilt2; 08-20-2007 at 12:49 AM.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:17 AM
FormerVendor

ratcheted,
It's Ratchthed. But if that is too hard for you to get right, just use g. It's ok.

I somewhat agree with your statement from being at a dealership
If you spent any time at a new car dealership then you will know the value of doing the job right the 1st time. You would know how much a correct diagnosis would be in that situation, how critical it would be to getting the vehicle repaired and maintaing a high customer satisfaction rating.

however this is just one way we can try to rule out a tranny problem from 1000s of mile away most of these customers think that the tranny should work
Oh, was one of the posters in this thread a customer of yours? Didn't know that as it was not clearly stated.

I think those are reasonable expectations after paying lots of hard earned money, don't you?

and do not want to pay to have thier car properly diagnosed and then that sticks us right there in the middle and this is the only cost free way to really get a feel for what is going on when no other method will work kinda sucks for the customer and us to have a trans shipped back only to find there was nothing wrong with it and the car has an issue this is the downfall of selling major components over the internet is hands on and eyes on
Really?

another thing we use this as last resort when all codes have been run or the customer has no acess to a scanner
Really? I am beginning to get a better picture now, thanks for clearing all that up for me.

g
Old 08-20-2007, 12:36 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Oh, was one of the posters in this thread a customer of yours? Didn't know that as it was not clearly stated.

I think those are reasonable expectations after paying lots of hard earned money, don't you?

yes I do, However we are not there to see what is wrong with the original tranny and some customers just go off someone elses belief that they have a bad tranny and do not get it properly diagnosed before buying a new one and there you go a problem and this is just a little TEST that we can say OK you need to take your car in to have it checked out OR we need to send you another tranny and Gilbert you know what I meant was that when a customer installs a trans and theres and issue that many times the issue may not be with the trans.There are many many outside causes for a trans to function incorrectly , Particularly as you say now with a tuner on every street."
Free Cooler, Free shipping always, 2 year warranty Trans/Coverter combos, No Core or Core charge, $150 LS1 core buy back, All trans Dyno Tested to Be sure it works when you get it.Customer videos, Tech Thread, Open 7 Days a Week! Call or http://opi.yahoo.com/online?u=performabuilt&m=g&t=2Click Banner for Website.

Last edited by performabuilt2; 08-20-2007 at 12:54 AM.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:47 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

[QUOTE=Ratchthed]It's Ratchthed. But if that is too hard for you to get right, just use g. It's ok.

I Like G I wil use that since I cant get the misspelled Ratchethead right

Old 08-20-2007, 12:59 AM
FormerVendor

yes I do however we are not there to see what is wrong with the original tranny and some customers just go off someone eleses belief that they have a bad tranny and do not get it properly diagnosed before buying a new one
I see.

So don't you think it would be a good idea to ask those customers why they think they need a transmission in the first place, rather than selling one and then finding out the car has issues?

and there you go a problem and this is just a little way that we can say OK you need to take your car in to have it checked out OR we need to send you another tranny and Gilbert you know what I meant was that when a customer installs a trans and theres and issue that many times the issue may not be with the trans.
I'm not sure what you are saying here.... do you have problems with units you sell that do not work when they are first installed? Or do they develop symptoms afterwords.

I ask this because I have not experienced the problems you apparently are... I don't push sales like you boys do either. But, what I do is get it right the 1st time as often as possible so that I do not have the difficulties you are describing. I do not sell a transmission unless I understand exactly why I am selling it to my new customer. Some companies do the research and determine what it takes to take these units to a whole different level. It is not easy. It is not as simple as slapping a few brand named parts together as some would have other to believe.

There are many many outside causes for a trans to function incorrectly , Particularly as you say now with a tuner on every street."
And this is why we understand what we are doing each and every time before we sell a custom transmission.

Good Luck with those "little backyard quik test(s)". I hope they serve you well in the future.

g
Old 08-20-2007, 01:00 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by performabuilt2

I Like G I wil use that since I cant get the misspelled Ratchethead right
Now why would you go and say a thing like that?

g
Old 08-20-2007, 01:12 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Gilbert, you are really being ascenine tonight and you know what is being said in all my posts and you are trying to turn them around and make it look like I am an idiot. Everything I have talked about is just trying to find out if the customer has a problem other than the transmission when nothing else makes sense. I do not have a wireless scanner that I can hook up to the PCM on a customers car and try to diagnose the problem Do you? all I can do is just try my best to help the customer in any way that I can without them having to spend more money....G your time will come!

Old 08-20-2007, 01:33 AM
FormerVendor

Gilbert, you are really being ascenine tonight and you know what is being said in all my posts and you are trying to turn them around and make it look like I am an idiot. Everything I have talked about is just trying to find out if the customer has a problem other than the transmission when nothing else makes sense.
Wow, that was unexpected. Not sure what "ascenine" is, but if you mean like am I being rude or mean. Nope. Just trying to have a conversation. The written word over the internet can be interpreted many ways. Didn't mean to wind you up. Why the change of attitude?

Just like I said in the very beginning, "just a difference of opinions". You have your way of doing things and I mentioned mine. Relax. What does not make sense to some makes perfect sense to others, have seen it for years and you have too.

Certainly we are after the exact same thing here, but I am afraid it is because of different reasons with different motivating factors. I hope I am wrong. I do.

I do not have a wireless scanner that I can hook up to the PCM on a customers car and try to diagnose the problem Do you? all I can do is just try my best to help the customer in any way that I can without them having to spend more money
No I do not have a wireless scanner, and you know I don't. Please stay on topic.

Here is how I avoid some of the issues you talked about previously. It is not rocket science and it is not particularly difficult either. I know what I am getting into, my customers know what they are getting into and my people know what they are getting into long before we sell a transmission... we may know weeks in advance of a pending sale because we have been helping someone through the diagnosis. I would like to think it is no different for others like yourself. For us, the sale is the culmination of a series of events... not just a swap of money for goods. With the intention of making something good when there is a problem, the goal is to not have a problem in the first place. To have a product that will stand the test each time, not sometimes.

....G your time will come!
What in the hell is that supposed to mean? Tell me that is not a threat of any sort?

g
Old 08-20-2007, 01:54 AM
FormerVendor

[QUOTE=performabuilt2]all I can do is just try my best to help the customer in any way that I can without them having to spend more money....QUOTE]

I certainly understand the concern of saving monies for the customer while preserving revenue for the company. And I applaud you and your staff.

But,is it not providing a disservice if the consumer has a problem they cannot have a reasonable understanding of without a scanning device? Point being, wouldn't it be better to determine by use of the proper tools and diagnostic techniques the specific failed component or assembly before the customer spends an inordinate amount of time only to go have it diagnosed by a professional. And by doing that the customer will spend less time, less money and less downtime with the automobile... it is a proven fact.

Now that's talking for some of the enthusiasts out there, guys who can handle their own diagnosis, but I am certain I am right in many cases. Other guys simply want to learn for themselves, and yet others are studying to become professionals themselves.

I want to make sure that when we practicing professionals offer advice here, the enthusiasts here know that there are other ways of getting to the diagnosis.

I don't think that makes me "ascenine".

g
Old 08-20-2007, 02:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Alright, enough has been said between sponsors and should be taken up elsewhere as it is not helping the customer with the problem. Yes, some of it is good but I don't see it gaining a resolution specific to the customer.

Lets keep on topic:
A couple of months ago my car stopped shifting into 3rd or 4th. Up until then i had never had ANY problems with the tranny. No slippage what so ever. I came home from work, still with no problem, stopped the motor there for aprox 10 mins and after i started it up again it wouldnt shift anymore. The tranny had quite a few miles on it already and everybody kept telling me it was the clutch pack, so i didnt think twice about ordering a new one from PerformaBuilt. I installed the new tranny, hoping my problem would be solved, but the new tranny did the EXACT same thing.

tranny shift fine first 2 gears but when it tries to shift into 3rd it just lets go and the engine revs freely. hooked up a snap on scanner and everything looks ok. The scanner indicates that the solenoids are switching, but the tranny doesnt shift.

So.. anybody got any suggestions? Thanks in advence

My car is a 94 LT1 with a 4L60E trans and it has a madtuner tune in it. Hope this helps.
If you can, take it to a mechanic with full software to run a good scan on it. If you don't have anyone local to you, there are sponsors that do mail order scans and can give you a data logging as to what the problem may be.

If nothing turns up on the scan and or possible tune it may need to run gears and shift points properly, it would be wise to take it to a certified transmission shop that can do a little troubleshooting without tearing the tranny out. Shop around, some trans shops are much better at a minimalistic diagnosis than others, usually fees are less than a huge chain type business.

If it does come to having to pull the tranny to properly diagnose your problem, contact the original company you purchased from to make sure there is no void of warranty. Discuss any and all associated fees up front before the bellhousing is dropped.

Good luck, lets hope you can get up and running asap.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:43 AM
TECH Regular

^^^ I agree with the above, you to need to take it to PM. 1st this is a Performabuilt cust, so let them deal with it. 2nd not all people buy a trans cause there are problems with it. Some like me had pulled the motor and wanted to upgrade since it was out and had down time. 3rd if you dont like what they are doing start your own post dont Hijack this thread.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:25 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

I do not believe Ratchthed Hijacked anything here. I hope I spelled that correctly G. First off he posted in a thread that a member was having problems. This is a tech forum. Second everyone has their right to post here when decent advise is offered. Keep in mind this is an open forum that trans tech advise is posted. Third no where did the original poster say that it was a PB unit that was having problems. Read post #24 Gilbert was only adding his advise to the table here and if in fact this unit came from the competition, then they should take care of this through Pm's or telephone conversation. If that has not been working then the member has every right to do just what he did by starting a thread. The ls1tech member did not come on her to bash PB nor did he even mention it was their unit. I believe Robert would agree that customer etiquette was used here in a very professional manor. It appears that Robert took offence to Gilbert even posting here because their product was in question. Never the less get it fixed and move on. Vince
Old 08-20-2007, 08:26 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

[ The tranny had quite a few miles on it already and everybody kept telling me it was the clutch pack, so i didnt think twice about ordering a new one from PerformaBuilt. I installed the new tranny, hoping my problem would be solved, but the new tranny did the EXACT same thing.

looks to me he did post about what tranny he has and yes he did do it professionally

I did not take offense to G posting here until last night I actually had the upmost respect for him I had even referred work to him from other sites that were in his general area. However I made the post saying why I agreed and disagreed by what he said and he picked my post apart and tried to make me look like I was saying something completley different than what I was trying to accomplish that was just plain rude.

G there was no threat there you have just became a sponsor here and havnt sold many units you will have your rainy day just as we have had and vince has had I have been a mamber herre since 2003 so i have seen all the rainy days and it comes it always will and then you will be the one on the other end of this and I will be watching but you will never hear me try to capitalize off of your mishaps

Old 08-20-2007, 09:32 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by performabuilt2
looks to me he did post about what tranny he has
I did miss that. I apoligize. And for what you say about rainy days. It does happen but for me since FLT has been open (I did not work for FLP) I have had very few issues that I have read on the boards and even had calls that were not my problem. We fix it and move on. The reason being....well I'm not going to get into that because I know what we do here and that will not change. I answer all pm's and phone calls that are for me, asap and get it taken care of. I suggest this advise to anyone in this situation. Return your calls and this kind of stuff does not happen. This thread needs to go back on topic. Vince
Old 08-20-2007, 10:08 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

First I agree this thread took a wrong turn some where and actually the Original poster is indeed our customer. And we are working diligently with him to solve this issue , We sell many units this is true and from time to time and issue will pop up as it will with anyones units, Most of the time they are indeed none transmission issues, While I do and as many will attest go to great efforts to diagnos the purchasers original trans problem before the sale there are times that it can be dificult over the phone and since you can just order diectly off the site then sometimes that opuritunity doesnt come up, Also a vast majority of our customers do not have a trans problem at all. They just order as and upgrade. Man times in conjunction with several other upgrades at the same time which in and of it self can lead to issues to be solved. We have had customers with everything from wires pinched in bell housing to cam and heads installations causing tuning issues leading to quick shifts, no shifts, hard shifts/soft shifts that had to be worked through.But we are always there to help do just that work through them.

However considering our volume typically 10 units or more a week I think we have very few real problems come up and just to be clear real problems are actually problems with our units. Though we are constantly making improvements to reduce even those as we run into them. Thus the reason for testing the trans in a car.to at least eliminate issues that can be detected at that level we also do presure test during these test and check all trans functions.

I do agree the disassembly of he wording of my less expereinced counterpart was unessesary perhaps he didnt chose his words exactly correct or the arrangement of his sentences but his point was there. I do see this alot with sponsors at least in the trans forums I visit and there are many. At the same time I have run into several most of which are not sponsors here but are in other forums who are very polite and helpfull even as I am to everyone reguardless if they are to us. Personally I do think after the first few post it was obvious that ths customer was ours reading over all the post but it wasnt made clear at the beginng and anyone was welcome to reply and I have no issue with that. I do have issue with what looks o me like and attemp to make another posters atempts at help even if someone was not aware of that look silly or bad. Which is what I have seen here this morning when I woke up.
We will take care of the OP as he is referred to as he is our customer and that is our job. However I do wish and I think it would be best for the forums to keep them more informative if we all stick to bussiness and avoid little spats over trivial points. Personally at perforabuilt and this rule was set up by me and followed by me we.
1-Never put down any other vendor in any forum public or private.
2-Never post in a thread concerning another vendors product unless we feel we can offer some helpfull advice. Or in some way serve them and or there customer in a good way.
3-Always be curteous and helpfull to anyone who needs it reguardless of who they may have purchased from, In fact I have spent hours doing just that with other vendors products during the late night an weekends when they may not have been available.

As for our PMs we always answer but at times they do fill up as they did this weekend not on roberts but on mine as I was traveling at the time and I get many many PMs and the box is sometimes just to small (hint administrators lol) Same thing with the phone sometimes more calls come in than I may be able to handle and I have to call people back ASAP. Or as again this weekend I may be out of touch for a while we do offer customer support 16+ hours a day after all so I basically live my life with the phone and PC attatched at the hip. But I do enjoy what I do so do not mind.

To me these seem like good professional rules of thumb to follow and so we do.
But again this is not what the OP wanted and in fact I need to get off here and give him a call.

Thanks and thats really all I have to say on the matter, Lets just all get along.
Frank at PerformaBuilt

Call 888-744-6542

Last edited by performabuilt; 08-20-2007 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:21 AM
FormerVendor

Well. Just to clear up any misunderstanding, since there appears to be some animosity.... just as I stated in previous comments gang, there are many ways of going about a diagnosis, there are many different opinions as well, I was merely offering sound advice on how to go about a diagnosis on a difficult problem... nothing more nothing less. No worries!

My goal is not to promote sales in this thread, nor is it my goal to sway anyones opinion about who's unit to run,,,, it's all about having fun, all of us getting better as techs and enthusiasts and learning!

Have a good day!

g
Old 08-22-2007, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

I had the same problem when I first installed my trans. it would shift to second. The trans builder forgot to install the reluctor ring on the tail shaft. If you pull the sensor off get a flashlight and look to see if you see what will look like gear teeth. It sucked that I had to pull the tailshaft off to install it but it was an easy fix.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:15 PM
TECH Resident

I know this thread is very old but what was the outcome after the sponsors pissing match was over? What was the OP's issue in the end? I'm asking because mine just started with the same issue. It has only 62k on it and the trans fluid looks like new no sign of burnt fluid. It is in a conversion car but is a bone stock 2002. I have yet to scan it for codes but plan to before I do anything else. Heck I already Emailed Frank inquiring about a new trans and torque converter but then ran across this thread and realized I might not need a major rebuild after all. ACE is local to me I have not contacted him but was also considering them as an option after researching this topic. I would like to just fix mine if it can be done without pulling the trans. If it is something that requires the trans to be pulled even if a simple fix I am going to purchase an upgraded one or spend the extra doe and upgrade the one I have while it is out.
Thanks in advance
Rocky
Old 03-05-2013, 07:55 PM

Received 424 Likes on 323 Posts

Rockytopper, I would suggest starting a new thread as this one is over 5 years old.
The OP had an unusual issue and I doubt yours is "the same issue". Start a new thread and explain exactly what is going on; it helps to describe what is going on with the shifter in different positions and different throttle levels.

Quick Reply: 4l60E No 3rd and 4th gear