Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solenoid Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 09:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solenoid Problems

Last week my car quit locking up and threw a po1860 code. I have a 3600 stall but my car has been tuned for it and have never had a problem with it locking up. The transmission shifted fine so I thought that the lockup clutch in the transmission was bad so I put the stock converter in it yesterday.
I drove it around and it still would not lock up and now I am getting four codes;
po758:3-4 shift solenoid b
po753:1-2 shift solenoid a
po740:tcc solenoid
po1860:pwm solenoid

What could cause all these solenoid codes? I am thinking about just buying all new solenoids and seeing if it fixes it. The car still shifts fine so I hope that the transmission does not need rebuilt, but it will not lock up. I made sure that the electrical connections were fine, I am not sure what else to do but replace the solenoids. Any help?
Old 10-15-2007, 10:09 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think that all 4 solenoids failing at the same time is not likely. Check all the fuses, check the electrical connector at the trans. Check the grounds at the back of the cylinder heads.

Clear the codes, drive it and tell us what happens. See if those same codes are still present or come back.

g
Old 10-15-2007, 10:49 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah, i thought it was weird that they all went off. They did not all go off at the same time though. Each time I drove the car allowing it to warm up so I could fill it up with fluid another code would go off. Could the wires for the 20 pin connector have gotten pinched when I was removing and installing the transmission? I did not have that many codes thrown before I changed the converter. I will have to reinspect the connector, if it is damaged, can I purchase another one, part number?
Old 10-15-2007, 11:04 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Check the harness as mentioned and unplug and plug back in the harness conector make sure it fully inserted. I have alot of people call with multiple codes and many times the conector is just not plugged all the way in

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-15-2007, 11:07 AM
12 Second Club

im at work now, but I will check it after work tonight, hopefully it is just a bad connection.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Same happened to me..changed solonoids 3 times..finally deleted the trans codes.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:50 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by omcar
Same happened to me..changed solonoids 3 times..finally deleted the trans codes.
which solenoids did you change? did you have any of the codes that I mentioned above? does it drive fine now? I have to do something because right now it will not lock up.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:33 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would recommend that you have it looked at by a professional before going out a buying a handfull of parts and installing them... it could easily be worth the time and trouble!

g
Old 10-15-2007, 07:53 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I agree with Gilbert I definatley would not go throwing solenoids at it when there are multiple codes And deleting the codes is not the answer either some yes like PO757 if it becomes and issue but right now with that many codes you have and electrical issue you need to solve first.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-15-2007, 09:15 PM
12 Second Club

well I got lucky, I looked at the transmission and somehow the 20 pin connector came loose when driving so I plugged it in and it drove normal again. It was shifting great and locked up. Thanks for all the help. I have no clue how the connector came loose, I made sure that I plugged it in, but maybe it wasn't all the way in or something. Anyway I'm glad that I don't to buy a bunch of solenoids. I can't believe that the transmission would work without that connector in there. Crazy stuff, but at least its working now.
I am pretty sure that my fuddle lost its lock up clutch, there is a discolored ring around the side that facing the engine. I am sending it to fuddle tomorrow to get it checked out. It is nice to have the transmission working properly again, but I miss my 3600 stall.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:39 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Glad you found it and yes on the converter, Next time you put the other converter back in replace the oring on the end of the input shaft and raise the duty cycle of the tcc in tuning should help.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-15-2007, 10:08 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tbick
well I got lucky, I looked at the transmission and somehow the 20 pin connector came loose when driving so I plugged it in and it drove normal again. It was shifting great and locked up. Thanks for all the help. I have no clue how the connector came loose, I made sure that I plugged it in, but maybe it wasn't all the way in or something. Anyway I'm glad that I don't to buy a bunch of solenoids. I can't believe that the transmission would work without that connector in there. Crazy stuff, but at least its working now.
I am pretty sure that my fuddle lost its lock up clutch, there is a discolored ring around the side that facing the engine. I am sending it to fuddle tomorrow to get it checked out. It is nice to have the transmission working properly again, but I miss my 3600 stall.
Man I bet you made a call today trying to buy these parts and the guy talked you out of it. Those connectors need to be snapped down I've seen it more than once. Glad you got it fixed for free like I said you probably did not need to throw any parts at it. I guess I was right about the converter to. If you need anything in the future just call or shoot me a PM. Vince
Old 10-15-2007, 11:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
Man I bet you made a call today trying to buy these parts and the guy talked you out of it. Those connectors need to be snapped down I've seen it more than once. Glad you got it fixed for free like I said you probably did not need to throw any parts at it. I guess I was right about the converter to. If you need anything in the future just call or shoot me a PM. Vince
Yeah, thanks Vince, that was me that called you earlier today. I was ready to buy the solenoids when I called you today and am glad that you talked me out of it. You were right about the converter too. I thought that the entire side facing the engine was supposed to be discolored but after you told me to look for a ring of discoloration on the outside, i knew the lockup clutch was bad. Thanks again Vince for the help today, the next time I need something for my transmission, I will make sure that you get my business.

Quick Reply: Solenoid Problems