Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCI Converter Failure, questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 05:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default TCI Converter Failure, questions

I installed a TCI SSF3800 in the beginning of February along with a brand new 4L65E out of the GM Performance Parts catalog. It has been a great converter, I picked up .06 in 60' over the Yank ST3800 I had been running but pulled out due to lock-up issues.

Last week while cruising through town, the car lost all gears after shifting into second. I had it towed to the Chevy dealership I work at, and we pulled the tranny out and had a look.

Upon inspection of the converter we discovered that the splines on the input turbine were completely stripped. I have never heard of this happening, but when I called Texas Speed to arrange for a warranty repair, they told me that TCI had recently upgraded this area of their converters. I am going to return it to TCI for repair, but I don't want this to happen again, obviously.

What would cause this to happen?

Has anyone else had this happen?

I wouldn't think it would have anything to do with the 4L65E, but is this a possibilty?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 06-10-2003, 05:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: TCI Converter Failure, questions

I would possible say when the converter was installed it was seated all the way, but really dont think thats what happened. You might have just got a bad converter.Return it for repair, but check the trannyshafts to see if there is anything wrong with,and make sure when you get the new converter , check it on the shaft first to see if its a tight fit.Good luck