FLT takes the wow factor!!! Lot of Pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 11:33 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by heymoej
looks good vince!!!!!! ask me how they work
How do they work? Just kidding good to see your back on the road. See you at the track this year.

Originally Posted by caldercay
FWIW, I sent an email to a local auto repair shop in Houston (well, technically Cypress), TX, asking for an estimate to do the tranny/torque converter swap ... I mentioned I'm getting an FLT and the owner of the shop said, "I've heard FLT makes a great transmission". (http://www.skeetersauto.com/).
Thanks for the reply. We work very hard on our products and this thread shows it in detail. Funny how word of mouth travels but always good to hear feedback from other shops.

Originally Posted by Tiger2o69
wow.. makes me want an flt trans.. too bad im a poor college student.. maybe my junk yard 4l80 will hold up untill i get more money...

awesome looking stuff guys
Tiger I know how it is to be young and broke. Keep your head in your books and the future will be good for you. It has taken me many years to get to where I'm at today. Hard work does pay off! When you are ready we will be here. Vince

Last edited by FLT; 12-27-2008 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:32 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 1FASTZ28
There is some very great information here, I am in need for a new tranny after mine took a crap on me. I have been looking a lot at your site and am sure of who I am going to go with very soon. Just a quick question, do you offer any financing or anything on these transmissions, kinda short on cash right now?
We do not offer a financing program here at FLT. We normally take a deposit and then bill you the balance when the trans is done. If you are short on cash you could make payments until it is paid off and then we will build it for you. There is one other option if you qualify. Contact Young at ByunSpeed. He has a program more along the lines you are looking for. He is one of our vendors and I'm sure he would be willing to work with you if you qualify.

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
Just FYI, Vince only lists about half of what actually goes into these trannies on his website. My jaw dropped when he piled all the new components on the workbench. I was very impressed....you literally get a new tranny when you buy an FLT unit! It's worth saving for.
Thanks Hawk. You are correct on my builds. We do not list everything because some of the stuff are trade secrets. Also this keeps people from being able to duplicate our product. You get the point. Dollar for dollar I guaranty that we spend more money on our units then just about every company out there. I have been inside many competitors units and have yet to see others spend the money we do on our units. Vince
Old 02-07-2008, 07:14 AM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
Thanks Hawk. You are correct on my builds. We do not list everything because some of the stuff are trade secrets. Also this keeps people from being able to duplicate our product. You get the point. Dollar for dollar I guaranty that we spend more money on our units then just about every company out there. I have been inside many competitors units and have yet to see others spend the money we do on our units. Vince
I was amazed at the quality of all of the parts that go into your FLT trans, and all of the small details and handmade custom parts that no one else is using. Obviously they work When you showed me those "other guys" transmissions, you could tell they re-used a lot of parts that were worn pretty bad, and they even charge more. And they do not even include all of the parts you need for a direct swap. No wonder the others have so many problems. I have been beating the **** out of my Lvl 4 FLT 4l60e and it keeps coming back for more.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:57 PM
FormerVendor

Just in case you boys are jonesin' for some real righteous action.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T3b4...p?topic=7953.0

That race was last Sunday. It's at a local track. They did a All Out format and it kicked ***. No T.V. Hollywood BS out there.

The White Stang getting the big air was here last winter for some engine work. He roasted that particular combination on a big shot last fall... he's on a new new combination with new tires leaving on a 35% of 300 shot. That real high drop has cost him $3k in repairs so far.

Lot's of those cars are driven by good friends. You might recognize some of them from videos around the web... races held here and there.

g

Sorry for the Vince... as you were.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:35 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Good to see that the trans I built for the Austin Helli is still running strong. Thanks for the video. Some of those cars should come up for the wheelie contest that we have up here before the snow flies again this fall.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Speedmonster185
That's very impressive guys. I've heard lots of good about you before, and all of that stuff up there looks great. As soon as I need it you will be getting some more business .

I do have 2 questions if you have the time.

What should your level 4 tranny hold for power over a long period of time? Being a college student it would be great if I could go for that one instead of the $600 more level 5. As long as it will support my plans anyway . haha

And secondly, I'm at purdue, so I'm only about an hour and a half or so from you guys. Would it be possible for me to drive up there with my tranny and bring yours back in the bed of my truck to save on the shipping costs?

Thanks guys and I hope to be speaking to you in the future about getting one of your transmissions .

I drove up there from Arkansas and picked mine up. My folks live in Kokomo so it was an excuse to visit them as well. They'll make you feel right at home and give you one hell of a tour. It was awesome...they showed me all the parts that went into my tranny and took apart my old one on the spot to show me what had failed. It was a great experience and one that I'm sure they'll repeat for you.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:43 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Speedmonster185
That's very impressive guys. I've heard lots of good about you before, and all of that stuff up there looks great. As soon as I need it you will be getting some more business .

I do have 2 questions if you have the time.

What should your level 4 tranny hold for power over a long period of time? Being a college student it would be great if I could go for that one instead of the $600 more level 5. As long as it will support my plans anyway . haha

And secondly, I'm at purdue, so I'm only about an hour and a half or so from you guys. Would it be possible for me to drive up there with my tranny and bring yours back in the bed of my truck to save on the shipping costs?

Thanks guys and I hope to be speaking to you in the future about getting one of your transmissions .
We have level 4 units that have been living very well in 600+ rwhp cars. With your current mods I feel that a level 4 is the trans for you. Also if ever needed, you can have your unit freshened up and upgraded as mentioned above. That is the service that we provide to anyone that has one of Chucks or my units even if you did not buy it from us. I have had customers from previous shops that I have worked in follow me here to take advantage of this same offer. Kinda tells you something right there that we will always be there for you. As far as driving up to pick up your new trans, bring it and I will build it! Not a problem we have customers do it all the time. Give us a call when you are ready and thank you for your time. Vince
Old 02-23-2008, 09:35 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Wow.......10,000+ views!! Just had to throw that out there.
And still going strong! I know that I need to post up more info for the thread here. Just have not had the time lately. Sorry. Vince

Originally Posted by Twotonefreak
10,000 plus views! Once again, Chuck and Vince build quality units. I've put about 7k on mine since Oct. and its never missed a beat. Had nothing but great luck with it, and really put it through its paces one sunday at the track Also taken it on four or five 400 mile round trips in that time also.

Also guys, do you offer a trans brake option. I figure I'll pull it and send it to you guys at the end of this year for a refresh and was thinking of adding the brake along with stepping it up a bit as I plan on a new engine combo by then also. Thanks again for such a bulletproof product.
Yes we do offer a brake if you decide to go that route. You let us know when you are ready.

Originally Posted by dshannon
For those of us that don't know as much as you do about transmissions, what are the major differences between the 4l60e, and 4l65e? thanks.
The main difference is the 5 pinion planetaries. The input and output shafts from the factory are supposed to be harder. However I have seen them break just the same as the 60 shafts. That is why we offer a billet output shaft and are making an input shaft. With these parts our level 5 4l65e will be the strongest on the market for what it is.

Originally Posted by waterbug1999
What kind of deal you guys give me on an upgrade to an 80E? The stage V 60E works fine, just thinking ahead. Thanks.
Normally we recommend that you have the unit freshened up and then sell it. Then take that money and apply it to the purchase of your new unit. When you are ready give Chuck or myself a call. Maybe we can offer a discount for a repeat customer. Vince
Old 02-23-2008, 06:50 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

[/B]

Thanks... Ill be calling you guys when the times comes.

Hey, so what are the power levels on the 80Es by the way? Do you think it will handle say, a 408ci and 200-400 shot of N20?
Bring it on. I have built 80's that have supported well over 1000hp in vehicles that weigh much more than your car. We would need to know what kinda power the motor will make off the gas to determine which level would be right for you. As far as hp#'s we do not list them due to the simple fact that these transmission fit various applications. I prefer that we discuss this to decide together which unit will be best for you. Vince
Old 03-01-2008, 07:05 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by firebirdman469
I just ordered my Level 4 with vacuum modulation...What a great customer experience!! Vince is the man!! I will post how much I like it once it is built and I have the opportunity to put it in. I can't wait to beat on it!!
Thanks for your order. I know that we had many pm's and phone calls to help you make this decision. I guaranty that you will be happy with it.

Im going to bump it up to a 200 shot and sparay it out of the hole. The 9" and bogart/slick combo along with the cage is going in soon. I am sure I will find out in May as thats when Brainerd opens up I believe!
Make sure to let us know how it all works out. Now you just need to fix that old head gasket. Make sure to get some video of the runs. Vince
Old 03-05-2008, 10:35 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by joecar
Vince,

I've worked in my Dad's transmission shop a long time ago (...before the age of the PCM and the PC...),
and from viewing this thread I have to say: very impressive, excellent attention to detail,
very clean and methodical and precise, you don't leave anything to chance...

and the dyno is just out of this world, I imagine it is your greatest tool...

Your posts in this thread show that you believe in the product you build, you don't see this from many companies anymore.

Cheers,
Joe
Joe you know statements like yours mean a lot to me. Also what you said is 100% true. We do a nice job here and as you see it in the picture is exactly the way I do it each and every day. Thank you for the comment. Vince

Absolutely. I was blown away when I visited their shop. Attention to detail is an understatement. It's not hard to see why FLT builds the baddest, toughest unit you can buy!
Old 03-09-2008, 08:54 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Because you asked. Here are a few shots of what we do to resurface our pumps. We feel that this is a good practice to ensure that the pump surface is true and not warped. If it is not perfectly flat cross leaks can cause failures. Also if the pump pocket is worn a loss of pressure happens. Here is a photo of what most well worn used pumps look like before they are machined.

We have a fixture that we use here in house on our lathe to resurface our pumps. Here is a photo of the fixture set up for machining the stator side of the pump.

Here is a photo of the stator side of the pump set up in our fixture before machining.

Here are a couple photo's of the machining process.

Here is the finished product.

Here is the fixture set up for machining the pump body.

Here is a photo of a finished pump body.

The next step is to measure the pump pocket. This is very important and very precise. You would be surprised to measure a factory pump body and see how far they are off. I have found that they can be out of spec .001-.003 when measuring in different places in the same pump. Which in my opinion is a lot when building a performance unit.

Here is a photo of both halves machined and all of the pieces that we install. As you can see a lot of work goes into these pumps along with many new parts.

Enjoy the new pictures. I will start working on some more when I have time. Vince
Old 03-13-2008, 07:31 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by uphigh07
sweet, thats quality now
Every detail of these transmissions inside and out. I personally guarantee it!

Originally Posted by joecar
The joys of having a lathe...
Joe I have to tell you I honestly could never again work without one. How some guys do it is beyond me. Every shop I have ever worked in had one. And without one you are just another shop.

On average, how much material do you remove? Can you mill them more than once....for instance during a refresh or is there no need once it's been done once? Just curious.
That is a good question hawk. On most pumps we are only taking .002-.003 to just clean them up and make them true again. Sometimes more if they are damaged more so than others. I do watch how much total is coming off on every one that I machine. As far as can they be done more than once? The answer is yes they can be surfaced. It really depends on how much was taken the time before. I personally would never like to see more than .020-.030 come off a pump and reuse it. The thing is as long as the converter spacing is set properly when the installer puts the trans in, it should never be a problem. This is a rule of thumb on converter spacing. If gap distance is between .060" and .187" it is OK to bolt up the torque converter. If the gap is greater than .187" install a .060" flat washer( or one that gets you with in the tolerances) between the torque converter and flexplate. This will allow the proper spacing for the pump. Good question and thanks for asking.

Thanks for the questions and comments. Vince
Old 04-25-2008, 06:35 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by TopFlite
Wow, those clutch packs and band are monstrous!

Thanks for taking the time to check it out. Vince
Old 06-11-2008, 07:45 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by CHRISPY
I didn't realize you guys have a dyno that you run all the transmissions on, that is awesome!

It's an awesome piece of equipment to ensure that our customers transmissions are thoroughly tested before they bolt them in. It's even better when the customer is at the shop watching their trans being dynoed before they pick it up, the look on their face is priceless
Old 06-14-2008, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
Here is a photo of the reverse input drum.

Vince, loving the read, it's fascinating to see just how much work goes into your units.

On the pic of the rev input drum there is a weld around the outside of the hub. Looks fresh, is that something you do and if so could you explain it?

Last edited by chargedvx6; 06-15-2008 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:58 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
Vince:

A few months back you mentioned that building a 6L80 was on the backburner. I'm seeing guys starting to break them more often. Are you going to jump in now?
We hopefully have one in the works that I'm hoping to get started on soon. It is for another sponsor here I believe, just have not seen the trans yet. I have not seen much offered for this trans yet other than converters. So I guess for now we will wait and see.

Originally Posted by chargedvx6
Vince, loving the read, it's fascinating to see just how much work goes into your units.

On the pic of the rev input drum there is a weld around the outside of the hub. Looks fresh, is that something you do and if so could you explain it?
That is a factory weld. The reason for it is because the drum is two pieces. What you see on the outside is attached to a stamped piece on the inside that houses the apply piston and the frictions and steels.

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
when mine takes a ****, and i know it will eventually, i will be calling FLT up.
When you are ready we will be here.

BUMP
Sorry for the late reply I have been away for a bit on vacation.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:12 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Thanks, it is appreciated. This is one of the best threads that I've ever come across anywhere. Top effort.
Thank you. This thread is really Hawk262's thread that I with his permission. I wanted you guy's to see not only what we do, but also to learn what is really inside these transmissions. I have had fun with it and hope to find some more time to add to it. Your comment is appreciated. Vince
Old 06-23-2008, 06:41 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by cavmattz24
I picked up my FLT Level 5 trans last week and I tell you what.... The guys there are great! I didn't have the pleasure of meeting Vince (I think he was on a beach somewhere ), but the time I spent talking with Chuck was great. One of the nicest people I have met in a while now. He explained to me (in terms I could understand) what goes into these beauties and showed me some of the parts as he talked. The longer I was there, the better I felt about my purchase... I really can't believe the time and care that they put into every transmission to ensure customer satisfaction everytime.

After this experiance I know that if I ever need another trans... I will be going straight to FLT and recommend that everyone else does the same!

Thanks,

Matt
Sorry to miss you Matt and yes I was on the beach in West Palm Springs Florida. I was on a short vacation for a wedding on 6/11-6/16. Good to hear that your experience was what every customer deserves. Thank you. Vince
Old 06-25-2008, 08:06 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by cavmattz24
I picked up my FLT Level 5 trans last week and I tell you what.... The guys there are great! I didn't have the pleasure of meeting Vince (I think he was on a beach somewhere ), but the time I spent talking with Chuck was great. One of the nicest people I have met in a while now. He explained to me (in terms I could understand) what goes into these beauties and showed me some of the parts as he talked. The longer I was there, the better I felt about my purchase... I really can't believe the time and care that they put into every transmission to ensure customer satisfaction everytime.

After this experiance I know that if I ever need another trans... I will be going straight to FLT and recommend that everyone else does the same!

Thanks,

Matt
Thanks Matt,

It's nice to see another fast S10 in the works with one of our transmissions supporting the power. Keep us posted on the progress! I'll be looking for that truck in August when I'm driving through Eau Claire. lol

Quick Reply: FLT takes the wow factor!!! Lot of Pics