Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Th350 Questions -

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Th350 Questions -

Hey, I'm having a car delivered tomorrow, and I'm kinda nervous about the Th350. I'm not really excited about having to shift the gears myself because I'm lazy like that. I have heard these are very strong and great for the track and can hold good power, my question is - Can I have it fixed to where it shifts on its own? Does this have something to do with the fact that the torque converter doesnt lock up?

On a different topic

If I want a VERY strong tranny for power upgrades later, but still want the ability for the car to shift itself from a "D" position, what is the best tranny to go with? I'm wanting to eventually have a good 10sec. car that I can take on the HotRod Power Tour. The cam I have now is a big Trex that specs for a 4000 stall and gears, I have a 4400 coming in this Th350, any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-21-2007, 08:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So much has been talked about on this topic its not even funny...

4L80s are awsome, but very very pricey and for somone who drives there high hp car alot on the street

Week end warrior/secound car but still very streetable depending on gear TH trannies

4L60Es expensive also, but best for a daily driver but can still blow up......

Thats the cliff notes in some sort of a sense
Old 10-22-2007, 03:15 AM
TECH Resident

You will have to remove the manual valve body and put an auto valve body back in. Then it will shift for itself.
The manual valve body is not that hard to get used too. I have a RMVB and its almost second nature for me to shift all the time. you get used to it real quick.

The 4L80E is probably your best bet but its an expensive transmission.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by revtime
You will have to remove the manual valve body and put an auto valve body back in. Then it will shift for itself.
The manual valve body is not that hard to get used too. I have a RMVB and its almost second nature for me to shift all the time. you get used to it real quick.

The 4L80E is probably your best bet but its an expensive transmission.

Do 4l80e's hold up pretty well??

I think this is a RMVB also, so I'll see in a few hours if i like it or not!!
Old 10-22-2007, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Unless you build them wrong, 4L80E's are pretty much indestructible for most applications. RMVB's are a blast on the street, don't wuss out and go with an automatic valve body
Old 10-22-2007, 07:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm liking the shifting on my own thing, but I hate the shifter, I'm going to have to either adjust it or something, it's killing me, it doesnt seem to lock in very well and I can bypass 3rd and go to neutral or R EASILY! not cool
what shifter you runnin?
Old 10-22-2007, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Strahley
Unless you build them wrong, 4L80E's are pretty much indestructible for most applications. RMVB's are a blast on the street, don't wuss out and go with an automatic valve body
our cars are VERY similar except i'm a 4500 stall and BIG cam
Old 10-28-2007, 03:17 AM
11 Second Club

you can get a th350 valvebody setup so that 1st & 2nd can be manually shifted. D (or 3rd) is auto in all gears. This is how mine is currently, swapping for rmvb transbrake soon. One thing that i noticed with my th350 is that part throttle shifts are short/too soon and WOT shifts are too soon, if i run with it in (D). This can be adjusted by the modulator & by making changes inside the valvebody. Not sure which does what but one does part throttle shift points where the other does WOT shift points.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So your saying I can have the tranny in it now set up to be an automatic valve body that does the shifting for me? But then do if I want to shift it at the the track is the performance / quickness of the shifts affected any at all?
Post some pics of your setups inside the car!
Old 10-28-2007, 01:06 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by dochall22
So your saying I can have the tranny in it now set up to be an automatic valve body that does the shifting for me? But then do if I want to shift it at the the track is the performance / quickness of the shifts affected any at all?
Post some pics of your setups inside the car!
yes you can, that is how my th350 is,, get a good quality shift kit and you will have full auto shifts in drive,, and be able to upshift and downshift manually at any speeds
Old 10-28-2007, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Does the shifts stay firm and quick like they are now? If I can get this TH350 working the way i want it, I'll just smack a gear vendors unit on the back and call it a day!
Old 10-28-2007, 04:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by dochall22
Does the shifts stay firm and quick like they are now? If I can get this TH350 working the way i want it, I'll just smack a gear vendors unit on the back and call it a day!
yes shifts are firm and fast