Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E affects engine, speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E affects engine, speedometer

I recently rebuilt the 4l60E in my 1997 Chevy Express. Everything went great - except when I get above 65 MPH and accelerate, the speedometer goes the wrong way and the engine will start being erratic (speed variations, missing?). If I try to accelerate faster than normal, the engine will pulsate with great speed changes. I can be over 80 MPH and still reporting less than 65 during these episodes. If I start coasting, the engine settles out and the speedometer tells me how fast I am really going. What gives?
Old 09-07-2007, 08:04 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Due to the fact that you are having issues reading the speedometer, I would recommend looking at the speed sensor in the tail housing. Make sure that it did not get damaged and also check the wiring there as well. It is common to see a problem there after removing and reinstalling a transmission. If everything appears ok try to tighten up the terminals on the connector. If that does not help you could replace the sensor and the pig tail. Also make sure that the wiring that heads towards the engine bay did not get damaged during the RNR. An example would be the wires stuck in between the bell housing and the engine. Good luck. Vince
Old 09-07-2007, 08:27 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

You also may want to check all grounds to engine and frame since the engine running is acting strange also sounds like you may have failed to reconnect one or torn one loose/

Call 888-744-6542