Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

please help, 3rd and 4th keep slipping

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 11:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help, 3rd and 4th keep slipping

I've gone through about 4 trannies in the last year and I'm getting pretty ****ing tired of having to replace them. I'm begging for any help you guys can offer. Right now I can't afford to keep buying new trannies I'm only 19, and I would feel pretty terrible if I sold this lemon to someone else (and I do need to sell the car asap.)

So it started happening at 55,000 the car is practically stock. There are only 3 things I can think of that may be causing it.

First: My brother routinely drops the gear selector into 1 for roll races. The car is much faster when it doesn't have to downshift, but I think it may be killing the transmissions. Only thing is, why would that only be affecting 3rd and 4th gear, in stead of first or second?

Second: The car was involved in a wreck. The body looks pretty straight for whatever thats worth, and any frame damage that could have occured must have been minimal. Can the slight off balance cause the clutches in the tranny to burn themselves up? Well, I didn't think so but I'm still entertaining the possiblity.

Third: My brother never really waits too long to break in the trannies. I can see how that may have caused the 2nd and 3rd tranny to break, but the first one was in there for 55,000 miles.

I tried to provide as much info as possible. Please help!!!! I'm getting desperate.

Edit: one more thing, all these trannies were replaced by the same mechanic. The 2nd tranny was pulled from another f-body. And the 3rd was the rebuilt stock one. I don't know about the fourth.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:03 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Roll racing can be very hard on these transmissions. The reason is because of the manual downshift and the manual up-shifts. Another problem that I see is the 98 computers have issues because they are on the slow side compared to the later computers. This may be the reason that you seem to have to manually downshift the trans in order to get it to preform. My advise is to get a good transmission in there and not to let your brother drive it anymore. Go to someone that specializes in this trans not just a guy that can build one. There are many reasons that cause a 3-4 clutch failure. I do know that you said you are on a budget. Sorry to say, If you can't afford it then you need to park it. That is just reality. Vince
Old 09-04-2007, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, the upshifts aren't done manually. Typically we'd be rolling along in 4th and the gear selector is pulled down to 1 to race. Do you think it's the downshifting thats burning the 3-4 clutch? When the trans actually started slipping it was after a race with no downshifting.

Another thing, is there any possibility that the frame damage is causing it, this is especially important to me because my brother has paid for most of the broken trannies (he's been the only one driving it lately) and I want to know if my accident is causing all these trannies to break.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:16 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

No the frame damage would not kill the 3-4 clutch. However racing alot and roll racing is very hard on any trans and a stock unit or a junkyard unit is not going to handle it long, It isnt your brothers fault they are dying if you know that what he and your self use the car for, Its the inapropriate choice in how to fix it. If your going to keep the car get a built trans and you will be fine.

Call 888-744-6542